Sign in to follow this  
terryansimon

Pioneer 508xda And Sbs Hd

i am sure that it is not a channel issue - it is too widespread. It must be a tuner issue - i will put the house on it.

That will fix the problem. The weight of the house will stop the Pio from resyncing. :lol:

Cabernet

I'm in Canberra and noticed the same 'syncing' issue with SBS HD

seems to lock-on about 2 or 3 times in the first few minutes, then it seems okay

cheers

S

That will fix the problem. The weight of the house will stop the Pio from resyncing. :lol:

Cabernet

Pioneers's are pretty tough you know!!

Did you notice that my HDMI thread was deleted last night Cabernet?

Apparently selling items on this board is not allowed - just waiting to see if the other sellers get deleted also or they are just protecting the senior members who have been selling for months.

We had SBS (SD, HS, News and Radio channels) disappear completely from our (507) TV last week. The TV simply said "station not in service" or something when we tried switching to 3 or 30, and skipped directly to the next channel if we used the up/down buttons.

This afternoon I cleared all the stations and rescanned to bring SBS back, but a few hours later (as we turned a light out) SBS froze and is gone again.

It's like the tuner is sensitive to power fluctuations or something, but mostly with SBS. I might give Pioneer a call on Monday.

The 507 tuner is fine, you must just be having some sort of other issue. The 508 tuner has a problem.

Edited by Stone

How odd. As long as I've had the 507 I've had the same "SBS retuning" problem described in this topic.

terryansimon, Teko & spalmills,

Ok my turn, the pio techs came out Friday afternoon and this is what transpired:

Pio service guys checked my tv antenna and said it was an excellent tv antenna, then checked all my signal strengths and they were all 100% so that rules those out as possible problem areas for me at least.

Channel 7: The service guys said that Channel 7 are playing around with their broadcast signals at source and also they are having teletext problems.

Channel SBS: He said that the re-synch tends to be at about 6.15pm, when people start tuning in to the SBS News broadcast.

We told him we do not watch SBS News. We told them we do watch SBS but mainly movies, he took a heap of notes while we were talking.

He said that they will get to the bottom of these issues and that the Pioneer Japan and Australia engineers are talking to the SBS engineers.

He also said that once they do have a fix they (Pioneer) will be sending out their service guys to apply the firmware upgrades for us all that have registered this problem.

In their defense they trying to work this out, but i will still be periodically caling them for update.

As for me i will be connecting my Strong HD SRT 5400 STB to the Pio 508XDA as the Champions , Euro and FA cup finals are on in the month of may and i am not going to try to sit through re-syncs every so often while trying to watch these games.

koaz

Edited by KOAZ

Channel SBS: He said that the re-synch tends to be at about 6.15pm, when people start tuning in to the SBS News broadcast.

koaz

How odd. This is FTA. SBS just broadcast and does it matter how many people tuned in to SBS. Does it mean that when MORE of us watch SBS the Re-synching problem gets worst. :lol:

BTW from 6pm is the time I usually watch SBS, Global Village, World News etc.

Regards

Cabernet

Ok my turn, the pio techs came out Friday afternoon and this is what transpired:

Pio service guys checked my tv antenna and said it was an excellent tv antenna, then checked all my signal strengths and they were all 100% so that rules those out as possible problem areas for me at least.

Channel 7: The service guys said that Channel 7 are playing around with their broadcast signals at source and also they are having teletext problems.

We told him we do not watch SBS News. We told them we do watch SBS but mainly movies, he took a heap of notes while we were talking.

He said that they will get to the bottom of these issues and that the Pioneer Japan and Australia engineers are talking to the SBS engineers.

He also said that once they do have a fix they (Pioneer) will be sending out their service guys to apply the firmware upgrades for us all that have registered this problem.

In their defense they trying to work this out, but i will still be periodically caling them for update.

As for me i will be connecting my Strong HD SRT 5400 STB to the Pio 508XDA as the Champions , Euro and FA cup finals are on in the month of may and i am not going to try to sit through re-syncs every so often while trying to watch these games.

koaz

Thanks for the info mate :)

The re sync happens at any time of the day for me - i think they must have come to this conclusion due to others reporting this and not watching SBS any other times. I have the tv on now and just changed to SBS HD at 3:11PM and guess what - re synch!! The time of day has no bearing on this issue for me - nor for channel 7. But strangely enough doesnt do it a second time - its been on for about 20mins and hasnt re syched after initial one in first 10 seconds.

The 6:15 thing is bollocks as far as i'm concerned.

If i hook my HD set top box to this TV then that should mean that the issue is still there. I have the HD set top box set up to my previous tv and no resynch on either channel - so it has to be the pioneer tuner doesnt it???

If i hook my HD set top box to this TV then that should mean that the issue is still there. I have the HD set top box set up to my previous tv and no resynch on either channel - so it has to be the pioneer tuner doesnt it???

I agree with you Spalmills. My previous Pioneer plasma (433HDG) was hooked up to a Panasonic QTR4120 for 4 years and 3 months: never a problem with SBS or any other channel. My Sharp CRT 68cm is hooked up to a Pioneer SH-DT500 for yonks: never a problem with SBS or any other channel. The 428XDA was delivered in place of the 433 (warranty issue) and from day one had problems with SBS re-synching constantly once it starts to do it (this could happen at any time of the day - certainly not confined to the news). It then became unwatchable and I had to change inputs to go to Foxtel if I wished to keep watching SBS. That 428 was replaced because of a broken bezel and the new 428 has also done exactly the same thing, constantly re-synching on SBS to the point where I give up and go over to Foxtel to continue watching SBS. I haven't had any other tuner problems with the 428's on channels other than SBS unless you call finding the channel and then losing it and then finding it again and then being steady. So I would say it has to be a tuner issue. My 508XDA is still not with me but I sure as h*** hope it doesn't do this as well.

Edited by bantam

I agree with you Spalmills. My previous Pioneer plasma (433HDG) was hooked up to a Panasonic QTR4120 for 4 years and 3 months: never a problem with SBS or any other channel. My Sharp CRT 68cm is hooked up to a Pioneer SH-DT500 for yonks: never a problem with SBS or any other channel. The 428XDA was delivered in place of the 433 (warranty issue) and from day one had problems with SBS re-synching constantly once it starts to do it (this could happen at any time of the day - certainly not confined to the news). It then became unwatchable and I had to change inputs to go to Foxtel if I wished to keep watching SBS. That 428 was replaced because of a broken bezel and the new 428 has also done exactly the same thing, constantly re-synching on SBS to the point where I give up and go over to Foxtel to continue watching SBS. I haven't had any other tuner problems with the 428's on channels other than SBS unless you call finding the channel and then losing it and then finding it again and then being steady. So I would say it has to be a tuner issue. My 508XDA is still not with me but I sure as h*** hope it doesn't do this as well.

Hi Bantam,

sorry to hear you are also having this issue. The resych issue is a one off for me - it will bewteen 1-10 seconds of changing the channel to SBS or 7 and then its fine. still strange though. I will hook up the set top box later and see if it fixes it as i am sure it will be. it will certainly fix the channel change lag. Just dont want to have a set top box permanently hooked up to tv that has a hd tuner in it - seems such a waste let alone ridiculous

The re sync happens at any time of the day for me - i think they must have come to this conclusion due to others reporting this and not watching SBS any other times. I have the tv on now and just changed to SBS HD at 3:11PM and guess what - re synch!! The time of day has no bearing on this issue for me - nor for channel 7. But strangely enough doesnt do it a second time - its been on for about 20mins and hasnt re syched after initial one in first 10 seconds.

+ 1 for me too Spalmills (except for HD set top - don't have one so can't try). It sounds like Pioneer are consistent with their story Koaz as this is what they told me. Cheers.

I got my 508XDA on Friday. The pioneer guys came to install it. SBS worked for about 5 mins until they left...

Now it barely works. I called Pioneer on Saturday and they said someone will call me back today or tomorrow for a wednesday service call.

i'll keep you posted.

Besides that, watching Carlton smash the Eagles on the new TV is incredible.

+ 1 for me too Spalmills (except for HD set top - don't have one so can't try). It sounds like Pioneer are consistent with their story Koaz as this is what they told me. Cheers.

teko,

This is what I did yesterday:

A/ I disconnected (physically unplugged the aerial lead from Pio Ant Out to Pio Analogue Ant In altogether) the analogue tuner on the 508xda. If I ever do want to watch any analogue stations (i.e. Ch31) i can do this through the Pana DMR-EX75.

B/ Connected all devices (Pio 508XDA , DVDR and HD STB) as per below:

Aerial -> HD Strong SRT-5400 STB Ant In, HD Strong SRT-5400 STB Ant Out-> Pana DMR-EX75 Ant In, Pana DMR-EX75 Ant Out -> 508XDA Ant In.

Since i have done this i have not had any SBS/HD SBS or channel /HD7 re-sync issues at all.

koaz

Edited by KOAZ

Ours went in on Friday and we have same Ch7 & SBS sync problem. Also noticed other stations like the Win/NSW Govt channels 40+ are very weak where as on the toppy they are solid, so i suspect the internal tuner is less forgiving than others. I am going to try the loop out fix like DVDuser has and see. After i have had a chance to track the problem over this week and i will put in a call to Pio tech as well.

End of the day this is the 1st time in 3+yrs i have watched live TV without a PVR, cant see that lasting too long, ads last night during the logies drove me mad.

teko,

This is what I did yesterday:

A/ I disconnected (physically unplugged the aerial lead from Pio Ant Out to Pio Analogue Ant In altogether) the analogue tuner on the 508xda. If I ever do want to watch any analogue stations (i.e. Ch31) i can do this through the Pana DMR-EX75.

B/ Connected all devices (Pio 508XDA , DVDR and HD STB) as per below:

Aerial -> HD Strong SRT-5400 STB Ant In, HD Strong SRT-5400 STB Ant Out-> Pana DMR-EX75 Ant In, Pana DMR-EX75 Ant Out -> 508XDA Ant In.

Since i have done this i have not had any SBS/HD SBS or channel /HD7 re-sync issues at all.

koaz

As i mentioned before, it cant be a channel issue its a tuner issue otherwise it would still be doing it with a set top box hooked up to it and every other tv owner would have this issue also.

glad you have yours sorted out koaz

Edited by spalmills

i had the 507xda 50'' for 1+ years,no problems

have the lx508 50'' for 6 months now and have the reported channel dropouts on 7 and sbs

green bars all perfect signal strength AND quality (from pioneer and topfield)

topfield masterpiece never drops out.ever

Another problem i have is that when i view the topfield through component via video1 it refuses to lock onto the signal properly.

To explain further:The furthest right of the picture is missing the information (about one inch worth)

I can get it to lock on again by selecting menu then picture (as if i was to adjust the image)

Then over the course of the next minute it will slowly creep back to where it was before.

Anyone else ??

Edited by NTSC

i had the 507xda 50'' for 1+ years,no problems

have the lx508 50'' for 6 months now and have the reported channel dropouts on 7 and sbs

green bars all perfect signal strength AND quality (from pioneer and topfield)

topfield masterpiece never drops out.ever

Another problem i have is that when i view the topfield through component via video1 it refuses to lock onto the signal properly.

To explain further:The furthest right of the picture is missing the information (about one inch worth)

I can get it to lock on again by selecting menu then picture (as if i was to adjust the image)

Then over the course of the next minute it will slowly creep back to where it was before.

Anyone else ??

Thats a new one to me !!

As i mentioned before, it cant be a channel issue its a tuner issue otherwise it would still be doing it with a set top box hooked up to it and every other tv owner would have this issue also.

glad you have yours sorted out koaz

spalmills

I am not going to sit their and have issues with Ch7/SBS on the Pio508XDA. So all i did was move the HD Strong SRT 5400 STB which i had in the front room connected to my SD Pana plasma. I have now connected my old SD Strong SRT 5006 STB to the SD Pana plasma now. If any one is looking for a reliable HD STB, get the Strong SRT 5400 they are about $200.

But i will still chase Pio for a fix on this problem.

koaz

Edited by KOAZ

spalmills

I am not going to sit their and have issues with Ch7/SBS on the Pio508XDA. So all i did was move the HD Strong SRT 5400 STB which i had in the front room connected to my SD Pana plasma. I have now connected my old SD Strong SRT 5006 STB to the SD Pana plasma now. If any one is looking for a reliable HD STB, get the Strong SRT 5400 they are about $200.

But i will still chase Pio for a fix on this problem.

koaz

Do you see any pic quality difference with the hd set top box on the pio as opposed to the in built tuner Koaz ?

I have been meaning to connect mine but havent as yet

Do you see any pic quality difference with the hd set top box on the pio as opposed to the in built tuner Koaz ?

I have been meaning to connect mine but havent as yet

spalmills,

For the short time i had to compare, the PQ between the internal tuner and the Strong HD tuner is the same - amazing.

Will need to look at it for a few nights and report back again thought.

koaz

spalmills,

For the short time i had to compare, the PQ between the internal tuner and the Strong HD tuner is the same - amazing.

koaz

no probs thanks - some reviews stated that the internal tuner was a little soft - but when i watch HD stuff it looks pretty damn fine to me.

spalmills,

koaz

I'd agree with that as well - comparing between the 508xda & 5490 tuners I'd have to say there is absolutely stuff all difference, even when running the 5490 in Component or HDMI

I've tried searching this forum but I've not found anything on it (could be due to my urh... less than adequate skills in searching)... hence my question... apologies if it has been posted before, though

I notice that each time I use the inbuilt HD tuner in my Pioneer to watch FTA channels, I've got no issues. until I switch the channel to SBS HD (Channel 30 and/or 31). the channel will change with the information being displayed on the upper right hand corner telling you that you have changed the channel to D030/D031, and that it's SBS HD.

however, a few seconds later, the screen changes and it looks like as if I have changed the channel to SBS HD again. and it keeps happening sporadically. I initially thought it was the remote control, so I did unplug the batteries to the remote control, but it is still happening.

this only happens to SBS HD, and not with my other HD channels (or so I've noticed so far). it happens if I key in the channels via the keypad, or via the channel list that you call up by pressing Enter on the remote.

anybody experienced such a problem before?