Sign in to follow this  

Blu Ray Bargains Thread

This is great news but I have a sneaky suspicsion they will run out of stock in the first few minutes and not honour the cost which is a shame but I guess we can only hope they keep up with the specials.

the last one at target had the 'till stocks run out' caveat if I remember. if no caveat here then nothign stopping you doing a rain check. yep a terrific bargain really and some great titles there too.

by the way, the catalogue is up online now, and nobody has noticed the most important title in the catalogue.

Top of Page 21 - MASH - The complete collection.

All 11 series, plus the movie and 2 discs of extras coming to 36 discs in total.

I actually had this in my basket at Amazon ready for my next order, it actually works out cheaper from BigW at $198 :)

Do bigw have that policy where if it's not in stock during the special you can put it on order at the same price...?
The catalogue doesn't seem to state if there are rain-checks or not.

Just the usual disclaimer guys, nothing about rain check or special conditions, starts Thursday and I can pick up stuff if anyone is looking for specific movies

the last one at target had the 'till stocks run out' caveat if I remember. if no caveat here then nothign stopping you doing a rain check. yep a terrific bargain really and some great titles there too.

well the disclaimer at the back reads "if an item is out of stock we will attempt to supply you with a similar item".

This doesn't really work for BDs though, does it ?

So I'm guessing no rain-checks.

This is great news but I have a sneaky suspicsion they will run out of stock in the first few minutes and not honour the cost which is a shame but I guess we can only hope they keep up with the specials.

I could be wrong but I just don't see the interest in HD format being that great among the general commuity. Here's hoping the stock is enough to cover what interest there is though.

Personally, the only ones I'd consider buying are Rocky Balboa, DejaVu and perhaps Gone in 60 Seconds. They're the only ones I'm the slightest bit interested in and can't buy cheaper from the US and have work on my Region B PS3. I guess three out of 19 is ok but it's not a big percentage.

Given the choice of buying locally or overseas, even for a few dollars saving buying overseas, I would be happy to wait, Having spent the last 7 odd years buying DVDs online, Im just used to it. Thats not to say I have never impulse bought locally, but I also hate to support big stores like JB. Odd, but just habit Im afraid.

*Personally* I am happy to order from overseas because a)It usually works out cheaper (I use the chepest airmail option and delivery time varies from 11-14 days) , b ) Selection and titles out quicker, c) Those pesky chunky DVD style Blu-Ray cases we have here. Case in point I just received some titles I ordered here (these were exclusive to here so that is the difference from the above) and they just take up more room on my shelf :)

Edited by Spero D.

i went to my nearest bigW today, and they only had a couple titles(last samurai, 300 and one or two more), :(

im hoping they bring more out on thursday...

Out of curiousity - civic video running a competition to win an HDDVD prize pack was presented on here as "Civic video picks a side" - given that Big W are now running a competion to win an LCD and a BD player, does that mean that they have now picked a side?

Guest Danny Boy
Out of curiousity - civic video running a competition to win an HDDVD prize pack was presented on here as "Civic video picks a side" - given that Big W are now running a competion to win an LCD and a BD player, does that mean that they have now picked a side?

There hasn't been any official word from BigW but I haven't seen any HD-DVD titles in any of their stores. They are advertising BD very well though.

i went to my nearest bigW today, and they only had a couple titles(last samurai, 300 and one or two more), :(

im hoping they bring more out on thursday...

Me thinks that will be the biggest problem here. Great to have the low prices however title selection may be a big issue. They have not had a great range up until this point.

Of course love to be proven wrong.

Fair point and I think the answer is yes. Same goes for Target and K-mart (in those stores stocking BD).

Mate, it starts tomorrow.

we never got a bigw catalog showing the BD stuff on sale. only a big W baby catalog with wiggles DVDs. hope the sales out our way as well, nto jsut restricted to certain regions/zones.

we never got a bigw catalog showing the BD stuff on sale. only a big W baby catalog with wiggles DVDs. hope the sales out our way as well, nto jsut restricted to certain regions/zones.

the catalogue is on www.bigw.com.au

no mention of being restricted to certain areas.

the catalogue is on www.bigw.com.au

no mention of being restricted to certain areas.

thanks andrew !

I went and picked up a few titles from my local big W. zorg was right the sale was on after 3:30pm today ! :)

They didnt have a dedicated section for blu-ray or anything, infact I was walking around and around the dvd section and damn nearly gave up to walk out the door thinking maybe they didnt have any blu-ray in the store I was.

but yeah found them stashed away literally mixed in with the ps3 titles. the scanner they had confirmed the pricing of $29 ea. unforgiven was $24.81 ! and strangely behind enemy lines was $38 something. but a few collection of titles there for $29. I had most already or seen already so only picked up three, shooter, holiwood land and harts war :)

there was 300, MI3, devil something, chicken little, dejavu, the departed, pirates of the caribean and few more cant rmemeber ! :) so go get em guys !

I stopped by a Big W on my way home and unlike Al, the range was abysmal. Less than half of the titles in the catalog were available. I picked up Chicken Little (which I've tested and works - look forward to a lot of new titles to add to the region free from you guys).

I went to both EzyDVD and JB in an attempt to get a pice match and the answer at both was "sorry that's below our cost". Given that means the cost price on these discs is above $30 I would not expect to see too many of these sales. Sorry Danny Boy, looks like you'll be paying higher prices for a while yet.

I stopped by a Big W on my way home and unlike Al, the range was abysmal. Less than half of the titles in the catalog were available. I picked up Chicken Little (which I've tested and works - look forward to a lot of new titles to add to the region free from you guys).

I went to both EzyDVD and JB in an attempt to get a pice match and the answer at both was "sorry that's below our cost". Given that means the cost price on these discs is above $30 I would not expect to see too many of these sales. Sorry Danny Boy, looks like you'll be paying higher prices for a while yet.

I wouldnt call the selction to jump for joy for in the store I went to either mo, jsut hte ones listed and just two shelves about six disks wide. As mentioned all mixed up with ps3 titles. so yeah a bit of a dogs breakfast. though ype a few bargains waiting for someone if looking...and willing ot look.

I wouldnt call the selction to jump for joy for in the store I went to either mo, jsut hte ones listed and just two shelves about six disks wide. As mentioned all mixed up with ps3 titles. so yeah a bit of a dogs breakfast. though ype a few bargains waiting for someone if looking...and willing ot look.

Well Al, I just called another store and they have the titles I want and they have put them aside for me to grab tomorrow, so looks like I've gotten to enjoy the best of both worlds, cheaper greater range from OS and, the few sales that pop up locally. All played on my sub $600AU PS3 which plays all games released anywhere in the world. :)

Given that means the cost price on these discs is above $30

More like ezydvd are lying thieves.

I very seriously doubt that their cost price is over $30.

More like ezydvd are lying thieves.

I very seriously doubt that their cost price is over $30.

JB said it too (not that they are honest either). But neither said no till they looked it up in the system.

JB said it too (not that they are honest either). But neither said no till they looked it up in the system.

I mean it might be right, but it sounds a bit dodgy.

I would assume that their markup on these things would be horrendous.

I mean it might be right, but it sounds a bit dodgy.

I would assume that their markup on these things would be horrendous.

They were charging $43.95 for Shooter at JB and a straight $44 for Reign of Fire at EzyDVD so yes it is horrendous

Amongst the junk mail today was the BIG W ' Monster Movie Mayhem ' catalogue . BIG W is having a massive DVD sale from Thursday 16th Aug. to Sept.1st.

On the back cover was the Blu-ray movie sale of 18 titles at $29.48c each, of course on the same page the PS3 is advertised at $ 987 as the blu-ray player you need to buy to take advantage of this promotion.

Considering the low price of $8.83 for a lot of the DVD titles and $12.87c for recent titles one would wonder how competitive the HD formats are going to have to be to even to attract more than a passing glance.

The key to all of this is the low priced HD player.

C.M

They were charging $43.95 for Shooter at JB and a straight $44 for Reign of Fire at EzyDVD so yes it is horrendous

Cant imagine spending that kinda money on dvds, just d/l them from torrent sites dvd quality.