Sign in to follow this  
chipmunk

Harmony 525 Query

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to get myself a Harmony 525 remote. Not bad overall, though the quality of the build is pretty bad. The whole remote seems to creak like old floorboards when it's pressed.

That asside, I had a quick question which I can't seem to find anywhere (on forums or Google).

I've tried assigning the colored teletext buttons to my xbox 360. Yellow = Y, green = A, etc. However when I try to use them, they don't work.

It works fine from the Device menu, but not the buttons on the remote.

I've even tried to manually learn them, however still no deal. All other working buttons make the screen light up when they get pressed. However pressing the teletext buttons does nothing. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

EDIT: Mucked around some more, and it seems the teletext buttons are only enabled when the TV device is selected! :(

Is there a way to enable them on all your devices?

Edited by chipmunk

Not sure what you mean when you say it works from the device menu but not the remote, but I'm guessing that you have only assigned these functions to the device and not in the activity.

You will need to edit the buttons for the activity in question because device buttons only get carried over automatically to the activity when it makes sense for that activity. Eg. pause and play from a DVD device in a watch DVD activity. The coloured buttons would not have been picked up in that fashion by the software.

VJP

Not sure what you mean when you say it works from the device menu but not the remote, but I'm guessing that you have only assigned these functions to the device and not in the activity.

You will need to edit the buttons for the activity in question because device buttons only get carried over automatically to the activity when it makes sense for that activity. Eg. pause and play from a DVD device in a watch DVD activity. The coloured buttons would not have been picked up in that fashion by the software.

VJP

Bugger. So the Teletext functions don't get picked up by the remote in the Console function, unless I create an activity that uses them?

EDIT: Also what I meant before is that in the LCD display (Additional Buttons), I can select X, Y, etc for the 360. However as mentioned before, the teletext buttons are disabled unless the device is set to TV.

So I'm still uncertain how I can assign the xbox 360 buttons to the teletext colored buttons.

Edited by chipmunk

Bugger. So the Teletext functions don't get picked up by the remote in the Console function, unless I create an activity that uses them?

EDIT: Also what I meant before is that in the LCD display (Additional Buttons), I can select X, Y, etc for the 360. However as mentioned before, the teletext buttons are disabled unless the device is set to TV.

So I'm still uncertain how I can assign the xbox 360 buttons to the teletext colored buttons.

Generally you should use activities 99.9% of the time, so I do not see that as a problem. It is just a matter of editing the buttons for the activity, eg "Play 360" and assign a function from the 360 to those buttons.

Generally you should use activities 99.9% of the time, so I do not see that as a problem. It is just a matter of editing the buttons for the activity, eg "Play 360" and assign a function from the 360 to those buttons.

Sweet!

Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong. Of sorts.

I was not assigning the teletext buttons to the console under the devices, only activities. Now I've learned a bit more about how this works and it seems to be working like a charm! :D

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: P.S. I see what you mean by only using activities. It makes sense now, and no need to use the devices individually.

Edited by chipmunk

EDIT: P.S. I see what you mean by only using activities. It makes sense now, and no need to use the devices individually.

TIP: If you are in an activity and need to jump into device mode just for a command you don't often use, once you're finished in device mode, you can press activities twice to get out of the device mode and back into the the preious activity

TIP: If you are in an activity and need to jump into device mode just for a command you don't often use, once you're finished in device mode, you can press activities twice to get out of the device mode and back into the the preious activity

FYI, you can press Activity key or Device key twice and return to previous Activity.

FYI, you can press Activity key or Device key twice and return to previous Activity.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the tips.

I can see now why some said it's not the most intuitive system at the start. But once you get used to it, it works really well.

I can't believe how long it took me to figure out how to assign buttons to a device, not an activity. Then to the activity for it to work like I wanted too.

Now it all works really well.

I also noticed that the remote does have a sensor. So when you pick it up when it's inactive, it automatically switches on. I read somewhere it lacks this though, so I was surprised that it works.

I have the same remote and quite happy with it. The down side is that the "User Guide" leaves allot to be desired. Infact it nearly non existent. I had problems when my Sony TV would not switch to HDMI. I got the answer eventually from the Logitech Harmony forum..

The Philips Pronto remotes get a good wrap