Buying New Hd Dvds That Are Not Sealed?

I've got several brand new HD DVDs in the mail that have turned up with no shrinkwrap seal on them.

I also got Bourne Ultimatum from Big-W and it only had the check seal on it that they put on in the shop.The first copy of BU I got had a scratched disc with dust all over it .So I took it back and told them that someone must have returned it after realising it wouldn't play in their standard DVD player or something like that.I explained that the price sticker was stuck directly to the case so it must have never been sealed with shrinkwrap.

They opened all the remaining clear security cases to check the others and they were all unsealed(about 8 copies).They found me one with a clean and perfect disc and gave me that one instead.

I've been told that sellers are opening to check them when there are damaged ones found in the same box,so this probably explains it.

Anyone else received un-sealed cases?

I've got several brand new HD DVDs in the mail that have turned up with no shrinkwrap seal on them.

I also got Bourne Ultimatum from Big-W and it only had the check seal on it that they put on in the shop.The first copy of BU I got had a scratched disc with dust all over it .So I took it back and told them that someone must have returned it after realising it wouldn't play in their standard DVD player or something like that.I explained that the price sticker was stuck directly to the case so it must have never been sealed with shrinkwrap.

They opened all the remaining clear security cases to check the others and they were all unsealed(about 8 copies).They found me one with a clean and perfect disc and gave me that one instead.

I've been told that sellers are opening to check them when there are damaged ones found in the same box,so this probably explains it.

I've had a few I've bought that have no shrinkwrap but have a store seal. They've all been ok.

ezydvd burwood does this. They take the hd-dvds and place them in plastic sleeves behind the counter, then put the cases on display.

I have been caught with two discs form Big W & JB which had been used and resealed. Both of them had minor marks on them.

Cheers

Struggo

I hate BigW when it comes to buying discs from them.

Every game I bought (at least from my local store) has had scratches. Some so severe that the game would freeze or the 360 can't even read it.

It's because of the way those incompetent fools at the stores store them. Bundled up together, discs scratching other discs.

The last time I went there I bought NFS Pro Street. Low and behold, the girl serving couldn't find it for ages. When she finally did, she gave me the first disc she saw which also came with a bent/ripped booklet. Good customer service would get you to think that she would at least try to be nice after wasting 30 min of my time by getting a good copy...

All of my online purchases came shrink wrapped. That includes some from Ezy, Downunder, Crave & Hidefoz. I didn't order any from Dstore.

The only one that didn't come wrapped was the BSG boxset from an Ezy DVD store (not online). They only had one left and that was the one that had an empty box on the shelf with the discs stored under the counter. Discs were in good shape luckily.

Edited by Musketeer

This is a pet peeve of mine, stores that sell "gutted" product

EB are the worst for it, just about every game they sell has been opened and the discs filed in the drawers, some Big W, Target and K-Marts are the same

However on a visit to EzyDVD at Parramatta on Saturday I saw a great idea

They had colour photocopied the cover of every HD DVD they had, stuck it in an old DVD case, marked it with a price and dumped it in the bin out the front

All you did was grab the dummy case take it to the counter and receive a nice, new sealed copy of the HD DVD you wanted (and you had to pay of course) :)

This store also had the same thing hapening with Blu-Ray discs, although they weren't in a dump bin for $10, more's the pity

So it really depends on the individual store

Personally, for $10 I'd accept a "gutted" copy, but if I was paying $40 a disc, I'd walk away before I bought an opened copy

I've had problems before with JB's re-shrinkwrapping things before. I know one box set I bought a while ago, I got out of the store, checkede the discs, and the set had clearly been opened before - one of the discs was slightly scratched, with fingerprints on it - not deep scratches or anything, but I figured that I was buying a new product, so it shouldn't be scratched at all. Anyway, after taking it back to the desk, and them assuring me that it'd still play, and me arguing that I shouldn't have to worry about whether a brand-new disc would play, they eventually exchanged the set for another one on the shelf (not scratched, thankfully). But I heard the salesperson tell another one as I was walking off to put the set I'd just returned back on the shelf because it'd be fine...

(and then the replacement set had big strong sticky tape stuck to the actual cardboard box for the set, attempting to take it off would've just ripped the box I suspect, so I actually had to ask for ANOTHER replacement after that, served by the same guy at the counter. Pretty sure they must've been glad to see the end of me that day...)

Edited by adhock

I hate BigW when it comes to buying discs from them.

Every game I bought (at least from my local store) has had scratches. Some so severe that the game would freeze or the 360 can't even read it.

It's because of the way those incompetent fools at the stores store them. Bundled up together, discs scratching other discs.

The last time I went there I bought NFS Pro Street. Low and behold, the girl serving couldn't find it for ages. When she finally did, she gave me the first disc she saw which also came with a bent/ripped booklet. Good customer service would get you to think that she would at least try to be nice after wasting 30 min of my time by getting a good copy...

and did they THEN put a big sticker on the case ?? That's BigW for you !! Whats with the ridiculous practice of putting a sticker on the cases - especially CDs ?? If I find a CDSingle that I'm after - and it sadly happens to be at BigW - I tell them DONT put a sticker on it - only to encounter a dazed look by the staff. Hell - its less than $4 ... and I'm not bringing it back.

well, low and behold, after purchasing Kiss Kiss Bang Bang from EzyDVD today in what appeared untouched packagin/shrinkwrap, i open up the case to find that the movie does not have any label on the disc.

Is this some sort of a rare occurence, or is this supposed to be the deal with this title? I can try and post a pic if anyone would like to see it.

well, low and behold, after purchasing Kiss Kiss Bang Bang from EzyDVD today in what appeared untouched packagin/shrinkwrap, i open up the case to find that the movie does not have any label on the disc.

Is this some sort of a rare occurence, or is this supposed to be the deal with this title? I can try and post a pic if anyone would like to see it.

I've just opened up my copy to check. You are right. It is a combo disc! One side HD DVD and other R1

Yeah, confused me at the time as well. Didn't realize that any combo discs had been released in Australia.

Smokin' Aces is the only official one I know of. PAL R2/4/5. And according to the packaging, the DVD side's extras are 5.1 while the HD side's extras are only 2.0.

Edit: Oops, double post. I thought multiple consecutive replies were folded into the first, but apparently not.

Edited by Prime

Are you guys blind? There's a label around the middle. It's small, but pretty hard to miss since there's nothing else there. My DVD side was scratched too, even though it was sealed, but I can live.

Not blind, just wasn't expecting it when I opened the case. Didn't exactly take long to figure it out, but it still sort of confused me briefly.

Yeah, confused me at the time as well. Didn't realize that any combo discs had been released in Australia.

I know Smokin' aces is a combo too. Havent heard of any others, but would be interesting to see which ones are. Does anyone know of a site with a list to Australian Combo/Non Combo Releases?