I got the software upgrade yesterday and that fixes the SBS sync problem.

The software upgrade is through RS232 connection. The guy said it's due to a Flag problem.

SBS should not be using this flag and that Pioneer tuner should have ignore the flag.

Cabernet

Cabernet

Pio Tech. came today and applied the firmware fix.

I am glad to report that no more SBS and Ch7 re-sync issues.

As for me all i can say is well done pioneer.....

koaz

Edited by KOAZ
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very fast service and impressive to have a call back so quick.

On my LX508 I rang Wednesday and got a call back today - the next day to arrange a time for a tech to come out on Monday. Excelent service, best I've had all year.

I'm in Perth

Those that put in reports/complaints will get upgraded first.

Since software only hot off the ovens recently I think all 508XDA/LX will need to be upgraded.

Give Pioneer a call to have it done sooner.

Cabernet

Are these issues recent or been around for some time & are new screens affected ? Seems a bit slack for Pioneer to let these issues get through!! .Are all owners to be contacted & new firmware installed ?

got a call from Pio service person when he was in my area, no prior notification at all, on friday arvo. Anyway i couldnt make it back home and he didn't contact me again to arrange a time. First thing sat morning he called on my mob and wanted to come again, i had already left for somr prior commitments, hence my tv is still unpatched. I was very upset with the lack of communication because if i knew, i would have made it home. very disappointed.

He was specifically in our area i.e. Newcastle to service all the pioneers here, so I believe it would have been a bit more considerate of him if i knew a day before or even in the morning so i could take 10mins off work to go to my house and let him update my tv firmware. i do appreciate the service pioneer is providing overall and i am sure the service person was trying to help is any way he can but a few hours notice would have made it possible for me to get my Pio fixed.

i did report my Tv had the sbs/seven issue so i was expecting a call from Pio but 15-30mins during working hours is not enough time for most professional people to leave everything and go home to let the Pio servive person in.

So you hadn't organised anything, he just wanted to do it for you when he was in your area and had some free time? I'd say that is good work ethic, not disappointing. If you had an appointment and he didn't turn up, that would be disappointing.
Edited by Ali AR
He was specifically in our area i.e. Newcastle to service all the pioneers here, so I believe it would have been a bit more considerate of him if i knew a day before or even in the morning so i could take 10mins off work to go to my house and let him update my tv firmware. i do appreciate the service pioneer is providing overall and i am sure the service person was trying to help is any way he can but a few hours notice would have made it possible for me to get my Pio fixed.

i did report my Tv had the sbs/seven issue so i was expecting a call from Pio but 15-30mins during working hours is not enough time for most professional people to leave everything and go home to let the Pio servive person in.

I'm with you on that one Ali, its ok that they called you to see if you are available but not to expect that you are just sitting at home doing nothing..

I had a call on Friday from Pio tech and they came today and applied the firmware update. Seems to have worked although will watch sbs and 7 over the next few days to make sure. Normally when i switch to SBS HD or 7HD it would resync in the first 10 seconds or so. It isnt doing it now so fingers crossed it wont do it at all now.

Very fast service and impressive to have a call back so quick.

On my LX508 I rang Wednesday and got a call back today - the next day to arrange a time for a tech to come out on Monday. Excelent service, best I've had all year.

I'm in Perth

I agree about the excellence of Pioneer's service. Finally had my 508XDA installed on Monday (bought it on the 5th April) and of course SBS and 7 are playing up. Logged a call today with Pioneer about it and an hour later the tech people rang to organise a visit to fix it and the 428 which is also affected. They are coming next Monday! Now that's service for you.

Had mine fixed yesterday, so far so good. Got a call at 5PM to say he was on his way. Managed to rush home to meet him so yeah, a little more notice would have been nice.

From what he said, there are only around 7 sets in Adelaide being fixed. Based on that, I would suggest it's only people that have complained that will be getting the patch rather than the whole installed base which makes sense.

He did stress that the issue was due to SBS not complying with the standards which I'm not sure is true or not or if the issue is with the Pio tuner being too sensitive, or both?

Had mine fixed yesterday, so far so good. Got a call at 5PM to say he was on his way. Managed to rush home to meet him so yeah, a little more notice would have been nice.

From what he said, there are only around 7 sets in Adelaide being fixed. Based on that, I would suggest it's only people that have complained that will be getting the patch rather than the whole installed base which makes sense.

He did stress that the issue was due to SBS not complying with the standards which I'm not sure is true or not or if the issue is with the Pio tuner being too sensitive, or both?

Is there any fix for the sound variations on ABC ,Sydney , SD channel ? Is it on TEN as well ?

Is there any fix for the sound variations on ABC ,Sydney , SD channel ? Is it on TEN as well ?

the fella who came to do firmware update today said the ABC issue is not a Pioneer issue. It is related to ABC's transmission and ABC are working on that. He mentioned that owners of different brand TV's are having this issue also, although i havent looked in other threads to know if this is the case.

Lodged my fault with Pio this morning for the SBS synching problem. Whether it's coincidence or chance, however it seems to have gotten progressively worse. Didn't notice it when I first had it however drops out every 10-20 seconds consistetly now. Haven't watched enough ABC to notice the volume spike level problems however.

had mine 'updated', which seemed to resolve the SBS issues, on 3, 30 and their music channels.

However my channel 60 (Seven HD), still causes some problems. It takes much longer than the other channels to 'tune in', and sometimes just seems to be 'lost', with some static before it finally tunes in.

Anyone else having that problem?

I'm using an outdoor antenna in line of sight with the transmitter (Canberra)

No other issues with other stations (apart from the ABC1 volume fluctuation)

cheers

Satz

had mine 'updated', which seemed to resolve the SBS issues, on 3, 30 and their music channels.

However my channel 60 (Seven HD), still causes some problems. It takes much longer than the other channels to 'tune in', and sometimes just seems to be 'lost', with some static before it finally tunes in.

Anyone else having that problem?

I'm using an outdoor antenna in line of sight with the transmitter (Canberra)

No other issues with other stations (apart from the ABC1 volume fluctuation)

cheers

Satz

The Pio tech will call me next week for the installation of the 508xda, I am gonna tell the tech to bring along the firmware to fix this re-sync problem most of you have.

Anything else I should mention to the tech that others minor problems with?

Also, about the delay of changing channel. Do I need a PVR to fix that or a regular Topfield top box will fix that? Cos, I don't wants to spend on a PVR as I don't record any programs.

Edited by Beall
Also, about the delay of changing channel. Do I need a PVR to fix that or a regular Topfield top box will fix that? Cos, I don't wants to spend on a PVR as I don't record any programs.

Any other 'tuning' device will fix it. STB or PVR, won't matter. The tuner on the 508 is a POS. Not configurable enough even on the most basic of levels. IE: Cannot delete unwanted channels, cannot arrange order of channels, doesn't display EPG for X Seconds on channel chage, beside it also being unbearably slow. The PIP always default to PIPping the Analogue tuner (WTF?! - why bother with any analogue tuner functions on this unit).

100%, get the firmware fixed for piece of mind, then just get yourself a new HD STB to replace the useless tuner.

"The tuner on the 508 is a POS."...i made it faster by using 3 methods. Use favourites , press button 18 & button 4 to switch channels. Its slow because its waiting for 3 number LCNs. Just doing numbers say 2 then button 18 is quicker.Split screen is easy & enables switching. A pvr is the best anyway as you can replay, catch up etc etc.Only use the 508 if recording 2 shows at once.

Edited by sydney2218
Yeah, pressing "010" or "001, etc will do an instant change rather than pressing "10" and waiting.

It's not instant at all. You've still got the 3-4 second 'black' screen delay after it's accepted the channel input. In addition to the other lack of usual standard tuner features I mentioned.

I find it a waste of buying a top box given that there are HD built in tuner already in the 508xda.

So, I am thinking of getting a PVR, just need to shop around for decent price pvr.

The PIP always default to PIPping the Analogue tuner (WTF?! - why bother with any analogue tuner functions on this unit).

This is not true,you can change it to show the digital tuner (as default) plus any 1 of the av inputs.I sugest you read the manual.

Also you have to remember that if you use a STB you probably have a receiver you plug into.

I have a toppy 7000 but 80% of the time i just want to watch TV so i don't bother turning on the PVR and the receiver. No point. Just turn the TV on and watch. You get used to the time lag anyway it's only a few seconds extra. I always change channels using 3 digit input

This is not true,you can change it to show the digital tuner (as default) plus any 1 of the av inputs.I sugest you read the manual.

I'll have to polish the old eyeballs and have another quizz for this then, my apologies.

*** Polished and read manual. Cannot find anywhere where you can change the DEFAULT initial VIEW of the PIP. I'll bare my arse in Bourke street if it exists.

Edited by tuckerm

Anyone knows the latest s/w or firmware number after the tuner fix??

I just got mine yesterday and the tech said because mine was just shipped from Japan (manufactured May 2008), I might have the latest version already.

Not sure if he is BS so I look forward to your reply.

Btw, the tech did not have the firmware update with him.