Sign in to follow this  
matturn

Dvb-s Computer Cards Still Working?

yeah, was one of the first things I did, added the transponder that they say carries those channels, the channels don't show up.

Be careful though, there are some channels that appear twice on different transponders.

do you receive all the austar channels? I have a TWINHAN 1034 SAT CI PCI CARD and a IRDETO VERSION 2.21A CAM, twinhans software doesn't pick up all channels by default, I added a couple of transponders(?) to it and it found a few more but it can't find HistChn, Discovery, NatGeo or FoxSports 3. Mediaportal's tv server can't find the channels either.

Yes, I receive all the channels. It sounds like the .ini file with the transponder list that came with your software is inaccurate. All the channels you've mentioned I receive perfectly from the 12358MHz transponder so I suspect your software either doesn't list it or doesn't have the correct symbol rate (27800) associated with that transponder. I've generated my own .ini file with the following details for Optus C1 (from Lyngsat info) which I either import into my software before doing a scan for the first time:

[sATTYPE]

1=1560

2=Optus C1

[DVB]

0=21

21=12288,V,28650,12

1=12324,V,24450,12

2=12367,V,27800,34

3=12407,V,30000,23

4=12447,V,27800,34

5=12487,V,27800,34

6=12527,V,30000,23

7=12567,V,27800,34

8=12607,V,27800,34

9=12647,V,27800,34

10=12720,V,27800,23

11=12305,H,30000,34

12=12358,H,27800,34

13=12398,H,27800,34

14=12438,H,27800,34

15=12478,H,27800,34

16=12518,H,27800,34

17=12558,H,27800,34

18=12598,H,27800,34

19=12638,H,27800,34

20=12688,H,27800,34

Be careful though, there are some channels that appear twice on different transponders.

Yes, some channels have both Irdeto and NDS encryption for use by Austar and some channels only have NDS encryption for use by Foxtel only. MyTheatre and other software shows which encryption is used for each channel so it's easy to work out which one to use and delete the other channel.

In this case though all those unviewable channels are the Austar versions on one transponder which may be set in the default software to use the old 29473? or 30000 symbol rate rather than the current 27800. If the symbol rate isn't set correctly it can't decode even though the signal strength shows the signal is there.

* Wrong DVB-S CI card?

Twinhan sat cards are crap. I bought one from DigitalNow only to find that it wouldn't work in my only PCI slot in my Shuttle PC since it seemed to have a IRQ assignment that couldn't be resolved. With no resolution I sold it on ebay at a loss.

Recently I purchased a new PC with 3 PCI slots available and thought I might go for an internal card over the external FireDTV sat tuner, so I purchased another Twinhan sat card. Surprise surprise it won't work on my Vista 64 bit system no matter what I tried so I ended up selling it on ebay again.....

Do you think I'll ever recommend another piece of s**t Twinhan device again? No.

I've had a FireDTV external sat tuner for many years now and it's faultless. No PCI bus contention that can cause glitches. I've also just purchased the FloppyDTV DVB-S2 receiver for internal use in preparation for HD broadcasts on Optus C1 by Foxtel/Austar which won't be viewable using standard DVB-S cards, however I'll have to wait till MyTheatre is upgraded to support DVB-S2 cards before I stop using the existing FireDTV DVB-S tuner for scheduled recordings. Other software like DVBViewer and the customised version 'FireDTV Viewer' that comes with the card work fine with the DVB-S2 card.

* Wrong CAM?

Yes, definitely. The only glitch free CAM I know of that works with Austar cards are the freeCammed Irdeto's. They are more expensive but they work. Enough said.

* Wrong softcell in CAM?

See above

* Wrong smartcard?

No, any Austar card will work fine in a freecammed Irdeto Cam.

* Dodgy Twinhan software and I should get something else (like MyTheatre)?

Twinhan software is an absolute pathetic pile of crap. I prefer MyTheatre since I can use exactly the same software and interface that I use for FTA TV as I do for Austar. I regularly have one MyTheatre window open for Austar and another 3 open for viewing different FTA channels, each with a 1GB ram buffer for timeshifting so if I miss something I can go back and view or record it. (I prefer applications that use a RAM based timeshifting buffer rather than disk based to avoid constantly thrashing the hard drive).

It's all easy to do with the command line cardN profiles with MyTheatre that allows different shortcut icons to use different cards.

im glad I stumbled across this!

If anyone could oblige a sat newbie with some basic questions?

AIM: get setanta sports on my media center setup. (without foxtel/austar subsc) >>they have a service which can come out and do a setanta only installation. These are factors which prevent me getting Foxtel/Austar

*Austar doesnt service my area apparently

*Foxtel does, but IQ is insufficient to handle the volume of recording I want to do, plus I dont want to go on a longer term contract. Getting Foxtel into media center is possible with an analogue card, but its a painful process, with loss of quality along teh way. Of course Foxtel also has NDS, so ripping out one of their cards is pointless?!

*I dont having just setanta on, if I had other channel packages on, the family would usurp the TV! I wanna watch the footie(soccer) dammit!!

From their site >> Setanta Oz is on optus b3 12564 H 30000 Irdeto 2

QUERIES:

1. Does setanta Oz have videoguard/nds ontop of the irdeto2. I know its probably on lyngsat but I could only find the C1 listing(that obviously foxtel uses). Lyngsat is a bit of a labyrinthe for the newcomer :(

1. I used to have a foxtel installation, the dish is still there > I know foxtel is optus c1 > theres no way of making it B3 happy?? It'd save me $$$ !

2. How does one extricate the card from the box I will get ? Setanta actually does sell the cards on their own, what is a suitable STB that will save me paying them $220 for one!!

@DavMel >> assuming setanta oz on B3 doesnt have nds >> Id like to use a firetv box/card to get it into MCE as they seem mce optimised...

3. You mention the Freecamed Irdeto 2.06 CAM >> where did you get this :) DO you think it will be OK with setanta or can I use another irdeto CAM??

4. I was hoping to use it in a vistax86 based pc(also a shuttle) which currently has a dual dvbt card in it(for use within windows media center) >> will the firetv unit/internal card interfere with this??

thank you very much in advance!!

Ive been mce-ing for years, but am very much a rookie with this sat biz!

cheers

astro

Edited by Astrotoy7

From their site >> Setanta Oz is on optus b3 12564 H 30000 Irdeto 2

QUERIES:

1. Does setanta Oz have videoguard/nds ontop of the irdeto2. I know its probably on lyngsat but I could only find the C1 listing(that obviously foxtel uses). Lyngsat is a bit of a labyrinthe for the newcomer :(

1. I used to have a foxtel installation, the dish is still there > I know foxtel is optus c1 > theres no way of making it B3 happy?? It'd save me $$$ !

2. How does one extricate the card from the box I will get ? Setanta actually does sell the cards on their own, what is a suitable STB that will save me paying them $220 for one!!

@DavMel >> assuming setanta oz on B3 doesnt have nds >> Id like to use a firetv box/card to get it into MCE as they seem mce optimised...

3. You mention the Freecamed Irdeto 2.06 CAM >> where did you get this :) DO you think it will be OK with setanta or can I use another irdeto CAM??

4. I was hoping to use it in a vistax86 based pc(also a shuttle) which currently has a dual dvbt card in it(for use within windows media center) >> will the firetv unit/internal card interfere with this??

thank you very much in advance!!

1a. Setanta on Optus D2 is only Irdeto

1b. Yes you can make it D2 happy. You need to move the dish by 4 degrees. check this http://www.sciteq.com.au/store/page.php?page=calculators

2. Any Irdeto certified receivers. there are boxes that emulate Irdeto but occasionally play up with new 5.3 irdeto cards. Arion 3030 is a good one and cost 100 dollars.

3. if you are planning to record it with a PC get a PC card that supports Irdeto CAM, emulators will not work well. any CI irdeto cam will do with a legit card.

ebay is your friend.

4. don't know

5. Setanta picture quality is crap no matter what you use!!!!

thanks patella :) I know setanta is SD at best! But its soccer, not the latest star wars movie in 5.1, so not a huge issue atm ;)

Between here and austech. ive sorted things out >> all i need to do is get a capable receiver/box,a subscription card, and tune to D2. Im looking at the homecast s8000CI PVR at this stage, as I want to record a little(archiving not a huge issue)

@pheggie >> we seem to be crossing paths a bit ;)

looking at DavMels post, his unit is an external version of an firedtv pci/pcie/fw card .... Im not sure about nds restrictions on austar and how that is affected w pc SETUP, Id say youd need to look into the progDVB/My Theatre apps for a bit more info

good luck

astro

Edited by Astrotoy7