Confused.....samsung P9 Or Pioneer 508xda Kuro In 50"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate,

The general consensus seems to be that the 508XDA displays a better picture than the P9 even with a Full HD source despite being 720p.

It's a great example that resolution is only a fraction of the equation (and yes I do have a 1080p TV but acknowledge this).

Also it's hard to go wrong with the new price.

Good Luck!

Hey mate,

The general consensus seems to be that the 508XDA displays a better picture than the P9 even with a Full HD source despite being 720p.

It's a great example that resolution is only a fraction of the equation (and yes I do have a 1080p TV but acknowledge this).

Also it's hard to go wrong with the new price.

Good Luck!

Thanks.

I mainly watch foxtel and free to air with usual DVD viewing on the weekend.

i was leaning towards the P9 cause i can get a free 26" but looks like thats over today.

This is a decision I have been thinking about also, after buying the P9 2 weeks ago and no sign of delivery as yet. As I will be viewing alot of Foxtel I went around places to see the two TVs set up with SD signal. I was actually pretty impressed with the P9 showing SD and actually thought it looked a bit better than the XDA at my mates house. So at the mo I'm sticking with the Samsing because of 26inch LCD and the fact it is approx $600 cheaper. But in the back of my mind I'm thinking is the Pioneer my calling!!

I I dont get my TV by say mid March .. it could be a different ball game

This is a decision I have been thinking about also, after buying the P9 2 weeks ago and no sign of delivery as yet. As I will be viewing alot of Foxtel I went around places to see the two TVs set up with SD signal. I was actually pretty impressed with the P9 showing SD and actually thought it looked a bit better than the XDA at my mates house. So at the mo I'm sticking with the Samsing because of 26inch LCD and the fact it is approx $600 cheaper. But in the back of my mind I'm thinking is the Pioneer my calling!!

I I dont get my TV by say mid March .. it could be a different ball game

Why would you watch SD when HD is available, I have one of these, and I only watch HD, you WON'T be disappointed!.

I waited eight WEEKS, and I don't regret it!.

Edited by colindale

I don't blame you for being confused. P9 owners will swear by their TVs and so will 508XDA owners. I don't blame either of them because both TVs are outstanding especially at their killer price points.

I don't have personal experience with either TV (being a Sony LCD man myself) but have spent countless hours trawling through these forums as well as UK and US ones. Those who are unbiased seem to lean towards the 508XDA - just my $0.02.

If still unsure you could go down PominSydney's path - secure yourself a P9 with the free 26" since the offer expires today. Since delivery isn't immediate you can then spend the next week arming yourself with knowledge through these forums and checking them out personally.

Again, good luck!

Why would you watch SD when HD is available, I have one of these, and I only watch HD, you WON'T be disappointed!.

He was testing SD PQ because he will be watching via his Foxtel unit which is at best SD

Granted FTA HD is far superior PQ, and I too very rarely watch the SD channels, but it's gotta be fit for purpose - watching Foxtel

(ekkieTHUMP @ Feb 29 2008, 11:48 AM)

I saw the 2 running side by side at JB last Sunday with the same 1080p demo loop.The Pio blew it away,the difference was staggering.

I know it is all a matter if opinion, but I can't see the staggering difference (maybe I've got bad eyes) .. they are both great TVs ... I think this forum is great for getting people's thoughts and finding out about prices, but at the end of the day the best piece of advice I could give about people thinking of buying a TV, go out and look at all the various TVs and try them with different signals, and let your eyes decide what's best (taking into account how much you value warranty etc etc)

For me I will still be watching plenty of SD because of the Foxtel channels I watch. And even when Foxtel does go HD that will only be a small number of channels unfortunately (much like Sky in the UK)

I'm in the same boat and am I'm considering either the 50" P9, the Pio 508 or Pan PZ and need some guidance.

I'll be using it for predominantly PS3 gaming (40%) together with watching dvd's (30%) and Foxtel (20%) and the remainder council tv. I know that i should look at the screens side by side in a shop but obviously i don't know what they all look like with each of the above feeds - can anyone give the pro's and cons

Am not interested in free tv's or price differences of ~ $1k just want the best tv for the job

Cheers

Edited by tooncam

There is nothing, and I will repeat that, NOTHING that comes close to a well configured Pioneer panel, regardless of whether the panel is full-HD or not.

Get a Pio and you simply cannot go wrong. The current pricing of the 508XDA makes it a steal and the only panel that makes it look inferior is Pioneer's own LX508 1080p panel.

i am also confused, as a novice here. my first big screen plasma. im in the market for a Plasma, impressed with the pioneer 508XDA Kuro but am told i should be buying a HD model can someone please set me straight on this .. i would greatly appreciate some advice.

I have posted this reply elsewhere in the forum, but I hope that it will prove helpful on this thread.

I have only commented on picture quality relative to value for money, not warranty or service issues etc.

I think that personal auditions are much more valuable than simply accepting the word of others, especially if you can test relevant panels side by side using the same signal source.

Before I even looked at this forum I did several side by side comparisons between the "Full HD" 1920 x 1080P Samsung PS50P91FDX,

"HD Ready" 1365 x 768P Pioneer PDP-508XDA, "Full HD" 1920 x 1080P Panasonic TH-50PZ700A and

"HD" 1920 x 1080i Hitachi P50X01 50 inch plasma panels. The source was usually either 7HD or 10HD(1920 x 1080i) free to air TV.

Technically, the Pioneer was at a disadvantage due to having half the pixel count, but its RRP was actually the highest so I felt that the comparison was fair.

Many people complain that some "Full HD" flat panels perform badly with the most commonly used medium ie; free to air TV, so this test was quite relevant.

I was very impressed with both the Pioneer and Samsung panels which left the others in their wake.

Very close viewing revealed that the Samsung had greater detail, with a sharper picture and less "video noise" than the Pioneer. It was very difficult to differentiate black levels between the two, but the Pioneer definitely revealed more "shadow detail" with the darkest images.

Taking costs into account, I recommended the Samsung PS50P91FDX to all my friends.

Two of them have since purchased this panel and both are extremely happy with it, as each one has performed flawlessly.

No, I don't have any association with Samsung, and I don't even own one of these panels.

Of course, you should test competing panels for yourself, as you may disagree with my opinion.

From a quality perspective, I would go the Pioneer, I returned 3 new samsung's before I settled on the pioneer. Today my mate just got his replacment for his faulty brand new samsung Q91and it sucks too. "Stand is on a lean sideways, front panel scratched and pic pretty average". I guessing it will go back also.

For my 2 cents Get the pioneer, and get the Pioneer installer to deliver and install it. Can't go past the 5 year warranty.

FWIW, my dad has a samsung 42" plasma and he is happy with it. (Read hasnt broken yet)

G'day morry01,

I suggest going to a store that has both on display. The plug in a DVD player and take your favourite DVDs along to see which panel is more pleasing to your eyes. Also ask for FTA TV to be shown to you and then make your final decision.

I love both the pioneer kuro and the samsung p9..

The Pioneer is a truelly fantastic panal.You cannot beat it.

BUT!

I dont think its worth the extra 2 gorillas .Kuro 5200 fitted against around 3000 for the P9(self installed).Even if i got a professional to come and calibrate the set say for 500 i'm still in front by 1500 and the panal is at its best!

With my eyes(i ain't no expert) but the difference ain't worth that money.

I do like the samsung look better than Pioneer's.

But like everyone here, you have to go and have a look at them.You eyes and your pocket will tell you whats best for you.

I have noticed in my travels i have not seen a "Bad" kuro.I have seen some samsungs not tuned properly.( now being somewhat sceptical I think they make the kuros look better than anything else so they make more $$$, but i have no proof).

Cant wait till may when the new samsung panels come in(some people have been told this) and finally i can buy a 50 incher!!!!!

mixo

Unfortunately comparing displays side by side in a showroom is generally pointless, unless you never intend to adjust the default settings or view in a dim or dark environment. Displays need to be calibrated for optimum performance before any comparison is valid and the viewing distance and ambient light levels must be representative of what you will use in your home.

At default settings the Samsungs have excessive colour saturation and sharpening, as well as that nasty DNEi video processing that is better off disabled.

The Pioneers have excessive colour saturation and a Gamma curve that is too low, which contributes to the Pioneers dark look.

Overall colour performance is adjustable and most sets can be made to look almost identical for colour after calibration.

The big advantage the Pioneer has is black level (especially the LX), which is probably the single most important factor in display performance for anyone who intends to view with the lights dimmed. After calibration, other aspects of performance will be very similar.

Resolution is well down the list of importance and at typical viewing distances is irrelevant, even with the very best HD source. In your home you will never find resolution lacking unless you sit VERY close to the screen, so choosing a display based on a notional resolution advantage is foolish in deed.

I don’t own a flat panel TV and have no desire to, however I do view a 70” 1080p display from 3 meters or less, where resolution DOES make a difference.

I love both the pioneer kuro and the samsung p9..

The Pioneer is a truelly fantastic panal.You cannot beat it.

BUT!

I dont think its worth the extra 2 gorillas .Kuro 5200 fitted against around 3000 for the P9(self installed).Even if i got a professional to come and calibrate the set say for 500 i'm still in front by 1500 and the panal is at its best!

mixo

50"XDA Kuro now down to $3,200or less (advertised price at Clive Peeters Auburn $3,288 this weekend) including 5 year warranty and delivery so i guess that changes the equation in its favour big style