Sign in to follow this  
whill09b

Speaker Cable Connection from Vintage Amplifiers

Need some advice connecting speaker cable to vintage amplifiers with older style spring clips -with small holes. I was thinking of using Pin Connectors.

Local Jaycar shop at had only one type and only one colour. Could anyone help with the type they use and and the heaviest speaker cable able to be used.

Cheers

Tony

Yes, it's one of the real downsides of vintage amplifiers. I suspect there's a fairly wide variety of spring clips and other devices such as the "insert and turn" clips on some old Luxman amps as well as propriety plugs and screw down terminals . And there's some variation in the maximum gauge wire accepted.

However, I've generally been surprised in that many seem to accept thicker wire than they look like they will. The biggest problem IMHO is that a lot of the springs have lost their tension and the grip on the wire can be a bit weak. I think a bit of ongoing experimentation is the only way to go......:cool:

Cheers

Tony

Need some advice connecting speaker cable to vintage amplifiers with older style spring clips -with small holes. I was thinking of using Pin Connectors.

Local Jaycar shop at had only one type and only one colour. Could anyone help with the type they use and and the heaviest speaker cable able to be used.

Cheers

Tony

I find those pin connectors problematic, in that some of them do not have shielding on the body and the pin is rigid...meaning that depending on the amp, they might shift and touch one another.

My solution is to either use a lighter guage wire, or use my existing 12AG and just "thin" the last 12mm down...perhaps with a touch of solder to hold it together.

Works well for most of my"older" stuff, like the Luxmans

G'day Tony,

No luck at J Car hey. Regrading the one colour matter you could put a bit of heat shrink over one to identify it.

Another alternative I have seen are the use of banana plugs soldered on backwards so that the pin end is left for making contact with the amp. Bit of a waste of a good banana plug though.

Knowing the amp in question I would say firstly try inserting the bare end of your speaker cable first. Give it a good hard twist to reduce the diameter and create a leading pointy bit and insert it in the same direction s the twist (so it doesn't unravel as you put it in). Alternatively add to this method a bit of solder on a slightly trimmed back cable. Like Tony M says you'd be surprised how big a cable will go into that small hole....this is getting weird now. bye.

Rod.