Reign of Fire

Gone in 60 Seconds

X-Men: The Last Stand (heaps of copies)

Fantastic 4

Shooter (one copy)

300 (2 copies)

Pirates 1 & 2

Finding Neverland

I picked up Hollywoodland and Hellboy now I just have to find Deja-Vu and I'll be happy

Edited by SKG

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the sale was over, well i dropped in to Broadmeadows Big W (MELB) on the way out north and they had all there BR titles back at normal price. Most were $34.99 which isn't too bad if thats there non sale price

i just thought id post a msg and say how silly most of you are...

i can tell you that for a fact....

- big w are loss leaders for this movie mayhem sale - for the blu ray anyway...

- generally all retailers make no more than 10% margin/markup on all dvd's - for new releases all retailers dont make any margin at all!! - retailers like jb make higher margin on titles not many other ppl range or titles that dont have huge demand...big companies dont have 100% markups like you all think....

- the cost of these blu-ray movies from suppliers are usually greater than $30 - hence jb's reluctance to price match big w

- big w supports the blu-ray format because they only sell blu ray players (i.e. the ps3) - at least for the time being...

- and how difficult do you think it is for a department store such as big w to have the entire dvd range you want, as opposed to a specialty entertainment store such as jb?? thats why they're a department store and not a specialty store

- big w does not bulk buy stock - they commit to orders but do not keep the dvd stock in a warehouse as such, everything is store direct from the suppliers - same as every other retailer...even jb hifi...

- i hope that clears up a few things...

Thanks for the unnecessary lecture in which you didn't take in to account whether or not I'd heard about the deal prior to its starting, however ajm's point is really the key one - they didn't have enough stock to meet demand, and considering it is a TWO WEEK sale, you'd THINK they would have enough stock so that customers wouldn't HAVE to get there at the very start of the sale on the very first day to take advantage of it. You cannot blame the consumer for a corporation's screw-up.

You dont know anything!!

if big w doesnt have stock of dvd's - because everything is store direct - its the vendors (paramount, warner, roadshow, fox, universal etc...) who are the ones at fault - stores dont get stock sometimes because its delayed...if stock never arrives then an official apology would be published for all to see...otherwise...more stock is always on the way!!

u cant have 2 weeks worth of stock on day 1 of the brochure, hence why big w spread out replenishments over the 2 weeks period - its just retail 101!

if u knew what the blu-ray sales/demand was prior to the big w price slashing - youd understand why they may have under-cooked and under-estiamted the demand for these titles in most stores... retailers have budgets they need to stick within so they can only purchase so much of certain things, so much of other things...

i just thought id post a msg and say how silly most of you are...

i

You dont know anything!!

Good start :excl: , obviously I'm not included in either of those two categories :rolleyes:

Well I'm certainly glad Michael Luscombe came in here to personally clear it up!!

bottom line is - big w made record breaking profits during this mayhem sale, greater than the previous 2 brochures - so they must have done something right!

big w and other corporations arent out there to suck consumers into their store, its no conspiracy theory...its in the companies best interest to sell as many products as possible by having stock in stores - if they dont have the stock...its not done on purpose to annoy consumers...

and yes i did read every single post on this thread... and i realised everything had been discussed - but as you all seem like avid movie fans - i thought u might appreciate someone on the inside clearing a few things up...to save all the speculation and unfounded comments made by some...

speaking of inside info, speculation and clearing things up - when i went into BigW (Melbourne City Store) to check out their selection (about a week into the sale), only to find there was next to no Blu-Ray titles left, the the guy at the AV counter told me they wont be getting any more Blu-Ray in (at all) and that they are switching to HD-DVD instead. Can you confirm or deny?

speaking of inside info, speculation and clearing things up - when i went into BigW (Melbourne City Store) to check out their selection (about a week into the sale), only to find there was next to no Blu-Ray titles left, the the guy at the AV counter told me they wont be getting any more Blu-Ray in (at all) and that they are switching to HD-DVD instead. Can you confirm or deny?

the dvd industry is more defined by promotional activity now as opposed to having a range 100% of the time - unless ur more of a specialty store...so if blu ray isnt on promotion - dont expect to find exactly what you want in stores...

big w are likely to support both blu-ray and hd-dvd - the only reason big w stuck with blu-ray was because they only sold one blu-ray player (i.e. the ps3) - im sure they will get in hd players or even bluray/hddvd combo players in the future - and when that happens and prices drop, you will see more of a presence in stores of these formats...

hope this helps...

the dvd industry is more defined by promotional activity now as opposed to having a range 100% of the time - unless ur more of a specialty store...so if blu ray isnt on promotion - dont expect to find exactly what you want in stores...

In case you didn't notice BigW advertised the BD titles in their catalogue and many of the stores had NO stock of a number of titles listed. What does that tell you about how prepared they were?

No one is asking for 100% of all titles all the time but 0 copies of 'in demand' titles is down to poor planning.

No one is asking for 100% of all titles all the time but 0 copies of 'in demand' titles is down to poor planning.

Not to mention being told on the 2nd day of a 14 day sale "we sold out yesterday and won't be getting any more in before the end of the sale" :rolleyes:

Certainly sounds like bait and switch to me.

Not to mention being told on the 2nd day of a 14 day sale "we sold out yesterday and won't be getting any more in before the end of the sale" :rolleyes:

Certainly sounds like bait and switch to me.

the store told you they were sold out and are not getting anymore in - in most cases - its a casual who doesnt know anything and there is likely to be stock out the back - for them to tell you they wont be getting anymore stock in is a lie because it was communicated to them several times in the lead up to this brochure...

stores set up stock in the 1-2 days prior to a brochure - customers get the brochure a week before the brochure commences - hence some stock is sold in the days prior to the event if stores put out stock early - even though orders are in the system as brochure orders and are not to be put out on show...its impossible to prevent stores putting out stock too early...

if the stock was really that bad across all stores - would bigw have had an over 95% availability on all titles on day 1 and 2?

there are however likely to be exceptions and its not done on purpose...

if the stock was really that bad across all stores - would bigw have had an over 95% availability on all titles on day 1 and 2?

Sorry, but I call bull on that.

Look back through the thread.

I went to 3 different stores on Day 2, and none of them had a single copy of 300 or Shooter.

Many other people had similar results.

In case you didn't notice BigW advertised the BD titles in their catalogue and many of the stores had NO stock of a number of titles listed. What does that tell you about how prepared they were?

stores will never 100% comply - thats where the stock issues occur - because of store non-compliance with head offices guidelines for the brochure

blu-ray has never been 'in demand' - blu-ray sells about 10 units per week across the entire blu ray range per week - big w wouldnt have had any clue as to how popular blu-rays @ 29.48 would have been - it wouldn have been more a publicity thing to make a shout to customer that we sell some blu-ray titles - not just normal dvd's - and they couldnt just pump in unlimited stock to stores because if it didnt sell, they'd be stuck with the stock - uve got to try and find a balance of stock that will sell throu and not sit there and hog shelf space...

Sorry, but I call bull on that.

Look back through the thread.

I went to 3 different stores on Day 2, and none of them had a single copy of 300 or Shooter.

Many other people had similar results.

if 5 stores out of 100 stores didnt have stock of a blu-ray title - thats a 95% availability

your always going to get a couple stores who sell stock before the brochure starts, or who dont put it out, or who receive stock late due to transport issues

big w has over 140 stores...so 7 stores could have had these issues and its still a 95% availability - approx...

i work in the area mate - its not bull - believe it or not - we're not here to screw our customers over...