Blu Ray Bargains Thread

they are $16 warner titles. should not be $20 each. even at jb i think they are 15.98 atm.

JB stickered price was $23.98 each.

I might have purchased if they were $12 each, but for old catalogue titles with only DD5.1 (the HD-DVD had DD+) and not even the Director's Cut, they are not even worth $16 IMO.

JB stickered price was $23.98 each.

I might have purchased if they were $12 each, but for old catalogue titles with only DD5.1 (the HD-DVD had DD+) and not even the Director's Cut, they are not even worth $16 IMO.

Same way that I was happy to buy Beetlejuice for $12 from K Mart (and Contact at 12 too), I love Beetlejuice and know that all the talk about the Blu Ray version was that it made the movie look worse (Grainy etc), but in my opinion, I thought that the video was worth the $12 upgrade, it is clearer than the DVD version for sure, but audio is no different. I would not have wanted to pay $25 shelf price and get that result, but 12 is OK to me.

I also wanted the original Batman (Jack NICHOLSON), but that is selling for $16, and for its age I would risk 12, but not $16.

I would have made a purchase at JB to save another $1, but I would have to have bought three to get that price, and there wasn't anything else I wanted that was in that deal price range, their innaloo store (JB) had Shooter stickered at $15.98? but when they checked it was actually $39, and they said they would not honour that ticket. Not worth an argument, I did not really want Shooter that much anyway due to standard DD on audio (why on earth did they release a fairly new movie in standard def audio?), but the video is meant to be quite a nice upgrade.

When I see a Blu Ray disc on sale for $12, I would replace any DVD I already have, no matter how old it is and how much the reviews slag off the Blu Ray version. I just have to have it.

Come on Big W, your turn to get some specials happening now. Maybe even carry some more range too.

Mark

amazon uk

2 for 15 pound

not great but ...........

I concur..... just the usual compliation of old Sony and Univeral crap. Though I am 'surprised' that they haven't raised the prices on them - so that the 'bargain' looks 'good' :)

whilst we are on UK bargains...... this looks like a great deal - if you have the time

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DH9...ag=bluraycom-21

MAD MEN - seasons 1 and 2 for 17.99pds (less VAT) - ABOUT $30 before VAT and add shipping.

HELL - THAT IS A GOOD DEAL !!!

Edit - 15.31pds without VAT - $A25

Edited by tonyjg

Further to my earlier message where I noted that WOW sight & Sound (in everywhere around Oz other than WA) were selling Transformers Special edition 2 disc for $19.95 (Blu Ray).

They dont have a WOW Sight & Sound in SA or in metropolitan Melbourne!!!

That sux for me!!!

They dont have a WOW Sight & Sound in SA or in metropolitan Melbourne!!!

That sux for me!!!

or Sydney

Guest PLG1962
check this out for a bargain (not). why pay $50 for bourne trilogy, when you can pay....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bourne-Identity-Sup...=item3efa8aae30

at least it isnt "rare" :lol:

oh and noticed this on the page as well

Visit our website for all your DVD, Blu Ray, Console and Gaming needs at bargain prices

Edited by PLG1962

Anyone know any K-Marts in WA that have Awake on blu-ray for $12. I went to warwick and rang Joondlup on Saturday but they said they had no stock.

Anyone know any K-Marts in WA that have Awake on blu-ray for $12. I went to warwick and rang Joondlup on Saturday but they said they had no stock.

Mr Pickle (Michael?)

You could try taking the catalogue along to JB at Whitford or Joondalup, they do say they will price match, and K Mart is local (if the manager is under 20 you may be pushing your luck though). I know that Big W match too as I have already had a couple that were advertised at JB, but never actually stocked (don't you love that when it happens to you, or they say they just sold the last one and you were the first person in on the first day of the sale), the manager authorised the price match.

Worth a go if you really want it.

Mark

love everything arnie! all awesome

You must like the action. The guy can't act ...infact he can't govern either...only in America.

Hello :D

anyone care to guess what i'm about to do? :D

http://www.bigw.com.au/entertainment/newmoondvd.html

I think you're just after the Team Edward Tattoo pack :P

Knowing Big W, the price will most likely be extremely competitive so not a bad pre-order choice at all - I might do the same.

Any idea what the audio specs will be like for Aust though? I hope they've learnt from the debacle of the first Twilight otherwise it will have to be a UK import once again.

Anyone selling Surrogates at a good price locally ?

FYI...The Payback Oz Blu-ray features Dolby TrueHD on both the Directors & Theatrical cuts, as opposed to the back cover stating plain old Dolby Digital...A steal at $12 in Kmart currently...

Anyone seen a pre-order bargain for 2012?

Same way that I was happy to buy Beetlejuice for $12 from K Mart (and Contact at 12 too), I love Beetlejuice and know that all the talk about the Blu Ray version was that it made the movie look worse (Grainy etc), but in my opinion, I thought that the video was worth the $12 upgrade, it is clearer than the DVD version for sure, but audio is no different. I would not have wanted to pay $25 shelf price and get that result, but 12 is OK to me.

I too picked up Beetlejuice ($11 in the JB b2g1f), not having owned it on DVD and it being a favourite of the wife's.

We watched the entire thing in Dolby Digital, and then I found out at the end it had a TrueHD track! Grrr. Don'tcha just hate it when DD is the default over something better?

I too picked up Beetlejuice ($11 in the JB b2g1f), not having owned it on DVD and it being a favourite of the wife's.

We watched the entire thing in Dolby Digital, and then I found out at the end it had a TrueHD track! Grrr. Don'tcha just hate it when DD is the default over something better?

Possibly the only downside to Warner releases and their "no ads or menus before the main film" policy. B)

Whats the PQ like?

FYI...The Payback Oz Blu-ray features Dolby TrueHD on both the Directors & Theatrical cuts, as opposed to the back cover stating plain old Dolby Digital...A steal at $12 in Kmart currently...

Does this have the same extras as the US edition?

Anyone seen a pre-order bargain for 2012?

just wait 1 week, BigW will most likely sell it for less than $29

Whats the PQ like?

Compared to DVD version I would say about 30 - 50% better, more clarity on little things like items in their kitchen, bedspread that now looks like one of those patchwork quilt, but on DVD looks like flat material. When BJ gets hiead shrunk, you really can see the halo aroind where they matte the frame, but that did not stop our enjoyment.

To put it against a Blu Ray like Dark Knight would make it appear awful. But I would be pushed to start using any real PQ number, but if I had to I would say about 6 to 7, but the DVD would be about 4 on that scale.

With regard to the True HD audio, I did push up the top menu as it is not automatic, and funny that there is no option for selecting audio once you get into the hidden menu, I had to force change to english audio 2 using my Harmony 1 remote audio slection. Easy enough, but again, to be honest. I think that True HD showed no real difference on the sound to me than standard DD option. there is little use of rear or side surrounds, and it does sound quite hollow overall. But I did not expect miracles for its age. The audio did appear an improvement on the version on my DVD version, but that might just be my wishful thinking.

For $12, in my opinion it was worth the spend. I just think that the HD review at High Def Digest was a little harsh, but I am a big fan of this movie, so I would be biased.

My HT system:

Pioneer PDP-LX508A

Yamha RXV3800

Richter Dragons to front mains, side and rears, Richter Legend centre with tandem B&W ASW1000 sub cut in at under 80Hz, and Richter Thor rear sub for .1

Off topic: Re 3D movies at the cinema

A couple of year ago, my wife and I went to LA and saw the 3D Terminator 2 at Universal studios theme park (you know, it is a clip about 15 mins long and not from the movie, it was filmed with the actors though). Since then, every time I watch any 3D movie here now, it just does not look right. People around you all dodge to the left as liquid metal mans spike finger zooms into the 3D LA cinema, and when liquid metal man is blasted, all the liquid metal blobs float around you in the air in front of you.

We saw Alice in Wonderland yesterday at Currambine megascreen in 3D, once we got all the popcorn fat off the global use glasses and started to watch the movie, I expected to see everything in full colour range, with things feeling like they are touching my nose, and to get a real sense that i am really seeing true depth in the visuals.

Does anyone else think that the movie appear to be more like looking at two layers of depth (fore ground and background, rather than true sense of deepth from for ground to far distance) and not full colour range? I also found that I noticed the movie appeared to be flickering like a flourescent light about to pop. My wwife agreed on lack of clean colours, and layer depth, but di not notice any flicker.

I came out of the movie with a headache, that would have had a PQ of 100 out of 10 too, I think it was the strobing that I noticed.

What is the difference between how they do 3D at Univeersal in LA and the local cinema here?

And on that, I would not be getting a 3D screen if that is how it looked. I think my Plasma appears for realistic for me at the moment. So this big release of Samsung and LG 3D LCD's late this year will not be on my "to buy list".

I really did go off topic there, sorry, really wanted to talk about 3D

Mark

Guest PLG1962
Hello :D

anyone care to guess what i'm about to do? :D

http://www.bigw.com.au/entertainment/newmoondvd.html

wish i knew the price, probably tell me when i do the pre order if it's not cc like the last one :D

edit

it's for store pickup :D

correct reply should be waste money :)