Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

Yep, you need the US release with Astro Boy 709er - but it is region A locked too. Not sure on the UK copy, maybe the same as our second rate OZ release.

Thanks Jutta.

Just my luck to make a "spur of the moment" purchase, and for it to be a total stuff-up!

Will be back there in a week or so to pickup my new specs, so will grab a refund -_-

Edit: I can deal with Region A, so now (after getting the urge to see it), will "get down and boogie" on the net.

Edited by 709er

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were full page ads in both the Herald Sun and the Geelong Advertiser this morning for JBs stocktake sale ... 15% off TVs, 20% off amps & "floor" speakers ... NO mention of BDs/DVDs.

I can confirm no 20% off sale at Chatswood, but the old 2 for $20 sale is back on with the same titles as before. There may be new titles available but I cannot say what they are.

Also, anyone worried about aspect ratios being butchered - I'd recommend everyone to avoid buying any titles from Pinnacle Films (link)... every single one of their releases is cropped to 1.78:1 when the movie is 2.35:1 OAR. Many of these titles were less than $10 at Big W but they aren't worth it!

Why do we get these aborted versions? It seems so unecessary. What do you think is the demographic?

According to Blu-ray.com original aspect ratio was 2.39:1

that might be the case, but a number of films that are intended to be shown in 2.35:1 - 2.40:1 are sometimes filmed in 16:9, but framed for 2.35:1 - 2.40:1, then during editing, they remove the bits above and below. My point is that they may have received a copy of the film where the bits above and below have not been removed, therefore you would not be missing out on anything, instead you will have gained vision not previously seen.

that might be the case, but a number of films that are intended to be shown in 2.35:1 - 2.40:1 are sometimes filmed in 16:9, but framed for 2.35:1 - 2.40:1, then during editing, they remove the bits above and below. My point is that they may have received a copy of the film where the bits above and below have not been removed, therefore you would not be missing out on anything, instead you will have gained vision not previously seen.

Yeh but that is NOT the case with Astro Boy AU - it is definitely 100% cropped. I also checked some of the titles released by Pinnacle Films (all entertainment) here in AU like The Code against the US release and it's cropped as well!

I bought Coffin Rock from Big W a few weeks ago (for $8.83).

It's a great film, if your willing to change genre from drama to horror half way through.

This Pinnacle BD is also 1.78, though in the making of they talk about (and show!) that the film was intended to be 2.35.

The 1.78 is open matte, ie we get EXTRA information at the top and bottom.

Watching the film first I thought it was great. Then seeing it chopped at the top and bottom in the making of sort of made me feel that info was missing. I usually respect the dierctor's wishes, and maybe if I had first seen the movie in 2.35 I would have felt differently, but in this case I liked the open matte BD.

Anyway, for $8.83 for a BD you can't be too picky.

Michael

PS - It seems that I was wrong that JB were preparing for a 20% off DVD/BD sale. Overall the bargains are much better from Amazon UK and USA, so I don't miss it.

Arghhh! well if the price does not come down by release date in the US then will give it a miss until drops to 20 in US.

Can't believe Alien Anthology was Region Free as saved heaps by Getting from Amazon UK

Off topic, but how much did they hit you for delivery with that large boxset? I normally buy 10 or more BD's at a time from Amazon UK, but finding it hard to find anything I am wanting (Or that I can get without having to hide), but the Alien boxset is certainly in my sights.

If you picked up a quantity of others I guess it would be hard to work it out.

Still their pricing is good, then take off the VAT before you put the delivery on, so guess it will still be a good deal.

And

I wanted to pick up A Team, but my wife says I can sit in another room if I want to watch that. Sometimes you have to take one for the team! So I won't be getting that one, or Green Zone, or Hurt Locker, or Law Abiding Citizen.

Oh, am I having a rant? (But the Aliens movies are OK? Strange I know)

And

I wanted to pick up A Team, but my wife says I can sit in another room if I want to watch that. Sometimes you have to take one for the team! So I won't be getting that one, or Green Zone, or Hurt Locker, or Law Abiding Citizen.

Whoa dude, you can't buy a BD without your wifes 'OK'?

MOST of the discs I have the wife wont watch, it dosn't stop me buying them though! :P

Yeh but that is NOT the case with Astro Boy AU - it is definitely 100% cropped. I also checked some of the titles released by Pinnacle Films (all entertainment) here in AU like The Code against the US release and it's cropped as well!

As stated, def cropped.

I'm sure it happens the other at times, i.e. filmed in full and cut to scope, but I seriously doubt they take the time to do a full 16:9 only to cut 33% of the picture away. Then again I may be wrong, I'm in the fishing tackle industry not film making or animating :D

But yes Astro Boy is cropped for OZ.

P.S. - my 4yr old Toby loves it because Astro Boy's name before he becomes Astro Boy (which is a bit dark for the kids I might add) is Toby too!!! I didn't remember this from the carton all those years ago.

Oh, and there is an Astro Boy thread from release time in here somewhere. Probably some extra info in that if you search people.

Edited by Jutta

I can confirm no 20% off sale at Chatswood, but the old 2 for $20 sale is back on with the same titles as before. There may be new titles available but I cannot say what they are.

Bought Elizabeth 1 and 2 , Escape from New York, Honey (all Universal) with 2 for $20. One more I want but can't find a sixth.

Yep, you need the US release with Astro Boy 709er - but it is region A locked too. Not sure on the UK copy, maybe the same as our second rate OZ release.

Thanks for this. I didn't realise our version is cropped. I bought a Canadian version and it is still in transit. Any idea if the Canadian version is cropped or not?

The Alien films have a female protagonist, thus violence perpetrated by a woman (even mindless violence a la resurrection) is acceptable ... what was it Ron Pealmans character said after the Lab Torching Scene?