Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the unnecessary lecture in which you didn't take in to account whether or not I'd heard about the deal prior to its starting, however ajm's point is really the key one - they didn't have enough stock to meet demand, and considering it is a TWO WEEK sale, you'd THINK they would have enough stock so that customers wouldn't HAVE to get there at the very start of the sale on the very first day to take advantage of it. You cannot blame the consumer for a corporation's screw-up.

Did I blame you for BigW's stock level screw up ? I don't think so. If Big W can screw up their stock level with this sale there is no guarantee they won't screw up their next sale. You will probably get screw by them again if you get in 4 days after the sales started in their next sale.

Allow me to repeat my experience one more time for those that do not seem to get it:

I went to JB in chatswood, NSW last Sat (where there's not even a BigW in the area!!), grabbed a guy and said: BigW has 2 titles I want (300 and Shooter) for 29.48, can you match it? He said, which store? I said, it's public news, it's on their latest catalouge. So, he said, I will call them up to check. He disapeared into the back, but returned only 30 seconds!!!! later, with new price stickers on those 2 discs for 29.48.

The take away from this is: it does NOT matter if you missed out on BigW, go to JB (or EzyDVD etc etc...) someone WILL be willing to match price!!!!

End of story.

Now, go and make sure all of you gets a copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^

I missed out at Big W at QV so tried the following stores:

Target (refused to match)

Myer (refused to match)

HMV (refused to match)

David Jones (matched, but had bugger-all titles)

Jb-Hi Fi (refused to match)

I only managed to get my hands on 300 and Shooter in the 5 or 6 hour window that JB seemed to have them ALL reduced to $29 (thanks to a certain member of this forum alerting us!)

Did I blame you for BigW's stock level screw up ? I don't think so. If Big W can screw up their stock level with this sale there is no guarantee they won't screw up their next sale. You will probably get screw by them again if you get in 4 days after the sales started in their next sale.

Perhaps I just took your excessive use of 'you' to mean me personally, instead of 'you' as in the general public. As in, it's MY fault for not getting there early enough to take advantage of their sale. Which is, I'm sure you'll agree, a little ridiculous.

But you're right - there's been stock screw-ups before and there will be again. Even the guy behind the counter said to me on Sunday "It's a two week sale, we'll get more in," and then the very next day said "We won't be getting anything else at all." They were completely unprepared for the demand.

I think one lesson you will learn from this type of sale is the principal of FIFS ( first in first served). You can't expect the shop to have the stock a few days after the sale has alreday begun. So when you next hear this type of sale be prepared to be the first one in the shop. I was at Epping wihtin 2.5 hours after BigW opened and even then I missed out my copy of 300 and was fortunate to grab a copy at JB Melb.

Fair enough .... to a point.

But when you take out a full page ad, and then cannot even meet demand on the first day of a 7 day sale then that is pretty poor.

Salt in the wound is that they refuse to raincheck.

And the fact that the two most popular titles appear to have not even been stocked at all in some stores then it reeks of bait and switch.

Hey guys,

Just to give you a heads up, I took the Big W catalogue into my local JB HiFi and they priced matched all the titles in it no questions asked. I bought different titles on two different days (different sales people too) and one day was real busy and the other not.

Even gave me a title that was not in the catalogue for the same price (superman returns was $30.95)

Cheers

Steve

Just to give you a heads up, I took the Big W catalogue into my local JB HiFi and they priced matched all the titles in it no questions asked. I bought different titles on two different days (different sales people too) and one day was real busy and the other not.

They seem to be matching much more readily in Sydney than they are here in Melbourne.

They seem to be matching much more readily in Sydney than they are here in Melbourne.

I was shown the email JB stores received from their head office regarding the Big W sale, and it stated official policy was to price match *only* if it can be confirmed that the nearest Big W store had the title in stock at the advertised price.

Some stores are adhering to this, some are just matching and yet others still are plain refusing. Seems to be pot luck. But pushing the issue would most likely result in following official guidelines which means confirmation of stock and we all know how that would end.

Allow me to repeat my experience one more time for those that do not seem to get it:

Sorry to burst your (rather direct) bubble but did you read the comments being made? Many of these stores wouldn't price match at all, including the two EzyDVD stores I went to, and many would only price match if you could show that the local BIgW had stock - which many didn't. At least this was my experience.

I think people "got" the advice they just couldn't necessarily "get" the product by following it.

Went to buy Hellboy, saw EzyDVD Warrawang have their new Blu-ray/HD-DVD section, and even with signs out the front of the store promoting the new formats (about time this happened).. they had heaps of titles (even new ones like Mr Bean's Holdiay), but were all $39.95.

I told them about Big W deal, guy actually had a Big W catalogue right on the table, he said Big W sold out the day they were released. I asked if he would price match and he said he would go down to $31, so t'was a done deal ;)

Dropped into my local BigW today - Bendigo - they had some more copies of 300 on the shelf. Other titles also topped up - but no Shooter (damn). Extra stock must have trickled thru.

Same here in Newcastle..I noticed today they have a lot more BD titles in ...I also noticed a few copies of 300

although Target have increased the rrp of HD-DVD and BD titles again

Actually it was first time i've seen HD-DVD titles at Target although they only had 2 .. Happy Feet and something else..

Dropped into my local BigW today - Bendigo - they had some more copies of 300 on the shelf. Other titles also topped up - but no Shooter (damn). Extra stock must have trickled thru.

BigW Liverpool had 1 copy of 300 when I dropped in and when I left they had none :D

mil.

secret squirrel post!!i had trouble with big w having nothing exciting and no one else like target, kmart price matching, so... i bought the titles at big w (ones they had) took em to target and said birthday gifts unwanted already have them, they said do you have a receipt said nope they said exchange only, i said oh ok!! so they swapped and gave me a voucher for the $12 price difference.... you may not wanna try this at home!!...

Edited by dkmaj

secret squirrel post!!i had trouble with big w having nothing exciting and no one else like target, kmart price matching, so... i bought the titles at big w (ones they had) took em to target and said birthday gifts unwanted already have them, they said do you have a receipt said nope they said exchange only, i said oh ok!! so they swapped and gave me a voucher for the $12 price difference.... you may not wanna try this at home!!...

classic...might be worth a try :D

Although I dont have any more I want to buy

As it seems they have more stock again, I'm going to visit a store later today. From most of the earlier comments it seems they were surprised by the demand but are now on top of the situation. Hopefully BigW regard the sale as a success and will do another sale with a greater range in the lead up to xmas.

HMV in the Pitt Street Mall in Sydney is closing down and currently offering 25% off all stock (better than the 15% last week). I got the last HD-DVD version but there are two Blu-Ray copies of 300 left at about $33.70, which although not as good as the BigW price is pretty good. There are a quite few other discs there also.

Regards,

Allan

just got MI:3 and Shooter from Big W (Tee Tree Plaza). there were only one MI:3 and two copies of Shooter on the shelf when i got there.

It just shows you

You drop the price and out they go in a hurry, The guy B4 me at the counter bought 6 Blu-rays movies and he said to the girl can you please keep these others, my mate will be picking them up very soon in about 15 minutes. I think he was worried about myself cleaning the shelf up. Anyhow I now have 300, shooter, Deja Vu to my collection

I went to JB in chatswood, NSW last Sat (where there's not even a BigW in the area!!), grabbed a guy and said: BigW has 2 titles I want (300 and Shooter) for 29.48, can you match it? He said, which store? I said, it's public news, it's on their latest catalouge. So, he said, I will call them up to check. He disapeared into the back, but returned only 30 seconds!!!! later, with new price stickers on those 2 discs for 29.48.

You're lucky: whenever I have tried to do this at JB, they have rung the nearest store, found out they have no stock and declined to price match.

You're lucky: whenever I have tried to do this at JB, they have rung the nearest store, found out they have no stock and declined to price match.

see my post end of last page (secret squirel post!!) to see how to get certain stores to effectively 'price match' for you!!!