Pioneer 508xda And Sbs Hd

I'll have to polish the old eyeballs and have another quizz for this then, my apologies.

*** Polished and read manual. Cannot find anywhere where you can change the DEFAULT initial VIEW of the PIP. I'll bare my arse in Bourke street if it exists.

Ok tuckerm,grab your remote and push the pip button(bottom row on left) it brings up a split screen,the one on the left is the one that you can change if its the analogue pic press the tv/dtv button on the remote and it will change to the dig pic,if you want to change the pic on the right side then push the pip swap button(middle of bottom row) it will move the right pic to the left and then you can change that to any of the av inputs you have connected or the analogue tuner.Remember what ever pic is on the left will be the main pic use the swap button to change main pic to the small one.

I expect to see you on the news tonight bare arse dancing down burke st with a "thanks wheelz' sign :)

Edited by wheelz

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheelz,

not wanting to put words into his mouth, but I think tuckerm's point was that you cannot set the default PIP source (when you FIRST press the button) to be something other than the analog tuner (a second digital channel or AV input for instance) which appears to be the case, not that you can't choose another source once you have bought up the PIP window as I believe is what you are saying.

I think the confusion is in what you both believe the term "default" to mean.

The default PIP source (initial view) is the Analog tuner and this cannot be changed

TB

Edited by tb123

TB your probably right,im not sure how tuckerm has his system set up but the way mine is i watch everything switched thru my amp on input 1 (connected to amp dvd,stb.fox) input 2 is camera and input3 is HDdvd and if i hit pip i get the digital pic as the pip not analog from the pio tuner first press.

Tuckerm we maybe crossing our wires how is your system set up

Edited by wheelz

Wheelz,

Input 1 = DVD recorder

Input 4 = Blu Ray Player

I dont use my receiver to switch any video, it only receives digital audio from the BD player and TV. I do that so I can just watch TV, or basic discs when I want without having to switch everything else on.

If I'm watching digital TV, the first press of the PIP button brings up the analog tuner, then I can change the input (but not to TWO didgital channels).

Off the top of my head, I dont believe the TV will let you have both sides of the PIP screen showing the same input, digital channels 070 and 090 for example. Presumably you would need dual HD digital tuners in the 508 for that.

The hierachy appears to be if you are watching the TV via one of the external inputs, then the PIP display will select the digital tuner. If you are watching Digital TV, then the PIP will be the analog tuner etc

TB

Edited by tb123

Anyone knows the latest s/w or firmware number after the tuner fix??

I just got mine yesterday and the tech said because mine was just shipped from Japan (manufactured May 2008), I might have the latest version already.

Not sure if he is BS so I look forward to your reply.

Btw, the tech did not have the firmware update with him.

i will check it and let you know

Just a bit of an update on this. I finaly got around to logging my issues with Pioneer and I was told the following:

SBS Resynch issue:

I will get a call when the service people are in my area. Apparently they are rolling it out it state by state. They should give me 48 hours notice before lodging the service call to the technicians.

ABC Sound Fluctuation:

Pioneer are aware of the issue and are working with the ABC for a solution, but they don't have one yet.

Positioning of Subtitles (too high)

Pioneer said that this has been fixed in the newer models, but unfortunately in the older models it is locked into the firmware and can't be changed. I am still not sure why they can't re-write the firmware, but that is what I was told.

Just a bit of an update on this. I finaly got around to logging my issues with Pioneer and I was told the following:

SBS Resynch issue:

I will get a call when the service people are in my area. Apparently they are rolling it out it state by state. They should give me 48 hours notice before lodging the service call to the technicians.

ABC Sound Fluctuation:

Pioneer are aware of the issue and are working with the ABC for a solution, but they don't have one yet.

Positioning of Subtitles (too high)

Pioneer said that this has been fixed in the newer models, but unfortunately in the older models it is locked into the firmware and can't be changed. I am still not sure why they can't re-write the firmware, but that is what I was told.

I was told a similar thing re the subtitles but not a concern for me as i never use that feature. A little stupid why they positioned it that way though

Hey Guys,

I have the same problem, just wondering do you have to log this issue with Pioneer to get it fixed or have they identified it and are fixing it state by state as posted above?

Hey Guys,

I have the same problem, just wondering do you have to log this issue with Pioneer to get it fixed or have they identified it and are fixing it state by state as posted above?

You definitely have to log it with Pioneer. They are rolling it out in regions, but only to those that have complained. I asked the installer last night if he had many to do. He said no, just a few in areas with weak signals, so I suspect only those with major problems are logging it.

Hi guys,

Excuse my ignorance but I briefly skimmed through pages on this topic but failed to see if anyone has my additional problem.

For the majority of the time (it seems) I have no signal for SBS whatsoever on any of their designated digital channels (3, 30, 31). I've only had my LX508 since Saturday. Sometimes I have a picture other times not. Resort to watching SBS through Foxtel at present.

Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers.

Hi guys,

Excuse my ignorance but I briefly skimmed through pages on this topic but failed to see if anyone has my additional problem.

For the majority of the time (it seems) I have no signal for SBS whatsoever on any of their designated digital channels (3, 30, 31). I've only had my LX508 since Saturday. Sometimes I have a picture other times not. Resort to watching SBS through Foxtel at present.

Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers.

Sorry Mr C I havent heard of that one, are you sure its not Antenna related?

I receive sbs through my dvd recorder no problem. Must be panel issue. Most annoying. Pioneer will receive my call tomorrow.

Cheers guys.

I have buzzing/humming issues too (LX508). Clearly audible from other side of room.

Can anyone direct me to discussions on this matter?

Cheers.

Guest voodoo23

Hi all

Sorry to hijack the thread with a (slight) change of topic, but I'm in dire need of some of your collective wisdom.

I just bought the Panasonic TH 42pz800a - very, very happy with the picture, but am having a sound problem I was hoping someone could help out with.

When watching it with the Fox input, every couple of minutes there is a "jump" or "break" in the sound for a split second - the picture is unaffected.

When I watched it with a free-to-air cable it didnt do this, and it doesnt do it when watching DVD's. I have those flash new monster cables, and a power surge multi-socket, so I thought either of those might be the problem - but I changed both for the older versions and it still did it.

Do you think this is a problem with my foxtel box and/or reception, or could it be something wrong with the imput sockets on my new TV? I have just moved into this house, so have no previous TV experience to compare to.

Has anyone experienced something similiar, or does anyone have any suggestions for locating and fixing the problem???

All answers appreciated!

Cheers

J

Guest voodoo23

Hi all

Sorry to hijack the thread with a (slight) change of topic, but I'm in dire need of some of your collective wisdom.

I just bought the Panasonic TH 42pz800a - very, very happy with the picture, but am having a sound problem I was hoping someone could help out with.

When watching it with the Fox input, every couple of minutes there is a "jump" or "break" in the sound for a split second - the picture is unaffected.

When I watched it with a free-to-air cable it didnt do this, and it doesnt do it when watching DVD's. I have those flash new monster cables, and a power surge multi-socket, so I thought either of those might be the problem - but I changed both for the older versions and it still did it.

Do you think this is a problem with my foxtel box and/or reception, or could it be something wrong with the imput sockets on my new TV? I have just moved into this house, so have no previous TV experience to compare to.

Has anyone experienced something similiar, or does anyone have any suggestions for locating and fixing the problem???

All answers appreciated!

Cheers

J

Guest voodoo23

Hi all

All answers appreciated!

Cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone is expiriencing the volume fluctuation issue on channels other than ABC?

I don't really watch ABC so I hadn't noticed the issue there, however I have noticed channel 10 has the issue, 7 and 9 have it too but not as much as 10.

Cheers

Sam

Edited by shankman