Here Is My Little Setup

Guest JohnA

Still have a hell of alot of work to do in the room, like new subs, curtains, paint walls and ceiling and room treatments, but it is coming along slowly but surely

Equipment list for those that don't know

Front speakers: B&W 703

Centre speaker: B&W 703

side speakers B&W 705

rear speakers B&W 705

Sub B&W ASW750 to be updated soon

AMPS: Elektra reference, Elektra Theatre

PRE AMP 2 channel: Elektra pre-amp

PRE AMP HT: Rotel 1098

Projector: Sanyo Z4

Screen: 100" fixed 2.37:1

Others: a few berhinger goodies

front of the room

rear and side speakers left and right

recliners

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff John, you must be very happy.

Very proffessional set up you have there.

I'm sure many of us are jelous over the 3 matching front speakers.

I really like those comfy looking recliners. Each seat has got 2 cup holders. One for a beer and one for a scotch :)

I gotta get some of them.

i tell you what, all the headaches to get that single 703 to have matching speakers up front was well worth it.

I can highly recommend it to anyone who is able to do this.

Thanks for the kind words guys, yes luckydog, having 2 cup holders is good, i actualy sit the remote in one and my drink in the other, but hey your idea is also great. :)

How inadequate do I feel right now about my system. WOW! that is beautiful JohnA. thanks for sharing.

[/b]

thank you Grumpy

and no need to feel inadequate, trust me, compared to some of the other systems some of the regulars here have, mine feels like its in need for some major upgrades

and no need to feel inadequate, trust me, compared to some of the other systems some of the regulars here have, mine feels like its in need for some major upgrades

[/b]

It's all relative isn't it?

I would be very happy man to acheive your setup (compared to mine), but if I got there I just know I would want something else. So does my wife... :)

The only constraint IS money.

I bet your's sounds fantastic. I do like the minimalistic approach.

G

It's all relative isn't it?

The only constraint IS money.

[/b]

Yeah, maybe......but, with speakers in particular, I reckon another big constraint is knowing what's going to sound the best in your own rooom with your own gear. Big, heavy floorstanders are very difficult to audition at home prior to purchase, either individually or in a comparison. It's even worse with awkward, non-standard room shapes and furnishing/placement constraints due to not having a dedicated listening room. :)

Still, it makes it more of a challenge to find components that just sound "right" when you get them home and set up......and more rewarding when that's achieved.

i tell you what, all the headaches to get that single 703 to have matching speakers up front was well worth it.

I can highly recommend it to anyone who is able to do this.

Thanks for the kind words guys, yes luckydog, having 2 cup holders is good, i actualy sit the remote in one and my drink in the other, but hey your idea is also great. :)

[/b]

Hey John the room and system look great.I do the same thing with my remote , very 'Star Trek' :biggrin:

Gordon

Hey John the room and system look great.I do the same thing with my remote , very 'Star Trek' :biggrin:

I see you are using the Cyber 222 pre , how do you integrate the stereo and ht side of things in terms of switching and control?

Gordon

[/b]

Guest alebonau

I'll second Gordon's question. How are you integrating the 2ch and ht systems together?

[/b]

he physically switched leads last time we were there. while we were there last time he was talking about using the behringer mixer unit so not sure if has got that happenign or not.

he physically switched leads last time we were there. while we were there last time he was talking about using the behringer mixer unit so not sure if has got that happenign or not.

[/b]

I would have thought using the the behringers would lead to a significant drop in transparency and overall quality.

Gordon

Still have a hell of alot of work to do in the room, like new subs, curtains, paint walls and ceiling and room treatments, but it is coming along slowly but surely

Equipment list for those that don't know

Front speakers: B&W 703

Centre speaker: B&W 703

side speakers B&W 705

rear speakers B&W 705

Sub B&W ASW750 to be updated soon

AMPS: Elektra reference, Elektra Theatre

PRE AMP 2 channel: Consonance cyber222

PRE AMP HT: Rotel 1098

Projector: Sanyo Z4

Screen: 100" fixed 2.37:1

Others: a few berhinger goodies

front of the room

post-698-133211653342_thumb.jpg post-698-133211653351_thumb.jpg

rear and side speakers left and right

post-2128-133211653378_thumb.jpg post-943-133211653382_thumb.jpg

recliners

post-2128-133211653368_thumb.jpg

[/b]

You're the big B&W fan huh!! :ohmy:

Great home theater setup, JohnA. :)

Looks great sounds even better!

The front soundstage in multi-channel is absolutely seamless as one would expect (but is still surprising).

Brilliant setup John, congratulations.

Thanks for all the kind words

mondie: Unfortunately there is a huge window (double sliding door on the left side close to the front speakers and goes accross most of the wall.

But all in all the sound is alot nicer then in the old room, different carpet, the couches, slightly larger room and higher ceilings. Still playing around with speaker positioning though.

KeithL and Gordon. Yes at the moment i am just swapping speaker cables over, but will place the behringer mixer inline, if i find it takes away from the sound, it will be removed quick smart and i'll do it another way which will require me to set reference level on my 2 channel preamp, and hopefully not forget about it when switching sources.

hired goon: Yes that is the sub, its actualy on 2 stands to take the weight. Found having it off the floor reduced some of its boominess and fixed a few other issues. Still experimenting and taking measurements, so long way off untill its 100% finished and setup

• 3 weeks later...

just a quick little update.

Have got the velour on the front wall top and bottom of screen and have ordered the curtains for the rest of the room also. The curtains are also black velour and will do the side masking for 16:9 movies

Another 3-4 weeks and they should be in, then i can concentrate on some room treatments and painting the ceiling