Panasonic Versus Sony

Panasonic versus Sony 32 inch LCD TV

Hello all,

I would like to know if anybody has had experienced between Panasonic and Sony LCD TVs.

I posted a message yesterday regarding connecting my equipment that I own as I want to purchase an LCD TV.

With regard to the two brands does anyone have a preference?

Had a look J. B. hi-fi website to compare the two models. Sony has three hdmi Panasonic has 2.

I have two DVD recorders, Foxtel satellite,, Topfield recorder, joytech Electronics switcher. Panasonic Carousel five disc DVD player.

At the moment all are connected by composite to my 51 cm television.

I was thinking of trying to connect the DVD recorders and television by hdmi if possible.

The only thing is the DVD recorders and Topfield are in a cabinet which is on the opposite side of the room to where the television and DVD player are on the wall.

Can everything still be connected with that distance apart?

As previously posted I am a quadriplegic and will need someone to install and connect the cable but I want information beforehand to get the right things done and anything, I might need.

Also the bracket which is needed the name of a quality brand purchase for the television.

There was a previous posting by another friend in my other message regarding connecting equipment giving me the name of the place to purchase from because of other places charge over the top.

But I'm not sure which one to get to suit my needs for the television.

Was going to change my mind and buy another 51 cm television because where I live they ago to build another place opposite us to move into but that mightn't be for another two years so I think I will get the LCD now.

Sorry that all sounds a bit complicated but I need information beforehand to purchase and connect.

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards Mark

i suspect given their sole focus on LCD - that Sony would probably be better. I'd take a Panny plasma over a Sony- but LCD vs LCD i'd say Sony would probably come out on top. By the way, you can buy very long HDMI cables... so i don't think you should have trouble connecting them.

wheels. I went through something similar for my parents tv in their study. their 51cm we thought had packed up. I looked aroudn for a flat panel replacement. to be honest I wasnt satisfied. I then looked around at 51cm crt replacments and they were even worse !

I went back had a look at the tv and found a fuse gone which for under a $1 got it going again.

today if had to replace again I'd look on ebay. you would be suprised at the lovely crt tvs people are throwing away for much much less than what a 32cm lcd costs and in PQ terms the crt you can buy will romp all over the lcds.

maybe another option ?

I just bought the new Sony 40" W400A ... for the 32, IMHO, the Panasonic 700 is the best there is .... I originally wanted the panasonic, but I couldn't get any stock in Singapore, so I started looking at the Sony 40" and since I inteded to use as a bedroom tv/PC TV, LCD was a better option for this set up.....

the Sony looses a bit of colour when you look at it in an angle, even though you can still see the picture... the pana 32 700 is perfect from any angle you look at it ... if they made that in 40" 1080p ... I would have got a panasonic instead....

the difference between the 70 and 700 model, besides the better contrast is the sound ... the 700 has very good built-in speakers... perhaps it may not justify the price difference (aud$300) here in sing between the 70 and 700 model... but looking at them side by side.. the 700 won hands down... beating even Sony .....

if your budget streches that far and you can get hold of stock the 32 700 is great.

there is also a 37" 1080p model being launched soon ... I haven't seen one in person, but "What Hi Fi" review suggests is no improvement over the 32" 700 PQ .....

I just bought the new Sony 40" W400A ... for the 32, IMHO, the Panasonic 700 is the best there is .... I originally wanted the panasonic, but I couldn't get any stock in Singapore, so I started looking at the Sony 40" and since I inteded to use as a bedroom tv/PC TV, LCD was a better option for this set up.....

the Sony looses a bit of colour when you look at it in an angle, even though you can still see the picture... the pana 32 700 is perfect from any angle you look at it ... if they made that in 40" 1080p ... I would have got a panasonic instead....

the difference between the 70 and 700 model, besides the better contrast is the sound ... the 700 has very good built-in speakers... perhaps it may not justify the price difference (aud$300) here in sing between the 70 and 700 model... but looking at them side by side.. the 700 won hands down... beating even Sony .....

if your budget streches that far and you can get hold of stock the 32 700 is great.

there is also a 37" 1080p model being launched soon ... I haven't seen one in person, but "What Hi Fi" review suggests is no improvement over the 32" 700 PQ .....

Hello all again,

Thank you for the input.

Regarding my 51 cm it is a Sanyo stereo which was bought in 2000. There were two models back then one with headphones socket and another without. I need a headphone socket where I live in my situation.

It was bought at brashes at Bankstown Square in Sydney and was only sold their.

It has 3 av inputs,av3 scart on the rear which is where I have everything connected to (DVD recorders Topfield recorder Foxtel satellite.

av2 front RCA inputs using second Foxtel sound and video only to watch when recording on both DVD recorders free to air programs.

av1 rear second input round plug connected to my DVD player can't remember the name of the type of connection better picture quality than RCA it just escapes my mind at the moment.

I called Sanyo today to buy another one a later version but they only have two av inputs which is no good to me. As I need to replicate my existing situation.

There was a 68 cm model that replicates the above but that is too big to put on the shelf with the existing one is. It is also about $500 so if I put another 500+ to the price of the TV I can get the LCD Panasonic. I can get it for $1500 from TV hi-fi or less if I buy the updated pioneer DVD recorder which I want to my existing Pioneer which is the same but has only 160 GB hard drive the other one is 250 GB.

So I was calling all around Sydney today looking to the 51 cm which could replace this one when I finally did I found out about the only 2 inputs too late as the technician said he had three inputs.

So now I will get the Panasonic LCD as I was told by one shop that Panasonic is better quality up to 32cm and the Sony is better above that.

The only reason I was holding off getting LCD was my television working fine until this week with the colour is going up and down just noticeable at the moment but I can't be without a television which probably sound strange but I record a lot of television on both DVD recorders and Topfield and also Foxtel.

Also was the fact I need a headphone socket and until tonight when of looking into jbhi-fi at the two models in the specifications and found that they both have headphone socket's which surprised me so I would have got a LCD a bit sooner looking into it.

I could not go above 32 cm where I need to fix it on the wall unfortunately.

The amount of time I spent on the telephone today looking for a Sanyo and then finding out about the inputs really annoyed me as was given the wrong information so now looking at the specifications of the LCD and inputs in all covers everything I need.

I just worried about what to do to get better picture quality out of my DVD recorders in the new television LCD instead of using composite.

I don't think there would be long enough.hdmi to go from one side of the room to the other about 30 feet.

I might be wrong but anyway it looks like my only option is LCD because if I try to fix my one in my cost couple of hundred dollars which could go to a new one as I would have to get my one picked up and taken away to be repaired if possible which all costs.

Thank you all for your input again, I only just saw the posts, as I had the immediate reply notification something happened didn't get them

Regards Mark PS sorry for the long reply probably tedious to read and most people.