Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

serioushifi;108390 wrote:
dvdworldusa wants 85nzd for rotf! I dont think so. That other website is alot cheaper. Hes just updated his website and has more available.
:)

Yep the other guy is much cheaper - bear in mind these guys literally drive round the Walmart's buying up the copies retails and then onselling them, so they are paying local US tax on the Walmart price, plus their time & petrol, etc. etc... Better than not being able to get it at all! :)

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why pick up? Shouldn't The Postman be posted and delivered? :lol:

Shouldn't that be "postal"? ... oops ... that's after you have wasted 3 hours watching it :P

JB HiFi Strand Arcade CBD today:

The Descent - $19.98

really liked this movie, quite creepy (closet claustrophobe) just a word of advice, if you're gonna get this make sure you read some reviews first to make sure its the uncut UK ending and not the US version.

Why pick up? Shouldn't The Postman be posted and delivered? :lol:
Shouldn't that be "postal"? ... oops ... that's after you have wasted 3 hours watching it :P

you 2 have to fathers... no man without kids can make Dad jokes like that :P

Des Flurane;108422 wrote:
The shooting Neros ship at the end thing.

He had to destroy the ship because it had already survived a trip through a black hole once, to arrive in the past. So no reason to think that wouldn't happen again.

But the difference this time was that his ship was being consumed by the Red Matter which in turn was creating the black hole. Basically Neros ship was doing a Planet Vulcan impersonation. And didnt the Enterprises Phasers/Photon Torpedoes have nil to no effect anyway on the Narada?.

My thoughts were:

Where were the Vulcans during all this? I didn't see any of them, and it was the humans who had to come to their rescue. In the end young Spock destroyed the mining tunneler using the older Spock's spaceship with a few quick laser blasts. Why couldn't the Vulcans do that, or even the Entrerprise? The Vulcans' spaceships were much more advanced than anything the humans had, including the brand new Enterprise. It was their home world so they must have had some ships around somewhere that could do the job. And how did the jumpers survive re-entry in Vulcan's atmosphere? They jumped from out in space, but were breathing air on the laser thing and used parachutes to land, so they must have entered the atmosphere (which also makes the chain holding the thing incredibly long!). Surely Kirk and co. would have burnt up in re-entry? And if all communications were blocked by the laser how come they could use radios to talk to each other in their suits?

Speaking of spaceships, how come it took the bad guy so long to destroy Kirk's dad ship that he actually had time to evacuate the ship and then ram them at the beginning of the film? Yet when a whole fleet of (much newer by ~25 years) Earth ships arrived at Vulcan near the end, the whole lot were dispatched in mere seconds.

Why did the bad guy hang around waiting for Spock for 25 years? He had a ship from the future, so why not go home, pass on the cool new technology to his fellow (Romulans?) and warn them about what was going to happen in the future? Speaking of ships from the future, why did a mining vessel have so many weapons?

When Vulcan was gobbled up by a black hole, old Spock was so close he could see it clearly in the sky using the naked eye, so obviously the planet was very close. I'm no atrophysicist, but surely being that close to a black hole is not safe and the gravitational forces would have detroyed the planet he was on too! And why was there a Starfleet base so close to the Vulcan homeworld? Wouldn't they object? Surely Earth would if the Vulcans set up a base on the moon.

When the bad guys were destroyed, the Enterprise was trapped by the black hole's gracity. To escape they ejected the warp core. Maybe I'm missing the intricacies, but wouldn't chucking out their engine's power source have immediately dropped them out of warp, causing them to be sucked into the black hole?

If it only takes a tiny drop or red goop to generate a black hole, why did older Spock's ship have so much of the damn stuff? He had so much of it he could have taken a swim in it.

I still enjoyed the film though!

I thought it was a little odd that several of the original Trek movies revolved around preventing the Klingons from getting their hand on the Genesis weapon. Yet Spock had no problem letting the bad guys in this one get their hands on goop that makes black holes, which is vastly more dangerous. All he had to do was eject it out a window and it would have been unusable! Old age catching up on him...

Plus there are other minor inconsistencies... It should be remembered in this 'era' the Federation is fully 'born' so the Vulcans are integrated and all warships are part of the Federation Fleet (as opposed to the Enterprise TV Series where Vulcan, Andorian, and similar nations all have their own ships with varying levels of technology and the Enterprise A is well under spec and under gunned - they only get Mk.I Photon Torpedoes halfway through Season 2 - although why they didn't carry nukes like in the new BSG I'll never understand - and they have no shields other than polarised hull plates right up until season 4 IIRC when it gets upgraded) - by Kirk's era all the tech has been integrated and the fleet is standardised - Scott Bakula's ship would be 50 years old & long since decommission, etc, etc.. There is a marked Arms Race in the newer ST material with TNG (Enterprise D) starting about 100 years in the future IIRC, and so by the end of the Voyager series technology has jumped another huge level from that in the Capt. Kirk era... (i.e. the Enterprise B)

mycenius;108430 wrote:
Plus there are other minor inconsistencies... It should be remembered in this 'era' the Federation is fully 'born' so the Vulcans are integrated and all warships are part of the Federation Fleet (as opposed to the Enterprise TV Series where Vulcan, Andorian, and similar nations all have their own ships with varying levels of technology and the Enterprise A is well under spec and under gunned - they only get Mk.I Photon Torpedoes halfway through Season 2 - although why they didn't carry nukes like in the new BSG I'll never understand - and they have no shields other than polarised hull plates right up until season 4 IIRC when it gets upgraded) - by Kirk's era all the tech has been integrated and the fleet is standardised - Scott Bakula's ship would be 50 years old & long since decommission, etc, etc.. There is a marked Arms Race in the newer ST material with TNG (Enterprise D) starting about 100 years in the future IIRC, and so by the end of the Voyager series technology has jumped another huge level from that in the Capt. Kirk era... (i.e. the Enterprise B)

Hmmmmm Someones a Big Trekkie Fan :D

ARIKIP;108435 wrote:
Hmmmmm Someones a Big Trekkie Fan
:D

Ha! Actually no... If I had to rate most of the major Sci-Fi shows & franchises, it'd be:

1. Babylon 5/Crusade/LotR/LTs
  2. Firefly/Serenity
  3. (new) Battlestar Galactica*
  4. Farscape
  5. Stargate (SG-1 & Atlantis & Movie)
  6. Star Trek: Enterprise & (original) Star Trek Movies
  7. Star Wars - original 3 movies (IV-VI)
  8. Star Trek: DS9 & Voyager; original TV; & TNG Movies
  9. Star Wars - new stuff (Episodes I-III)
  10. Star Trek TNG (TV)
  11. original BSG
* Would have been No.2 but the ending of the 4th season was so clichéd and disappointing...

But I am a Sci-Fi nut! ;):D

I see you have the Original Battlestar in there too. Did you see that Glen Larson is to head a remake of the original for the Big Screen with Bryan Singer directing?. Its going to be more closer to the original than the recent Reimagining which is good in my books. Not taking away anything from the SciFi Channel version.

No hadn't heard that mate... The original for me goes alongside Logan's Run and Planet of the Apes - those late 70's Sci-Fi's that screened in NZ about 1980-ish or just before... Buck Rogers might go in there too - but it never quite excited me as much as the above 3 did... :-) As a teenage boy who couldn't be a fan of Athena/Maren Jensen (and damn Don Henley) and the less frequent Sheba/Anne Lockhart!

Adam;108403 wrote:
I thought Universal had put a stop to The Warehouse's low price Paramount titles, but I was in store this evening and they had a lot of new stock (not there when I looked last about ten days ago), all listing for $18.96! Including:

I seem to remeber there was a judgement that cleared the way.

BTW Are these all Blu-rays?

It's not the cheapest disk on the planet but it's not a bad price for a UK exclusive disk:

Downfall (~$20 AUD delivered)

http://www.dvd.co.uk/DVD/Downfall-Blu-Ray/...8BR/product.htm

Warning: It is lossy audio but it's still meant to be a good track. I'll confirm when I get it. It's also in the 2 for 18 Pound deal which means you can save a little more $$$ if you buy 2 titles from a select list. Unfortunately, I could not find a second title I really wanted :rolleyes:

dergib;108446 wrote:
...all listing for $18.96! Including:

Kung Fu Panda

The Incredible Hulk

Cloverfield

Bee Movie

Black Rain

Shooter

Shrek 3

The Spiderwick Chronicles

Top Gun

Days of Thunder

Dreamgirls

Blades of Glory

The Italian Job

The Manchurian Candidate

The Untouchables

I seem to remeber there was a judgement that cleared the way. BTW Are these all Blu-rays? Yeah they will be - but be aware a couple of them might be the early versions with no HD soundtrack (e.g. Shooter, The Italian Job, The Untouchables).

mycenius;108443 wrote:
No hadn't heard that mate... The original for me goes alongside Logan's Run and Planet of the Apes - those late 70's Sci-Fi's that screened in NZ about 1980-ish or just before... Buck Rogers might go in there too - but it never quite excited me as much as the above 3 did... :-) As a teenage boy who couldn't be a fan of Athena/Maren Jensen (and damn Don Henley) and the less frequent Sheba/Anne Lockhart!

We were lucky enough to get Battlestar Galactica on the Big Screen in Sensurround although this theatrical version was shorn of almost 1/2 an hour of footage which could be seen in its entirety with the "Saga of a Starworld"(i think)episodes. Buck Rogers was another one that went theatrical worldwide before we got the TV series. Athena/Maren Jenson....wow. I mean was Starbuck blind to go for Laurette Spangs character(i couldnt spell her character name haha)over Athena...what a load of Feldercarb ;)