Pioneer 508xda And Sbs Hd

I've tried searching this forum but I've not found anything on it (could be due to my urh... less than adequate skills in searching)... hence my question... apologies if it has been posted before, though

I notice that each time I use the inbuilt HD tuner in my Pioneer to watch FTA channels, I've got no issues. until I switch the channel to SBS HD (Channel 30 and/or 31). the channel will change with the information being displayed on the upper right hand corner telling you that you have changed the channel to D030/D031, and that it's SBS HD.

however, a few seconds later, the screen changes and it looks like as if I have changed the channel to SBS HD again. and it keeps happening sporadically. I initially thought it was the remote control, so I did unplug the batteries to the remote control, but it is still happening.

this only happens to SBS HD, and not with my other HD channels (or so I've noticed so far). it happens if I key in the channels via the keypad, or via the channel list that you call up by pressing Enter on the remote.

anybody experienced such a problem before?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switch the channel to SBS HD (Channel 30 and/or 31). the channel will change with the information being displayed on the upper right hand corner telling you that you have changed the channel to D030/D031, and that it's SBS HD. However, a few seconds later, the screen changes and it looks like as if I have changed the channel to SBS HD again. and it keeps happening sporadically.

Does the channel number appear onscreen again each time this happens?

I've tried searching this forum but I've not found anything on it (could be due to my urh... less than adequate skills in searching)... hence my question... apologies if it has been posted before, though

I notice that each time I use the inbuilt HD tuner in my Pioneer to watch FTA channels, I've got no issues. until I switch the channel to SBS HD (Channel 30 and/or 31). the channel will change with the information being displayed on the upper right hand corner telling you that you have changed the channel to D030/D031, and that it's SBS HD.

however, a few seconds later, the screen changes and it looks like as if I have changed the channel to SBS HD again. and it keeps happening sporadically. I initially thought it was the remote control, so I did unplug the batteries to the remote control, but it is still happening.

this only happens to SBS HD, and not with my other HD channels (or so I've noticed so far). it happens if I key in the channels via the keypad, or via the channel list that you call up by pressing Enter on the remote.

anybody experienced such a problem before?

I have noticed that a couple of times too but i put it down to the digital tuner picking up the signal. It doesnt happen regularly and have noticed on HD7 too. But as it only does it when I change the channel and only every now and again i think it must be a signal issue. BUt could be a remote issue too i guess.

Nevertheless i dont have a concern about it

yah I'm quite surprised. maybe people were mesmerised with the beauty of the image and weren't too fussed about it. :D

but I got really irritated with the drop in the channel, and sometimes the sound goes off for a couple of seconds. watching Russian Dolls on SBS HD over the weekend was certainly not as enjoyable as I thought it would be.

so is it a signal strength issue? I'm about to call up Pioneer to find out what's happening, but before I do that I'd just like to find out if anyone else suffers from it as well.

yah I'm quite surprised. maybe people were mesmerised with the beauty of the image and weren't too fussed about it. :D

but I got really irritated with the drop in the channel, and sometimes the sound goes off for a couple of seconds. watching Russian Dolls on SBS HD over the weekend was certainly not as enjoyable as I thought it would be.

so is it a signal strength issue? I'm about to call up Pioneer to find out what's happening, but before I do that I'd just like to find out if anyone else suffers from it as well.

I actually had my antenna checked and cable replaced before i had the new tv installed as i had channel 2 dropping out on my previous tv which had a hd set top box hooked up.

After antenna cabling was changed signal strength was checked and no issues there. i havent seen the issue on the analogue channels although i havent sat and watched it for any length of time for obvious reasons so i cant be sure if it is just an issue with the remote or with the digital tuner

hmm the TV antenna guy who came down to my place to drag a cable for Foxtel said that I had very good signal strength. but that was before I got the 508XDA and before I had a HD set top box.

is there anyway to check the signal strength via the television itself?

not that i know of. doesnt mention in the manual.

If it was a problem with signal strength then you would be getting chirps and loss of signal. as its only when the channel is changed it couldnt be a signal problem could it?

I had my aerial checked a few hours before tv was installed and had no probs with signal.

Edited by spalmills

oh no the problem occurs when I change into SBS HD.

sequence of events are as such

1) I key in either 30 or select it via the Enter key on the remote

2) TV changes to SBS HD, with the display on the top right hand showing that I'm that particular channel

3) TV shows the SBS HD channel imagery/sound

4) occasionally TV screen goes black *like it would when you change channels*, and then the channel displays on the right hand side saying SBS HD again. it's like I just changed channels to SBS HD and/or been entering 030 on the keypad.

5) repeat point 4 sporadically, each time with the screen going blank momentarily, and the audio dropping out momentarily.

oh no the problem occurs when I change into SBS HD.

sequence of events are as such

1) I key in either 30 or select it via the Enter key on the remote

2) TV changes to SBS HD, with the display on the top right hand showing that I'm that particular channel

3) TV shows the SBS HD channel imagery/sound

4) occasionally TV screen goes black *like it would when you change channels*, and then the channel displays on the right hand side saying SBS HD again. it's like I just changed channels to SBS HD and/or been entering 030 on the keypad.

5) repeat point 4 sporadically, each time with the screen going blank momentarily, and the audio dropping out momentarily.

yes sounds like the same here, but only every now and again within about 2 or 3 seconds of the channel being changed and then once it happens it wont do it again whilst on that channel. is that the same with you? or are you saying that it will do this multiple times whilst watching that channel?

mine does it regardless of how recent you've changed to the channel, and so far it's only been happening to SBS.

at times it can drop out every 5 seconds over a 30 second period, and at times it can just drop out once in a couple of hours.

Oh ok, mine only does it occasionally on the initial channel change. sounds like it could be a signal issue.

Do you have an external HD set top box that you are using? If so disconnect it and just use the TV and see what happens.

Edited by spalmills

press the Info button on the remote and you should see a signal meter...the bands on the signal bar the better the signal

I think green is full signal

In my experience these signal meters on the TV/PVR/DVR are really only an indication and not accurate enough to be taken as gospel

mine does it regardless of how recent you've changed to the channel, and so far it's only been happening to SBS.

at times it can drop out every 5 seconds over a 30 second period, and at times it can just drop out once in a couple of hours.

Mine did as well. I don't think it's the 508XDA problem. I only got mine this Monday but I have experience this "blackout" experience with my Strong SD STB for the past few years. It got so irritating that Analogue TV is sometimes the answer.

Very frequent with SBS. I thought with HD this might fix it but it's not. Looks it's SBS broadcasting problem.

I read some articles/posts before (I can't remember where now) that in order to save on bandwidth (SBS do HD, SD and channel 32 or is it 33) some frames might be cut or not broadcasting the full stream.

Maybe SBS might be able to respond to this Blackout experience.

Regards

Cabernet