Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

Amongst the junk mail today was the BIG W ' Monster Movie Mayhem ' catalogue . BIG W is having a massive DVD sale from Thursday 16th Aug. to Sept.1st.

On the back cover was the Blu-ray movie sale of 18 titles at $29.48c each, of course on the same page the PS3 is advertised at $ 987 as the blu-ray player you need to buy to take advantage of this promotion.

Considering the low price of $8.83 for a lot of the DVD titles and $12.87c for recent titles one would wonder how competitive the HD formats are going to have to be to even to attract more than a passing glance.

The key to all of this is the low priced HD player.

C.M

yes walking through bigW that was most apparent CM. jsut how cheaply they are sligging DVD out at. top tier DVDs were $29, box sets $38. and yeah so many at aroudn hte $10 mark. the end is near for DVD I think and the retaielrs can see it and gettign rid of any excesses of inventory befroe hi-def really kicks off.

its no different walkign throug hother retailers these days.

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant imagine spending that kinda money on dvds, just d/l them from torrent sites dvd quality.

Torrents do not come remotely close to the picture and audio quality on these discs. Not disputing tat $44 is far too much (that's why I import cheap US versions) but to try and claim torrents are the way to go :wacko:

Does anyone know if Shooter works on region A machines?

Thanks,

Adam.

Being a Paramount title I would almost put my house on the fact that it should be region free. Could I guarantee it...well no.

I have to say I'm mystified how Big W is only charging $29 for this when Amazon have it listed for USD 27.95. Either Big W is taking a loss or Amazon is making a tidy return. But hey who's complaining. Hopefully my local store has a copy.

Being a Paramount title I would almost put my house on the fact that it should be region free. Could I guarantee it...well no.

I have to say I'm mystified how Big W is only charging $29 for this when Amazon have it listed for USD 27.95. Either Big W is taking a loss or Amazon is making a tidy return. But hey who's complaining. Hopefully my local store has a copy.

More likely it is a Sony promotion to sell the PS3 as a popular BR player.

C.M

They were charging $43.95 for Shooter at JB and a straight $44 for Reign of Fire at EzyDVD so yes it is horrendous

Does any of those stores has price matching policy? BigW is not easy reach for me.

Oh, just read another post that they don't because of below cost. Better drive that extra miles before everything is gone.

Edited by PKK

Just popped into Big W in Melbourne City.

The prices of the DVD's in stock were $29 but they really only had a couple of titles. The guy went out and looked for other titles for me but claimed they were still waiting on stock. I have a feeling he was full of sh!t, but what can you do?

The prices of the DVD's in stock were $29 but they really only had a couple of titles. The guy went out and looked for other titles for me but claimed they were still waiting on stock. I have a feeling he was full of sh!t, but what can you do?

not good if the melb city store has only a couple of titles !

top tier DVDs were $29, box sets $38. and yeah so many at aroudn hte $10 mark. the end is near for DVD I think and the retaielrs can see it and gettign rid of any excesses of inventory befroe hi-def really kicks off.

Don't want to rain on your parade Al, but I've been buying DVDs from BigW/Kmart for the $10-15 price point for years.

I don't think this signals the end of DVD any more than the 2 for $50 HD DVD sale signals the end of HD DVD or the BD for $30 sale signals the end of BD.

Don't want to rain on your parade Al, but I've been buying DVDs from BigW/Kmart for the $10-15 price point for years.

I don't think this signals the end of DVD any more than the 2 for $50 HD DVD sale signals the end of HD DVD or the BD for $30 sale signals the end of BD.

i've been buying too, I have nto seen anythig of the scale of this in Big W before, neither in target last time I visited. perhaps not hthe end of dvd as I put it. but I think the retailers are wise and starting to see the writing appearing on the wall. there will be a slow move to hi-def as the new formats come in and take hold.

either that or sales are jsut slow ? people arent buying as many dvds anymore and theyre jsut tryign to stimulate sales.

~ 2 for $50 HD DVD sale signals the end of HD DVD or the BD for $30 sale signals the end of BD.

I'd never suggest that thats plasmapukes words. I'll most defintely say though the masses are still buying dvd thats for sure and as evidenced by the two shelves 6 disc wide amongst the aisles of DVDs in bigW I saw today, the format backers would have theri heads up their bums if they thought they had a war against the rival format. their battle is vs DVD a fomat they back themselves. They have to convert the buyign public to buying hi-def. when they do they have won. reality is at bigW prices theyre probably only converting buyign public from one of their formats to another at much of a price benefit ?

Guest Danny Boy
I stopped by a Big W on my way home and unlike Al, the range was abysmal. Less than half of the titles in the catalog were available. I picked up Chicken Little (which I've tested and works - look forward to a lot of new titles to add to the region free from you guys).

I went to both EzyDVD and JB in an attempt to get a pice match and the answer at both was "sorry that's below our cost". Given that means the cost price on these discs is above $30 I would not expect to see too many of these sales. Sorry Danny Boy, looks like you'll be paying higher prices for a while yet.

BigW are most certainly not selling them for a loss at $29. Me thinks JB and EzyDVD can price match but are not willing as they are still making a tidy profit.

EDIT - Looks like EzyDVD are price matching.

Edited by Danny Boy

BigW are most certainly not selling them for a loss at $29. Me thinks JB and EzyDVD can price match but are not willing as they are still making a tidy profit.

EDIT - Looks like EzyDVD are price matching.

Well they're certainly not making a profit from me who will refuse to pay over the odds for BD!

Guest Danny Boy
And I suppose you have proof of that? What am I thinking, of course you do and you'll share that proof happily with us all......

*cough*lossleader*cough*

What proof? BigW ain't gonna sell at a loss.

Even Andrew can understand that from his quote below.

More like ezydvd are lying thieves.

I very seriously doubt that their cost price is over $30.

Edited by Danny Boy

The offer is definitely available in Perth too. I stopped by the Belmont store after work and picked up Shooter. Although this was their only copy they had ample numbers of both Pirates films, Deja Vu, Ghost Rider, Departed, Reign of Fire, Rocky B, MI3 and others. They only had one copy of 300 left that I could see.

Edited by Felix.

What proof? BigW ain't gonna sell at a loss. How stupid do you have to be to not understand that?

Even Andrew can understand that from his quote below.

More like ezydvd are lying thieves.

I very seriously doubt that their cost price is over $30.

Having said that, I did say that I doubt that the cost price is over $30.

I have nothing to back that up.

It is quite possible that BigW are either selling them as a loss leader to get people into the store and sell them a PS3, or that they are getting "retail support" from the BDA (ie a discounted wholesale price not offered to the likes of JB and ezydvd) to push the format.

Guest Danny Boy
Having said that, I did say that I doubt that the cost price is over $30.

I have nothing to back that up.

It is quite possible that BigW are either selling them as a loss leader to get people into the store and sell them a PS3, or that they are getting "retail support" from the BDA (ie a discounted wholesale price not offered to the likes of JB and ezydvd) to push the format.

Ok I'll go with that. Anything's possible.

[quote name='momaw' date='Aug 15 2007, 07:59 PM' post='751176'

*cough*lossleader*cough*

This is what I'd be thinking,except that you'd think they would have a more mainstream offer to get the masses in.

This is what I'd be thinking,except that you'd think they would have a more mainstream offer to get the masses in.

To sell PS3's

What proof? BigW ain't gonna sell at a loss.

So that's a no. When you are old enough for an after school job, you might learn of the concept of a lossleader.