Pioneer 508xda And Sbs Hd

Hi Stone...

Are you referering to the LX508 Firmware ...cause I too have this SBS synching issues....

Cheers

K

This happens in Sydney as SBS from 3 or 4 directions is coming in on UHF 34 .SO there are conflicts in reception as there are time differences between the signals .Even though you have a great antenna etc you have to have your UHF elements on the antenna directly pointing at a source such as Artarmon or Kings Cross.Also all the Networks are transmitting on uhf & vhf , 7 on 6 & 48. Therefore you must ensure your tuner is locking onto the best frequency & transmitter site.Some boxes choose by default ,say the uhf frequency & that may not be the best one in all areas.I have with my boxes deleted the weak frequencies or ensured a favourite list has the best .Otherwise with weather changes , power fluctuations etc the signal strength can go above or below the "digital cliff " phenomenon that is part of the reception "problems" with digital. Every STB i have had or seen has different sensitivities in the tuners.Some need attentuaters , especially in unit blocks where the signals are coming thru very old analogue distribution amps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest techman100

The fix is here a pioneer technician is booked in to apply the firmware fix for the LX508a this Wednesday.

On my LX508, it was a test firmware. The official firmware is now available :)

Stone

Will this be the same firmware fix to rectify the SBS and 7HD re-sync issues for the 508XDAs as well.

koaz

Edited by KOAZ

There is different firmware for the different models, but it fixes the same issue on all models. Putting XDA firmware on an LX, or vice versa, will kill the main control board in the panel.

Stone

Ok, cool makes logical sense, will just have to be a little bit more patient.

At least they have worked out a fix, which is the most important thing.

koaz

Edited by KOAZ

will this firmware also improve the channel changing times?

if not, is there any possibility it will be improved in the future?

I can't definitely say no, but I doubt it... They were just trying to fix the re-sync issue, nothing else. Mine doesn't change any quicker.

Edited by Stone

Just got a call from the Pioneer Technician and he is booked in to apply the firmware fix for my 508XDA this Thursday.

He told me they have firmware fixes for both the LX and XDA models with them and they are calling all Pio customers and trying to get the firmware fix out as quickly as possible. I asked if this is for the SBS and Ch7/70 re-sync issues and he said this is for the SBS re-sync issue only, he did not know anything about the Ch7/70 re-sync issue.

Edited by KOAZ

Just got a call from the Pioneer Technician and he is booked in to apply the firmware fix for my 508XDA this Thursday.

He told me they have firmware fixes for both the LX and XDA models with them and they are calling all Pio customers and trying to get the firmware fix out as quickly as possible. I asked if this is for the SBS and Ch7/70 re-sync issues and he said this is for the SBS re-sync issue only, he did not know anything about the Ch7/70 re-sync issue.

Let us know whether SBS resync problem is finally fixed.

Regards

Cabernet

Just called Pioneer about SBS & 7 HD problem & the guy said that they are still working on the issue.

& added me to the waiting list...

I'm in Melbourne.

that's what the Pioneer Tech first told me, then he put me through to Service and they said i would get a call with 48 hours to organise a time. In Melb too.

I dont think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing

Edited by spalmills

So how are they getting all customer's details to call them?

Maybe I should call them direct to arrange a time

So far these are the issues right?

1. ABC volume drops/spikes

2. SBS / 7HD sync

3. Slow channel changing

Everyone should get on to them about fixing all of these.

I'm going to email them and also ring them now.

edit - just got off phone and here's what i got told:

got my details and got put in a waiting database for firmware upgrade, didn't have a time or when it's available.

Things being looked at: ABC sound, SBS sync

Nothing will improve the channel changing speed.

Edited by thudabot

I think they took everyone's details at the time of purchase so installation could be organised, they should be able to contact everyone who had their panel installed.

This firmware fixes number 2 above.

Number 1 is due to the TV station and it's audio broadcasts conflicting so other brands/products are also suffering similar problems. I'm not sure of brands/models off the top of my head though. There will be no fix for that unless the TV station conforms to broadcast standards.

Number 3 isn't an issue.

[edit] You need to talk to the service department as the call centre isn't up to date with what is actually going on.

Edited by Stone

I think they took everyone's details at the time of purchase so installation could be organised, they should be able to contact everyone who had their panel installed.

This firmware fixes number 2 above.

Number 1 is due to the TV station and it's audio broadcasts conflicting so other brands/products are also suffering similar problems. I'm not sure of brands/models off the top of my head though. There will be no fix for that unless the TV station conforms to broadcast standards.

Number 3 isn't an issue.

[edit] You need to talk to the service department as the call centre isn't up to date with what is actually going on.

Even if the ABC volume level dropping and spiking is due to the station (and I only get it on the ABC SD channel, not HD), most set top boxes and TVs don't suffer from the change in volume level - I can watch SD through my old STB with no problem - so there must be a way to fix this that almost every other manufacturer is using. It is unacceptable to have the volume fluctuate in such a way, especially on a premium TV.

My 2c

Cheers

Zed

Guest techman100

I had the firmware update installed yesterday it is not a full update just a patch upgrade on my LX508A in took about 5 minutes to apply and it has fixed all the issues including the minor clitch i had with channel 7, SBS work first time without that double sync problem when you first selected SBS i watched SBS for most of last night without any issues this would the first time since purchasing the panel 3 months ago that i have been able to do that.

Changing channels is still slow but that is only a minor issue considering the picture quality is so good.

Hope this is the end of this issue for all people concerned.

I got the software upgrade yesterday and that fixes the SBS sync problem. Seems there are about another 15 Sydneysiders who put in a trouble report.

They will go and upgrade those first. It's a pity Pioneer didn't fix the Subtitles positioning as well. It would save them the trouble of turning up again.

Looks like not many complain of the subtitle positioning problem.

It would be great if we can get more trouble report of this problem.

The software upgrade is through RS232 connection. The guy said it's due to a Flag problem. SBS should not be using this flag and that Pioneer tuner should have ignore the flag.

Cabernet

Even if the ABC volume level dropping and spiking is due to the station (and I only get it on the ABC SD channel, not HD), most set top boxes and TVs don't suffer from the change in volume level - I can watch SD through my old STB with no problem - so there must be a way to fix this that almost every other manufacturer is using. It is unacceptable to have the volume fluctuate in such a way, especially on a premium TV.

My 2c

Cheers

Zed

I too have the same problems with the 508. SBS resynchs very frequently....had to switch to analogue last night and the ABC SD sound fluctuautions are a big distraction. Have sent Pioneer an email (did ring their service centre but was put on hold....very busy :)). Hopefully this will be resolved soon. Edited by leo1aus

I too have the same problems with the 508. SBS resynchs very frequently....had to switch to analogue last night and the ABC SD sound fluctuautions are a big distraction. Have sent Pioneer an email (did ring their service centre but was put on hold....very busy :)). Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Are these issues recent or been around for some time & are new screens affected ? Seems a bit slack for Pioneer to let these issues get through!! .Are all owners to be contacted & new firmware installed ?