Pioneer 508xda And Sbs Hd

Guest techman100
I've tried searching this forum but I've not found anything on it (could be due to my urh... less than adequate skills in searching)... hence my question... apologies if it has been posted before, though

I notice that each time I use the inbuilt HD tuner in my Pioneer to watch FTA channels, I've got no issues. until I switch the channel to SBS HD (Channel 30 and/or 31). the channel will change with the information being displayed on the upper right hand corner telling you that you have changed the channel to D030/D031, and that it's SBS HD.

however, a few seconds later, the screen changes and it looks like as if I have changed the channel to SBS HD again. and it keeps happening sporadically. I initially thought it was the remote control, so I did unplug the batteries to the remote control, but it is still happening.

this only happens to SBS HD, and not with my other HD channels (or so I've noticed so far). it happens if I key in the channels via the keypad, or via the channel list that you call up by pressing Enter on the remote.

anybody experienced such a problem before?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest techman100

This is a problem with the pioneer tuner this has been confirmed by pioneer and are working on a fix this also includes the new LX range which i have the same problem i will be giving pioneer two months to fix the problem or i will be asking for a full refund.

Other than this small issue the tv is a fantastic product and i hope Pioneer fix it up.

This is a problem with the pioneer tuner this has been confirmed by pioneer and are working on a fix this also includes the new LX range which i have the same problem i will be giving pioneer two months to fix the problem or i will be asking for a full refund.

Other than this small issue the tv is a fantastic product and i hope Pioneer fix it up.

Some members who have reported this issue to Pioneer have had the response from technicians that it is issues with those particular stations SBS & 7 which we all know is a load of rubbish. I has also been previously stated that Pioneer are working on it but are still clinging to the channel issue rather than the tuner.

Hi Ali,

thats exactly what mine does. i only noticed on sbs at first but 7 does it too now and again

So Ali and Spalmills are you saying that your sets only re-synch the once and then not again while you are watching SBS? I must be one of the most unfortunate of dudes as both mine (428's) as I have already told you keep re-synching continually once they begin to do it. Still haven't got my 508 I think I will have go to the 508 Waiting Room thread and whinge a bit. Bought mine from DJ's on the 6th April. Talked my cousin into buying one - she bought hers last week at CP's Dandenong and it was installed on Monday!!!! Not Happy Jan.

So Ali and Spalmills are you saying that your sets only re-synch the once and then not again while you are watching SBS? I must be one of the most unfortunate of dudes as both mine (428's) as I have already told you keep re-synching continually once they begin to do it. Still haven't got my 508 I think I will have go to the 508 Waiting Room thread and whinge a bit. Bought mine from DJ's on the 6th April. Talked my cousin into buying one - she bought hers last week at CP's Dandenong and it was installed on Monday!!!! Not Happy Jan.

hi bantam,

yes i only get one resync that i have seen , when i initially change channel to sbs or 7

The actual re-sync problem is SBS continually re-syncing. You can be watching SBS and at any stage the screen will go black and the panel info in the top right hand corner appears as if you've changed channel.

All my channels occasionally re-sync once when I first change over to them but SBS is the only channel that does it continuously while I try to watch something. Even with SBS it is random though... Sometimes it's fine other times it's un-watchable.

Edited by Stone

The actual re-sync problem is SBS continually re-syncing. You can be watching SBS and at any stage the screen will go black and the panel info in the top right hand corner appears as if you've changed channel.

All my channels occasionally re-sync once when I first change over to them but SBS is the only channel that does it continuously while I try to watch something. Even with SBS it is random though... Sometimes it's fine other times it's un-watchable.

bloody tuner !! I havent watched SBS for more than 30 mins in one sitting and it didnt do it for me except the initial one. Maybe when there is something decent on i will watch for longer and see what happens. Is there anything good on it that goes for more than 30 mins?

Edited by spalmills

bloody tuner !! I havent watched SBS for more than 30 mins in one sitting and it didnt do it for me except the initial one. Maybe when there is something decent on i will watch for longer and see what happens. Is there anything good on it that goes for more than 30 mins?

It's not all that good but watch their news at 6.30pm. If you can get thru' that hour without it resynching you don't have a problem. With mine it happens at any time but I can almost guarantee that it will happen during the news.

It's not all that good but watch their news at 6.30pm. If you can get thru' that hour without it resynching you don't have a problem. With mine it happens at any time but I can almost guarantee that it will happen during the news.

i think thats why the techs from Pioneer think it is an sbs issue at news time - as some are saying this is the worst time - i will try and remember to watch at that time tomorrow

Ok, after more sbs watching last night the issue does exist after the intital channel change.

i was watching Food Safari and it re synced 2 times(that i noticed) during that show.

Bantam,

Mine does repeatedly as well. Lucky those that don't resync repeatedly.

Regards

Cabernet

Bantam,

Mine does repeatedly as well. Lucky those that don't resync repeatedly.

Regards

Cabernet

Hi Cab,

Did you say yours does it repeatedly on 7 as well or only SBS?

It makes me think that if a few have got the issue with repeatedly resyncing then we all should have it. As mentioned i havent watched SBS for long enough to experience it other than at the initial channel change.

reported mine to Pioneer 2 days ago and they walked me through a EEPROM reset (I think that's what it was), and then retuned the digital channels.

Seemed to help, but the problem was back later that evening anyway.

Rang them again today and they've logged the problem and admitted their 'japanese' engineers are working on the issue.

Satz

reported mine to Pioneer 2 days ago and they walked me through a EEPROM reset (I think that's what it was), and then retuned the digital channels.

Seemed to help, but the problem was back later that evening anyway.

Rang them again today and they've logged the problem and admitted their 'japanese' engineers are working on the issue.

Satz

They cant be working on it too much as they have known about it for a while now

Hi Cab,

Did you say yours does it repeatedly on 7 as well or only SBS?

It makes me think that if a few have got the issue with repeatedly resyncing then we all should have it. As mentioned i havent watched SBS for long enough to experience it other than at the initial channel change.

Didn't notice it on 7. SBS is so severe that it's irritating. The initial resync when changing to SBS is OK with me. It's the repeated resync that gets me.

Koaz, My Strong 5300 SD STB did it as well.

Does anyone knows what make the 508XDA internal tuner is? Is it Pioneer's or somebody else's?

Regards

Cabernet

Didn't notice it on 7. SBS is so severe that it's irritating. The initial resync when changing to SBS is OK with me. It's the repeated resync that gets me.

Koaz, My Strong 5300 SD STB did it as well.

Does anyone knows what make the 508XDA internal tuner is? Is it Pioneer's or somebody else's?

Regards

Cabernet

Are you saying that you hooked up a Set top box and it resynced also?

By the way, how soon after the initial resync does it start happening for you?

Edited by spalmills

Are you saying that you hooked up a Set top box and it resynced also?

By the way, how soon after the initial resync does it start happening for you?

Before I have the 508XDA I was using Strong 5300 and 68cm CRT and I already experience this resync problem.

I thought it is probably due to weak SBS signals or the Strong STB insensitivity/sensitivity problem. The resyncing is worst in inclement weathers.

NOTE: I don't think there is a timing pattern in the resync.

Regards

Cabernet

Edited by cabernet

Before I have the 508XDA I was using Strong 5300 and 68cm CRT and I already experience this resync problem.

I thought it is probably due to weak SBS signals or the Strong STB insensitivity/sensitivity problem. The resyncing is worst in inclement weathers.

NOTE: I don't think there is a timing pattern in the resync.

Regards

Cabernet

I was told that some brands of Set Top boxes made in Korea were not reliable with some frequencies and caused drop outs etc.

I am going to hook up my HD SET top box and see what happens.

Will get back to you

could it be anything to do with 'sharing' the antenna signal between a PVR and the Pio TV?

might try it with the antenna just connected to the TV and see what difference it makes...

I am sure that it is related signal quality or strength, so a direct connection might make a difference. I usually only get the synch problem on channel change, but I have had occasional blips on SBS and 7 on stormy nights. Having said that, even at the worst times my signal strength is good and I run my PC tuner off the same roof aerial with zero problems. I think the pio tuner is super sensitive for those channels.

I am sure that it is related signal quality or strength, so a direct connection might make a difference. I usually only get the synch problem on channel change, but I have had occasional blips on SBS and 7 on stormy nights. Having said that, even at the worst times my signal strength is good and I run my PC tuner off the same roof aerial with zero problems. I think the pio tuner is super sensitive for those channels.

i have a direct connection, but am hooking up the STB to see if any difference

Just hooked up my HD set top box and guess what - not a resync in sight !!

The only problem with the box is that the audio to the TV is shite - it is about 60-70% of what the volume should be. I have played with the audio settings which is either MPEG or Dolby but wont bringthe level up to the same as playing though internal tuner. The box is a Thomson - any idea on that one guys?

Edited by spalmills

the problem seems to be getting worse on mine...despite not 'sharing' the antenna.

Sometimes, say when switching from INput back to channel 7 HDTV, the Pio just enters this 'black screen' for ages. I have to try other channels and then come back to 7HD

The retuning still happens on both SBS stations as well

no word from Pioneer on a solution. wonder if they'll care now that the set is no longer made?