Sign in to follow this  
Caprica13

Toshiba Service - Very Good - Sent Me A New Xe1

Hi there.

I see a lot of people dumping on Toshiba and their customer service as of late, so I thought I would relay a fantastic experience I had dealing with Toshiba recently. The happy ending is that Toshiba sent me a brand new unopened XE1 which I picked up just last Thursday.

Purchased an XE1 around a month ago. Soon afterwards, the unit started playing up – noisy fan and read errors on the drive. Firmware flashing did not help.

Took the unit to my friendly local repair centre. Told them exactly what I needed – drive replacement to address read issues and a new quiter fan. Figured I would have a battle on my hands with these “softer” problems. Received a call from my repair centre 3 days later saying that Toshiba said that rather than repairing a brand new machine, they sent a replacement unit. Fantastic. But, he warned me – the box didn’t look brand new – could be a repack. I figured, no issues – I’d take a look and if it works, all good. After all, I can’t really expect my brand new unit (2 weeks old at this point) to be replaced by another new unit can I?

So I pick up the replacement unit – indeed, the box looks like it’s been around the block a few times. Brought it home and unpacked it. The replacement unit was badly scratched, had dirt on the bag, dust on the front and massive glue residue from the security tags that stores put on them when on display. The glue residue was so extreme that the bag around the machine stuck to the unit and ripped bag when removed. I decide that this is not on, pack it up without even plugging in, call up the repair centre and ask him to get Toshiba to do something better for me.

He calls back an hour later saying that Toshiba won’t talk to him and I need to call Toshiba. I call Toshiba service and talk to an unhelpful technician. I ask to be put through to customer service – not allowed. I ask to be put through to his manager – not allowed. In fact, all I am allowed to do is to send an email asking for the issue to be addressed. After some discussions around contacting ACCC and the media, I get a high priority escalation done for me. Sure enough Toshiba call me a couple of days later saying that they will send me a brand new machine. I ask them “but hang on a sec, you don’t have any brand new ones in the country” and they assure me that it is a brand new machine in box. Awesome! So I wait. And wait…and wait some more. I contact them again about a week later. Turns out my unit will be getting shipped that same day (coincidence). Hang on a sec, I ask them, "but weren’t you going to send my machine 5 days ago?" <Uncomfortable silence>…I ask them to get me a con note, and the machine turns up with the service centre 24 hours later. Rockin!!! I unpack it and it’s superlative. The serial is SLD 78XXXX indicating it’s of a later production run – no noise, reliable drive read (so far), brand spanking new - not even a local Toshiba box open sticker on it. I am a happy camper.

So there you go – Toshiba’s customer service. You really can't ask for more than this can you?

I hope that was all tounge in cheek Caprica because that service was anything but service....

I wonder if they get the CS people from Centrelink :rolleyes:

No, their marketing people have been "re-deployed" :P

No, their marketing people have been "re-deployed" :P

Didnt know they had marketing people?

I ask to be put through to customer service – not allowed. I ask to be put through to his manager – not allowed.

This alone puts them in the sin bin.

I've read a lot of flack on here about Toshiba. And I've dealt with them directly many times when working at a retailer (PCs). Of all the PC manufacturers Toshiba was ALWAYS the best to deal with.

I think what's important here is that there are MANY divisions of Toshiba, all of which are separate from each other.

It looks to me like the whole redemption problem stems from two things:

a. them using a 3rd party for fulfilment. however they should have more control over what they do.

b. the massive price drops in the players causing a massive and unexpected increase in sales during the promotion period. they COULD have stopped the promotion but they didn't, with the titles changing as a result

I know that the service/support side of their PC business is top notch, both for retailers and consumers (there's always exceptions of course).

The incident described here does not look good, and seems to indicate that their AV area, which is likely to be very small in Australia (especially compared to PCs), is both understaffed and under-educated. The death of HD may indeed be a good thing based on this, since that department's days will be numbered.

All my personal opinion of course...

Edited by gstok

praying my player holds up now... sounds like they could be in hot water re spare parts, what happens when they run out of players to cannibalise??

Sheesh - Toshiba still **** customer service..

All they did was replace your DOA goods with a new one, treated you badly and stuffed you around for something they had to do anyway (law).

U shoulda just taken it back to the retailer and demanded a refund... when they shipped you a second-hand one, you should have told them you wanted a refund and baught a Bluray player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that enough !!'s?) nar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I'll never buy another toshiba good or service again.

Cheers,

Bitey

I don't know you from Adam, Caprica. This is not directed at you as I have no idea about what happened and what you have said happened. I know Toshiba do have a small team in AV and the issues raised could well be a problem within Toshiba AV group. I don't know how you acted on the phone however, what type of person you are, apologies if you are a well mannered, polite, and understanding individual. I just recall reading in this forum someone making complaints about customer service in another thread of this forum and knowing the store found it suprising. People tended to suggest it was really bad of the store and they shouldn't get peoples money. I had the displeasure of running into this person off the forum one day, and after talking to the person and finding them to be a rude arrogant twat I doubted the story and felt sorry for the store that had no right of reply really.

I doubt Caprica you are anything like this other user, and that the failures of Toshiba in dealing with this properly and promptly are similar to how you have documented given the small group they have and the lack of training of the people dealing with HD DVD. But be careful when you write these things in a public forum as I have had dealings with Toshiba that have been fantastic. We shouldn't let a bad experience be the basis of judging an entire company. If I had the problem you did I would write to the company and explain the issue before writing on here. Give their management the opportunity to sort things out, they may not be aware of the problem.

Oh and btw the Contract of Sale is between you and the seller, not Toshiba. The seller has to supply goods that are of merchantable quality and free from defect. The seller has buck passed by making you deal with Toshiba, it is them a claim with the ACCC could be made.

Sheesh - Toshiba still **** customer service..

All they did was replace your DOA goods with a new one, treated you badly and stuffed you around for something they had to do anyway (law).

U shoulda just taken it back to the retailer and demanded a refund... when they shipped you a second-hand one, you should have told them you wanted a refund and baught a Bluray player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that enough !!'s?) nar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I'll never buy another toshiba good or service again.

Cheers,

Bitey

Bitey just one little technical hitch with your plan of action, how would you play your stock of HD DVDs on a Blu ray. I think toshiba will mostly do repair by replacement which is one reason I bought back up players. once you have a reasonable number of discs no matter how cheap you do want to throw them out as nothing to play them on in three years. cheers alan

Edited by austruckie07

Austruckie07 - fair point however - i'd write them (HD DVD discs) off (and flog em on here/ebay)... .. Eventually you will not be able to play them; the player will die and no replacement/repair will be possible.. Im just thinking longer term and it would have been a good oppertunity to get out (while they still have some value).

Cheers,

Bitey

You have to be kidding there is not one element of good customer service to your experience. Further confirms my decision not to buy Toshiba again.

I don't know you from Adam, Caprica. This is not directed at you as I have no idea about what happened and what you have said happened. I know Toshiba do have a small team in AV and the issues raised could well be a problem within Toshiba AV group. I don't know how you acted on the phone however, what type of person you are, apologies if you are a well mannered, polite, and understanding individual. I just recall reading in this forum someone making complaints about customer service in another thread of this forum and knowing the store found it suprising. People tended to suggest it was really bad of the store and they shouldn't get peoples money. I had the displeasure of running into this person off the forum one day, and after talking to the person and finding them to be a rude arrogant twat I doubted the story and felt sorry for the store that had no right of reply really.

I doubt Caprica you are anything like this other user, and that the failures of Toshiba in dealing with this properly and promptly are similar to how you have documented given the small group they have and the lack of training of the people dealing with HD DVD. But be careful when you write these things in a public forum as I have had dealings with Toshiba that have been fantastic. We shouldn't let a bad experience be the basis of judging an entire company. If I had the problem you did I would write to the company and explain the issue before writing on here. Give their management the opportunity to sort things out, they may not be aware of the problem.

Oh and btw the Contract of Sale is between you and the seller, not Toshiba. The seller has to supply goods that are of merchantable quality and free from defect. The seller has buck passed by making you deal with Toshiba, it is them a claim with the ACCC could be made.

Hi there.

I decided to post my experience as a way of sharing this with the HD DVD community. Let me try and respond on some of the points you have raised above.

Firstly, I don't think that a company's infrastructure should be something that a customer needs to work within. When I purchased the machine, no one said to me "by the way, X has a small support/sales group so you may not get the service level you expect from them". I purchased my machine in good faith from a highly reputable brand and expected world class service and support. As Toshiba back up their players with a 2 year warranty (vs. usual 1 year) I bought with the confidence that the company stands by their product. Whether the product is on the way out should be irrelevant. That's why you go out and buy a name brand good.

I have relayed to the best of my ability, step by step the experience I had. Irrespective of training/staffing, I believe there is an element of common sense when it comes to handling customers. Just as you don't sell a rotten tomato in a veg shop shop (or if you do, expect unhappy customers), you don't send out a piece of equipment that looks like dog's breakfast. I have NEVER seen a piece of gear where a large manufacturer didn't even bother cleaning retail demo adhesive glue off before sending it off as a replacement to a brand new piece of equipment. I would hazard a guess that my experience may not be isolated (and would welcome feedback from any other community members here). I'd also like to say that I struggle a little bit with your comment around being an understanding individual. When you purchase something and then need service or support, a company should go out of their way to address it in the shortest time possible. Many companies commit to a next business day service and honor it. It took just under 2 weeks b/w the time I dropped off my machine and got a good one in exchange, and there was a lot of work on my end to get this resolved in that time.

I have already done what you suggested, having submitted in writing my issue and asking for a resolution. Toshiba's customer service was great (once I got a hold of them), but they needed prompting along the way to keep things moving. No one from management contacted me as a follow-up to ensure all went ok after the trials and tribulations.

The seller absolutely did not pass the buck on this one. I knew for a fact that I had purchased the last XE1 that they had and there was no chance of a replacement. Further the store was far away and impractical to deal with. I could have asked for a refund, but I wanted to retain the XE1 for my use. I went straight to Toshiba service to rectify the issue, I did not demand a replacement unit - I just wanted a drive that worked and a fan that didn't whail while I watched my movies.

Look, at the end of the day I am happy with the final outcome as I said above and I LOVE my new XE1. It's just that it took a bit of work to lead the company to the right fix to my issue. The story is humorous and must be shared. These guys have some work to do to make the experience a little easier.