Sign in to follow this  
msp

Computer To Projector Problem

i just connected my computer to my projector with dvi to hdmi adaptor for comp then the hdmi cord connects to the projector. there is no picture, im using a sanyo Z5 projector and idea whats wrong i changes my resolution to 1280 x 720 and that didnt do anything. also is there a way i can connect it to my av reciever and get it working that way?

Sometimes the projector needs to be running and connected before you start the PC or in my case, I have FN+F5 to switch monitors for the HDMI out...

Mark

its nvidia 7800GTX, i think it isnt. so i need a HDCP compliant video card?

from Nvidia's own faq:

"HDCP Capable:

Designed to meet the output protection management (HDCP) and security specifications of the Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats, allowing the playback of encrypted movie content on PCs when connected to HDCP-compliant displays:

To enjoy the ultimate HD DVD or Blu-ray experience on a PC, you’ll need:

* PCI Express graphics card with secure HDCP CryptoROM and GeForce 7 Series HDCP-capable GPU with 256MB of graphics memory or GeForce 8 Series HDCP-capable GPU with 128MB of graphics memory

* NVIDIA ForceWare graphics drivers that feature PureVideo HD technology

* An optical disc drive that supports Blu-ray and/or HD DVD movie playback

* Blu-ray or HD DVD movie player software with PureVideo HD hardware acceleration of H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2 high-definition content

* A dual-core CPU is recommended with the GeForce 7 Series

* 1GB of system memory is recommended under Windows XP; 2GB is recommended under Windows Vista. "

The fact that Nvidia now make specific mention that their new cards have this support, suggests two things, 1) yes you will need it, and 2) if they dont list it for your product, chances are it doesnt have it.

Thats not to say that you cant sometimes run SD DVD across HDMI with non-HDCP equipment, but if any of the components require HDCP (and most of the new stuff now does), then every piece in the chain needs to support it.

Cheers

but i just want what i see on my monitor to be projected, i dont want to play DVD's. or nothing can be projected from my comp unless i get a HDCP-compliant graphics card?

You don't need HDCP to get a signal from a PC to a projector over HDMI.

The only thing not having HDCP will do is play HD movies in SD. The signal will still work.

Have you got it on the right source on the projector? Are you using a dual view video card? Can you confirm it works to another source?

ah ok, i thought you were playing dvds

double check your monitor settings are at 50hz

Also, and yes stupid question i admit, but u are pushing the HDMI button on the remote and not the PC button by mistake?

Edited by Tyrus

i unplug the monitor put the dvi connection in to the comp and connect the hdmi cord to hdmi1 in the back of the projector and then change the input to hdmi1 on the projectors menu

i use 60Hz (lowest) and low resolution and it still doesnt work :(

any ideas?

It could well be the cable.

Do you have any other HDMI cables to test with? Or can you test the cable with another device? Like a HD STB?

My instincts say try another display (desktop monitor?) first - if it doesn't work, try swapping the cables.

Also, make sure the correct display is selected - check your video card driver - there is usually an "identify monitor" selection - if the display is greyed out .. it may be an EDID issue.

You could try forcing the driver to select a similar display.

ood luck

got it working, i clicked force tv detection then it detected the projector :)

Is there a way to connect it to the av reciever, i put it into the hdmi slot but does the output need to be hdmi aswell? or can i use component which is what the dvr player is using now.

DVR: Pioneer DVR-550HX-s

AMP: Pioneer VSX-917V-s

Edit: Just tried watchign a few video clips, the clips play on the computer monitor but its displayed as a black screen on the projector, is this because my video card is not HDCP compliant?

Edited by msp

You may have to set your video card to display video on the second monitor. That's what I had to do that with mine. There's a bunch of options in the Nvidia control panel that you may want to have a fiddle with.

You wont be able to use component for 1080p :(

Unless you have a HTPC using RGBHV(VGA) analog wont pass HDCP .. you need a fully HDCP enabled video chain for 1080p

Even then, ICT is soon to be come a reality and that 'loophole' will die.

These days, its best to buy only HDCP enabled equipment and stay digital from source to display and whatever is in between - even VPs (video processors) disable their analog outputs if they detect a HDCP enabled source.

Almost forgot: Some video cards will disable 1080p if both displays are active (even over digital!)

Edited by oliverg

thanks for the help guys got it all working now :)

Hi Guys,

I am having a problem with my projector. About a week ago the picture quality when displaying foxtel dropped off dramatically. The picture is now very jumpy and looks like it has a syncing problem. I have tried another foxtel box and it is the same. All the cabling is fine but I discovered it is only when a long cable is used that the problem occurs. I have tried s-video and component and they both have the same problem. Is there a cheap amp I can use that will boost the video signal to fix the problem.(it is only the projector, I have tried a tv at the same point and it is fine)

Thanks.

Russell