Paradigm Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Well today I took delivery of some new gear.

It arrived from Sydney - ordered from Eastwood Hifi on Wednesday and here, in CQ, one and a bit days later - I reckon that's pretty good.

Anyway I had done lots of research, was nearly a Focal convert, got some excellent advice from a fellow forum member, and then some more from the net, and finally from Steve at Eastwood.

Bang for buck I reckon I couldn't do much better: new mains are Titan Monitors, centre is cc190.

And here I am typing this listening to Mahlers Symphonie #5 on Teldec cd. A hugely dynamic recording!

Amp on straight - just the Titans fresh out of the box and the sub - I'm stunned, amazed and dead set ecstatic.

I'm hearing stuff I never heard before!!!

Don't know what words to use but the word that pops into my head is - Presence.

Have until now had medium quality Yamaha floor stander speakers - but these are in a different league.

Before the Mahler I briefly watched about 15 minutes of the Bourne Identity - this time using the Receivers 7 channels - again awesome - the mains excellent and the cc190 centre was clear as a bell - could again hear new detail - ship lightly creaking etc.

Anyways, if these speakers improve with breaking in - I'm going to be a very happy little camper! :D

It arrived from Sydney - ordered from Eastwood Hifi on Wednesday and here, in CQ, one and a bit days later - I reckon that's pretty good.

Anyway I had done lots of research, was nearly a Focal convert, got some excellent advice from a fellow forum member, and then some more from the net, and finally from Steve at Eastwood.

Bang for buck I reckon I couldn't do much better: new mains are Titan Monitors, centre is cc190.

And here I am typing this listening to Mahlers Symphonie #5 on Teldec cd. A hugely dynamic recording!

Amp on straight - just the Titans fresh out of the box and the sub - I'm stunned, amazed and dead set ecstatic.

Have until now had medium quality Yamaha floor stander speakers - but these are in a different league.

Before the Mahler I briefly watched about 15 minutes of the Bourne Identity - this time using the Receivers 7 channels - again awesome - the mains excellent and the cc190 centre was clear as a bell - could again hear new detail - ship lightly creaking etc.

Anyways, if these speakers improve with breaking in - I'm going to be a very happy little camper! :D

i am waiting my order of my speakers as well, i am getting the mini monitors they have such a big sound and they really suit the style of music i listen to which is rock/metal. it is good to hear that u are liking ur new purches al

i am waiting my order of my speakers as well, i am getting the mini monitors they have such a big sound and they really suit the style of music i listen to which is rock/metal. it is good to hear that u are liking ur new purches al

Haven't tried the Rock stuff yet - I'm really partial to Clapton, Led Zep etc etc.

I looked at the mini monitors they were great too - but I have a fairly large room and I thought the Titans might do better.

These things arrived 3 days earlier than anticipated so double bonus.

Hope you are as happy with your choice as I am with mine!

I have been considering the Paradigm's myself. Unfortunately, there is just no place in my area that sells them.

When you say you have a fairly large, what are you talking about? I was thinking about the Monitor 7's for a room size of about 3.8m x 3.8m. What I was thinking was, if I have to buy a stand to suit the Titans anyway, that's another $200 odd towards it that the Monitor 7's are then only another $200 again more.

I was thinking of the Atoms as my rears, eventually, and the CC190 as the centre and then possibly the PDR10 as the sub. I guess there's nothing wrong with keeing ping everything the same brand. I am just thinking that I will not need to get a sub any bigger than this. As much as having a Velodne or some thing like that, I would just be buying the brand instead of performance.

I don't know, it is just so hard when I haven't heard them. I amourely going by recommendations.

Haven't tried the Rock stuff yet - I'm really partial to Clapton, Led Zep etc etc.

I looked at the mini monitors they were great too - but I have a fairly large room and I thought the Titans might do better.

These things arrived 3 days earlier than anticipated so double bonus.

Hope you are as happy with your choice as I am with mine!

ahh i am in a small room, the music i like is muse, metallica, red hot chili peppers, foo fighters, the living end etc. i just have to wait until my next pay and hopefully they will be in by then. i spend a couple days going around to different hifi stores and seeing what they had, but i fell in love with paradigm speakers. i gald u are happy with ur choice

Congratulations Aloy, great to hear that the upgrade has been such a profound success :)

Have you got Eric Clapton "Live in Hyde Park" dvd heard that on the monitor 11's and cc390, very nice indeed.

Good idea with the Paradigm owners thread too.

Great to hear Aloy (pun intended I guess). I have a pair of Paradigm Focus and a cc170 centre. The Focus are downmarket from your Titan Monitors (and Paradigm seem to have disowned them - they have disappeared off the Paradigm web site). But I'm immensely happy with them. In the back of my mind I have an ideal that I might soon upgrade to the Titan's and use the Focus as the surround speakers....

Anyway, enjoy your investment!

I have been considering the Paradigm's myself. Unfortunately, there is just no place in my area that sells them.

When you say you have a fairly large, what are you talking about? I was thinking about the Monitor 7's for a room size of about 3.8m x 3.8m. What I was thinking was, if I have to buy a stand to suit the Titans anyway, that's another $200 odd towards it that the Monitor 7's are then only another $200 again more.

I was thinking of the Atoms as my rears, eventually, and the CC190 as the centre and then possibly the PDR10 as the sub. I guess there's nothing wrong with keeing ping everything the same brand. I am just thinking that I will not need to get a sub any bigger than this. As much as having a Velodne or some thing like that, I would just be buying the brand instead of performance.

I don't know, it is just so hard when I haven't heard them. I amourely going by recommendations.

Room is 8m x6m

Titan has quite a large woofer, is quite efficient and very capable, at the levels I listen at, of filling the room - -15 say.

Side by side with the old mains they are as deep, and wide, just shorter.

Like you I only went on recommendations - that's why I'm throwing in my 10c worth - it's a bit of a step of faith to by unheard - but can all the folks that praise focals, krixes, etc all be wrong?

If these things were poor quality they would be out of business by now.

Anyway, good luck, be happy with your choice!

Congratulations Aloy, great to hear that the upgrade has been such a profound success :)

Have you got Eric Clapton "Live in Hyde Park" dvd heard that on the monitor 11's and cc390, very nice indeed.

Good idea with the Paradigm owners thread too.

Thanx Cooksta - for your help in all this.

I'm off for a round of golf so the new babies are gently running in playing the PC collection of songs.

Have a good day :D

Great to hear Aloy (pun intended I guess). I have a pair of Paradigm Focus and a cc170 centre. The Focus are downmarket from your Titan Monitors (and Paradigm seem to have disowned them - they have disappeared off the Paradigm web site). But I'm immensely happy with them. In the back of my mind I have an ideal that I might soon upgrade to the Titan's and use the Focus as the surround speakers....

Anyway, enjoy your investment!

Thanks Swordfish!

For the sound you get with these - and I'm no huge audiophile - it's very good value for money - I reckon they are going to last me a really long time.

My son - who lives 500k away bought phase 2 Titans a few years back. I have always been impressed by them These phase 5's, just out of the box , are probably 10-20% better.

Hi all, great to see a little paradigm corner of the forum!

Have had my new speakers for 2 weeks now and am so in love!! :rolleyes: (monitor 11s, cc-390, monitor atoms)

Congrats on the purchase Aloysius - did you get a paradigm sub too? I dont have a sub yet, gotta do some more saving, but the bass from these speakers still stuns me!! :D

Hi all, great to see a little paradigm corner of the forum!

Have had my new speakers for 2 weeks now and am so in love!! :rolleyes: (monitor 11s, cc-390, monitor atoms)

Congrats on the purchase Aloysius - did you get a paradigm sub too? I dont have a sub yet, gotta do some more saving, but the bass from these speakers still stuns me!! :D

Nope the existing Sub is a 12 Klipsch that does fine - these "bookshelf Titans are more like short mains!!! They do really well in the base department too. :wub:

Great thread Aloy. That wretched Focal one had me salivating at an upgrade I just cannot afford. Hopefully someone will post in here about their Signature S8's and I can have an equally unrealistic Paradigm dream!!! :wub::wub::wub:
Have want, don't want! (Wrong expression I think anyway ...)

Most of us drool over your Studio 100's!! :rolleyes:

just a quick question to throw out to everyone. From a HT perspective, would you rather go for the Studio 20/40 or the monitor 9/11. I Notice the 20s and the 9s are closely prices, as are the 40s and 11s.

For some reason i like the idea of larger stand mounts over towers, but cant give you an explanation why.

I think that would come down to the size of the room. The increase in sound quality from the monitor to studio's is clear...literally but as you mentioned that it would be from a HT perspective, if it was a larger room I needed to fill then the floor standing monitor's are probably the way to go. Given a smaller room then the Studio's all the way :) I do believe there is a greater bass output in the floor standing offerings over the stand mounts you've mentioned in this case.

Thought id share an image from an old happy paradigm owner, i have a B&W set up now but the paradigms still rock out in the back room.

Paradigm make great speakers and are hard to beat for bang for ya buck.

Manny.

scan0002fc7.th.jpg

Edited by mannynegg

just a quick question to throw out to everyone. From a HT perspective, would you rather go for the Studio 20/40 or the monitor 9/11. I Notice the 20s and the 9s are closely prices, as are the 40s and 11s.

For some reason i like the idea of larger stand mounts over towers, but cant give you an explanation why.

Can't answer that directly and the answer would be full of questions :D

ie how big a room, sub, Amp etc etc.

I can throw this in from the advice I got:

Studio 20's are more suited to smaller rooms, are more accurate than monitor series.

On the other hand the Monitor series are more efficient and I guess for HT that is a big consideration - filling a room with atmosphere via sound.

Again - waf helped me toward the speaker on a stand concept, but it makes sense if it's the sound that matters most and that your sub can make up any loss incurred by leaving the towers out.

Appearance wise I think the stand looks lighter, less dominating and less of a power statement than those quite significantly physically large towers.

All that said - it's a matter of ones own preferences and that's as it should be. ;)

I have heard both the Monitor 9's and 11's and studio 40's.the studio's are a definate step up.The monitors are very impressive at their price point, I personally could live with them not a worry.however once I listened to the studio 100's with the cc590 centre....my budget went up :blush:

Most noticeable to me with the 100's was the incredible soundstage and imaging, I felt that I could have plucked each instrument out of midair.They were being driven by quality amplification though compared to the monitors which were driven by a marantz 4002 from memory.

If you prefer floorstanders maybe you could consider the studio 60's as opposed to the 40's with the added cost of stands?

The monitors, as Aloy comments; are very efficient and and easy load for an avr to drive; the studios give them quality amplification and they will reward you.Comes back to that old budget question :)

I recently pulled the trigger and have ordered the following for our new home. :)

Paradigm Signature 6 floorstanders

Paradigm Signature series ‘C3’ centre channel

Paradigm Signature series ‘S1’ as surrounds

Paradigm Supercube 12 subwoofer

to go with:-

Elektra Theatron 7 power amp

Marantz 7002 AVR

Marantz SA-11S1 SACD CDP

60" Pioneer Kuro

DVDO vp50 scaler

Oppo 970 Universal player

Digitalview 810 HDPVR 320gig

either Panasonics new BD player or the Pio model..not decided yet.

maybe one or two other little bits and pieces I have my eye on.

Looking forward to playing with this lot let me tell you!

Edited by Psycho!

One helluva set up there Psycho!!! All very drool worthy. I gather you haven't taken delivery yet or are waiting for your new home? Either way be sure to let us know how it's all coming along. Don't forget the pics!

I recently pulled the tigger and have ordered the following for our new home. :)

Marantz 7002 AVR

Marantz SA-11S1 SACD CDP

60" Pioneer Kuro

DVDO vp50 scaler

woof ! nice one psycho ! congrats.

yes do post some pics of the whole setup once you got your way through it all ! :)

One helluva set up there Psycho!!! All very drool worthy. I gather you haven't taken delivery yet or are waiting for your new home? Either way be sure to let us know how it's all coming along. Don't forget the pics!

yep will do, we get the keys to the new home this Friday!..but we are not moving in till the 28th as we are getting carpets and timber flooring , shutters etc.. being outfitted beforehand.

It looks like I have to wait till early May to get the S1 surrounds from Canada but thats no prob. I'll have lots to learn in the interim. I have everything else cept the speakers sitting in boxes in the study now (very frustrating) and will get the speakers delivered to the new house the day or so after we move in and Pioneer have installed the Kuro for me. Then there will be some fun to be had let me tell ya.

*the big thing at the mo is I havent got a cabinet for all the gear to sit in, I have vibrapods for the amps and CDP and such to sit on so they add a few cm to each components height requirements allowing for ventilation etc..so I might have to go custom made...I liked the post Al did a while back about that tubing you can get cut to size etc...this is one thing I have to get sorted in the next week or so.

Don't worry , there will be lots of pics.

I recently pulled the tigger and have ordered the following for our new home. :)

Marantz 7002 AVR

Marantz SA-11S1 SACD CDP

60" Pioneer Kuro

DVDO vp50 scaler

That's some serious Tigger pulling Psycho!!! :o

Very happy playing :D