Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Danny Boy
So that's a no. When you are old enough for an after school job, you might learn of the concept of a lossleader.

I must remember who I'm dealing with. :P

Please children.

Has anyone been able to confirm the raincheck option?

Negative rain checks AFAIK will ask when I'm in tomorrow mate, anything you're looking for specifically mate as I could possibly pick up for you if you like

This is what I'd be thinking,except that you'd think they would have a more mainstream offer to get the masses in.

Yeah, I doubt BD has anything like the profile to be a 'lossleader'.

More likely that BigW made a bulk buy - ie lower wholesale cost - so then can offer at lower retail. There is a reason Amazon can offer the prices they do. ;)

It's not like prices have dropped dramatically anyway - 300 opened at a $35 cost and I picked up 'Last Samurai' for $28 at BigW the other day (so that's actually higher priced in the 'sale').

Edited by tobes

Just popped into Big W in Melbourne City.

The prices of the DVD's in stock were $29 but they really only had a couple of titles. The guy went out and looked for other titles for me but claimed they were still waiting on stock. I have a feeling he was full of sh!t, but what can you do?

Same with Bigw at Epping they had a few titles such as

Rocky B

PTOC: DMC

Fantastic 4

Hart's War

MI:3

Last Samurai

POTC: TCOTBP

Reign of Fire

I will check out BigW at around lunchtime tomorrow.

Negative rain checks AFAIK will ask when I'm in tomorrow mate, anything you're looking for specifically mate as I could possibly pick up for you if you like

Thanks for the offer mate I might make the long trek down to see whats available - I don't even own a player yet - crazy I am.

Same with Bigw at Epping they had a few titles such as

Rocky B

PTOC: DMC

Fantastic 4

Hart's War

MI:3

Last Samurai

POTC: TCOTBP

Reign of Fire

I will check out BigW at around lunchtime tomorrow.

VERY eagerly waiting for your intelligence...

I am planning to go there tonight...but if they havent got any :(

Actually, I am wondering if JB in the same building willing to match it....

Doubt it. As I mentioned yesterday, JB on Elizabeth Street (Melbourne) refused to match Big W just up the road at QV.

They had bugger all titles at our Big W yesterday, I asked them about 300 and they said try again on Friday, they should get some in stock.

On the matter of cost price of movies - you can choose to believe me or not, I'm not going to say how or why I know this, but different titles have different wholesale prices (obviously), and some do wholesale for over $30 (mostly newer titles), whilst a lot of older titles (by theatrical release date) are under $30.

For 300 it is more than likely selling at below cost, unless Big W got some awesome deal with the distributor...

Edited by aeon

Mr Fish, I have just come back from BigW Epping and grab a few discs from them, they do have most of the titles that have been advertised for $29.48 but except sadly 300 and Departed. But when I was there around 12:00 the shop assistances were still unpacking some of the titles such as Shooter and Ghost Rider. Most of the titles are $29.48 except Guardian. If you are POTC fan you'd better be quick because there are about two each left. I asked about 300 and they said they have not seen it and they still have a lot of stuff that haven't been unpacked. Look like Big W Epping is well prepare for this sale.

Edited by jliang70

Mr Fish, I have just come back from BigW Epping and grab a few discs from them, they do have most of the titles that have been advertised for $29.48 but except sadly 300 and Departed. But when I was there around 12:00 the shop assistances were still unpacking some of the titles such as Shooter and Ghost Rider. Most of the titles are $29.48 except Guardian. If you are POTC fan you'd better be quick because there are about two each left. I asked about 300 and they said they have not seen it and they still have a lot of stuff that have been unpacked. Look like Big W Epping is well prepare for this sale.

Cool, thanks a lot of the updates mate!

Unfortunately, I am actually after only 3 titles: 300, departed, and shooter :P

Well, maybe just getting the shooter first...

they are treading a dangerous path with the ACC ie advertising heavily in a catalogue and not having stock the accc loves big retailers, only takes one complaint. I remember at Coles Myer we got a few fines.

local townsville big w had 300 and POTC 1(not the 2nd) harts war and thats about it... no oher store i tried (kmart, target etc.) would price match...

Just got back from BigW Southland.

Picked up about a half adozen titles.

Gone in 60 Secs.

Hellboy.

POTC 1+2.

Dejavu.

Shooter.

X-Men 3

Their DVD area was busier than JB a few floors down.People with armfulls (SD-DVD) loaded up.

Edited by the joz

just got back from big w southland and they had everything. i picked up Reign of Fire and Deja Vu. then went around the corner to EzyDVD and they price matched not only the big w listed titles but EVERY Blu-Ray title in stock. so i couldn't help myself and picked up Monster House (for momaw), The Rock, Enemy Of The State and Hellboy (for yorac). then i decided to push my luck and asked if they would match the Sanity offer on HD-DVD of 2 for $50, she also said yesso i grabbed Mummy and Mummy Returns.

i had a good day

PS: She was a top sort as well

just got back from big w southland and they had everything. i picked up Reign of Fire and Deja Vu. then went around the corner to EzyDVD and they price matched not only the big w listed titles but EVERY Blu-Ray title in stock. so i couldn't help myself and picked up Monster House (for momaw), The Rock, Enemy Of The State and Hellboy (for yorac). then i decided to push my luck and asked if they would match the Sanity offer on HD-DVD of 2 for $50, she also said yesso i grabbed Mummy and Mummy Returns.

i had a good day

PS: She was a top sort as well

Whoo-Hoo!!

I'll try that on my way home tonight