Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being a lazy bugger, is the local XMen 3 region free, or playable on Region A machines?

I think local Xmen 3 is region locked. Out of all the titles at $29 I will probably get 300 which is a warner bro title and from the box I saw at Blockbuster it is region free.

Good find. Are these the only one avaialbe from BIG W or the ones that are on sale?

Thanks

Benthx

That's everything listed at the back of the catalogue mate

Given the choice of buying locally or overseas, even for a few dollars saving buying overseas, I would be happy to wait, Having spent the last 7 odd years buying DVDs online, Im just used to it. Thats not to say I have never impulse bought locally, but I also hate to support big stores like JB. Odd, but just habit Im afraid.

Err Mark.....would you rather support that 'little guy', Amazon? :rolleyes:

don;t forget at 3:30pm on the day before the sale starts ie Wed for Thursday the sytem usually changes over to the sale prices when it scans. So you can get there early before they run out. You didn;t hear that from me and shhh don't tell anyone hehehe.

Your secret is safe with me. I promise i wont tell anyone.

Guest Danny Boy

Whoa! I just received the BigW catalogue and what a huge score for BD. Not only is there no mention of a rival format, but the whole back page goes into detail about BD. A huge percentage of the population receive this catalogue. Average joe is gonna take notice. $29.48!!!! I'm still in shock. And for the hard of reading I'm talking about PRICE not range. Next thing they'll tell me is 23.99 USD plus P&H is cheaper than this. And you can shove your limited discount too.

If I can get movies locally for <$30 I will get an Aussie release Blu player. I was considering importing a US player so I could get my movies at a reasonable price.

The most i have paid for a HD DVD is $38 for the 300 combo, I have about 30 others that were $25 or below.

Hakka.

Went to K Mart Fountain Gate today - neither format in stock - DSE had a BR stand and a few HD DVD's all at arm and leg prices but at least they've got them, Big W aren't putting out the advertised one's until the sale begin and didn't go to Target as they make DSE look cheap,.

Apparently I need to post this here so it becomes relevant

.....And for the hard of reading I'm talking about PRICE not range. Next thing they'll tell me is 23.99 USD plus P&H is cheaper than this. And you can shove your limited discount too.

But I thought you died in the wool blu-boys said it was content that mattered? Now content doesn't matter, it's price? i suppose that irony would be lost on you.

I also thought this BigW sale was a "limited discount". So this limited discount is more valid than another? You are a very confused little Danny boy. You can't even keep your arguments straight.

Oh and yes, I am paying less than $29.48 for most of my titles and as nearly all local titles are region free, when sales like this come up I can purchase from that range as well. I'm sorry this somehow offends you. But I informed myself before purchasing a player and am now reaping the rewards.

Sorry guys, I know I shouldn't converse with the trolls, but there is literally nothing else on the boards at the moment and he is so daft it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Guest Danny Boy
Sorry guys, I know I shouldn't converse with the trolls, but there is literally nothing else on the boards at the moment and he is so daft it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Was waiting for a line like that. Can't help yourself can ya?

Was waiting for a line like that. Can't help yourself can ya?

Don't worry about them, they just keep on trolling along.......................... :D

----------When Blu-Ray is the only format left standing them people will eat those words me tells ya!-------

Edited by plasmafreak

I do, like Mike Myers (when he plays the Scottish father) in So, I Married An Axe Murderer, In Scottish accent "SHUT IT!" :P

You have a nasty habit of resorting to telling people to "shut up" or "move along and stop posting".

If you don't want people to discuss the issue at hand, then perhaps you should just avoid the thread.

And for the hard of reading I'm talking about PRICE not range. Next thing they'll tell me is 23.99 USD plus P&H is cheaper than this. And you can shove your limited discount too.

Well I went back and looked at my last couple of Amazon orders:

Order 1:

6 discs

US$116 = AU$139

$23/disc (this order is cheaper because I chose slow shipping as a test).

Order 2:

10 discs

US$250 = AU$298

$29.80/disc

Order 3:

7 discs

US$177 = AU$211

$30.15/disc

So that's an average of AU$28.17 per disc.

And considering half of them aren't even available in Australia, I'd say that yes buying from the US is still a more viable option.

edit: and as to your comment about the "limited" discount, I'd hardly call 10% off for 12 months on all current and future HD DVD and BD titles "limited". It's a hell of a lot less limited than a one off sale at BigW on a limited selection of titles.

You have a nasty habit of resorting to telling people to "shut up" or "move along and stop posting".

If you don't want people to discuss the issue at hand, then perhaps you should just avoid the thread.

AndrewW, I meant it in a joking manner.

Nothing serious.

What about you? "Move along people, nothing to see here".

Just telling like it is.

The catalogue doesn't seem to state if there are rain-checks or not.

This is great news but I have a sneaky suspicsion they will run out of stock in the first few minutes and not honour the cost which is a shame but I guess we can only hope they keep up with the specials.