Sign in to follow this  
e.z

Freeview Australia

It shouldn't, but it frustrates and annoys me that they choose to do it that way. So many things have been done like this, including AFL, Netball, City 2 Surf, Formula 1, now Moto GP and i'm sure i've missed quite a few things out.

Netball and F1 were actually on at different times on the two channels. I remember the F1 finishing on One and switching to Ten where they were just starting the race. But this might not have been the case for say the AUS GP. Both AUS GPs are on the anti-siphoning list so they have to be shown on Ten. Anyway, if its not in HD there really is no point of showing it on One at the same time.

Ten seems to be doing that more and more with their sports. They seem to have it on both ONE and Ten. Whats the point? Just put it on Ten (for everyone that doesn't have digital/hd access) and then something else on ONE, or just put it on ONE and normal programming on Ten.

It shouldn't, but it frustrates and annoys me that they choose to do it that way. So many things have been done like this, including AFL, Netball, City 2 Surf, Formula 1, now Moto GP and i'm sure i've missed quite a few things out.

Just 4 more years and we will get the long promised (true) multichanneling as all tv will be digital only. *sigh* :huh:

Now when i go to freeview.com.au on the home screen where the TV is promos for GO & 7 start, its good to see GO programing advised, when 7 does launch their new channel wonder how long it will take freeviews website to be updated.

Now when i go to freeview.com.au on the home screen where the TV is promos for GO & 7 start, its good to see GO programing advised, when 7 does launch their new channel wonder how long it will take freeviews website to be updated.

Does it matter that much?

Anyone can walk into HN and press CH+/- on a LCD and ask the sales assistant to put it on 72. That will sell more units than a website most people don't visit or know exists.

Netball and F1 were actually on at different times on the two channels. I remember the F1 finishing on One and switching to Ten where they were just starting the race. But this might not have been the case for say the AUS GP. Both AUS GPs are on the anti-siphoning list so they have to be shown on Ten. Anyway, if its not in HD there really is no point of showing it on One at the same time.

if the Govt loosen the dual broadcast rules (analog/main digital simultaneously as 23nd digital channel) then you're likely to see different sport on ONE and Ten at the same time or only on ONE as digital take up gets to 70-80% (now it's around 55%).

Motogp on the weekend has to be on Ten analog/SD at the same/earlier time than ONE while races during the year don't. The anti-siphoning is holding both FTA and Paytv back

Motogp on the weekend has to be on Ten analog/SD at the same/earlier time than ONE while races during the year don't. The anti-siphoning is holding both FTA and Paytv back

Yeah but that doesn't explain why it's on ONE though.

The only reason to put the sport on ONE, when it already is going to appear on Ten (because of anti-siphoning, or sheer popularity, whatever), is if the sport is in HD.

If the sport isn't HD, and it's already on Ten, then why put it on ONE? There's no point.

CK.

Yeah but that doesn't explain why it's on ONE though.

The only reason to put the sport on ONE, when it already is going to appear on Ten (because of anti-siphoning, or sheer popularity, whatever), is if the sport is in HD.

If the sport isn't HD, and it's already on Ten, then why put it on ONE? There's no point.

CK.

Alright stick to your guns but it's clear ONE is for sport only not just HD sport and that's why the Motogp was on it last weekend.

It's also called marketing but telling Ten viewers hey after the race watch the news on ten or watch the rider interviews on ONE.

It's also called marketing but telling Ten viewers hey after the race watch the news on ten or watch the rider interviews on ONE.

Thought it was very clever by one.

The anti-siphoning rules mean they just have to show the MotoGp race on Ten which they did.

Then they show extras on OneHD - 125 and 250s, post-race interviews, pre-race stuff.

Samething as for the AFL grand final.

There needs to be acceptance that the old model of everything being lumped into one channel is going (or gone) and that specific (niche in some cases) channels are the current trend. For sport, Ten don't want to split an audience with Motogp on Ten and non sport on ONE just because Motogp was in SD.

They are pushing ONE as a sports channel. When you think of ESPN or Fox Sports or Setanta you don't expect or get movies, comedies et al.

So while use the available HD space seems perfectly logical when only SD content is on ONE, it won't happen. Ten is a special case since it allocates content to specific channels while Nine and Seven, SBS and ABC mix and match.

Patience is required until all networks utilise MPEG-4 and can offer 2 or more channels in HD. I'd hope that in 2013 (or earlier) the government can announce that SD channels are to be made redundant by 2016 for example and everything must be HD (i.e MPEG-4) then no one misses out. Yeah it's ages away but that should be the goal by not accepting a flawed framework where HD is not the focus or mandated as the desired result. At present there is SD content on HD channels (e.g. 7HD) and HD content on SD channels (GO!). I say ban because I can't see FTA supporting more than 20 channels lets say (about 4 each on average). Even if they were to double that number then the bit rates could be changed to fit that in as long as spectrum was sufficent to start with or sold to new players.

Ban all SD set top boxes, push hard to digital take up by presenting these extra channels with some energy and get to work on an all HD future 6 to 7 years from now. At that time equipment will be widely available, be it STB, TV's, PVR's etc. and most of the old analog stuff will be at deaths door. Any non compliant digital equipment could be replaced quite cheaper too.

In 2009 you can walk into Kmart or Dick Smith and pay less than $600 for an LCD 32 inch albeit not top of the line, compared to 1999 when a 32 inch CRT from Sony or Panasonic would cost $3k. The HDTV if not used for FTA can be for paytv, iptv, bluray (or it's 2106 equivalent) etc. It's hardly going to waste.

The reception issue is a non issue for most viewers. What people don't see (and aren't shown well) is the extra channels which are slow to be added and which are the main reason you switch. HD is a bonus that can be made the norm. IPTV is the only thing we can't decide on since it's hardly in existence but it will offset paytv.

Edited by fredofrog

As far as accuracy goes, I'll believe it when I see it. The current (and standardised!) EIT data could be equally accurate but we all know that reality diverges at this point.

It might also be a bit premature to declare the Freeview EPG to be 'available' when it isn't being actually transmitted by all broadcasters. Pitty the fool that watches only 7 QLD or WIN! "No EPG for YOU"

Edited by DrP

Hmfph. No surprise no one with a Freeview machine can actually get the EPG. :rolleyes:

Freeview always buried the Phase 2 aspect of their product in the small print.

Be interesting if anyone tries to return their PVRs (although I doubt they'd succeed despite a large number of individuals no doubt honestly mislead by the promise of the EPG)

Be interesting to see if we get a flurry of new models of PVRs announced in the next short while too....

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hmfph. No surprise no one with a Freeview machine can actually get the EPG. :rolleyes:

Freeview always buried the Phase 2 aspect of their product in the small print.

Yeah, what a fantastic way to roll out a new technology...

IMO all shopping/infomercial channels should be banned. They are a waste of space and of bandwidth.

Yes, I know that they make money for the networks.

Also upscaled SD on the HD channels, and downscaled HD on the SD channels gives me the shits.

Sadly that's FTA TV in Australia Tim. You have only two options. Move to a country that's FTA has moved into the 21st century or download all you program's off the Internet as many of us already do.