Optiwerx Screen On Ebay From Blu-tec

Has anyone got one of these?

I've just got one on the way,it's the 120" Matt white motorised version.

I'm mainly worried about screen ripples,as my Draper Luma 100" pull down has a few after several years of use.

I'd like a fixed screen,but my loungeroom just won't allow it.My screen pulls down in front of my Sony Bravia XBR 52" for even bigger screen viewing.

With the amount of these screens being sold,surely someone on here must have one or know someone who does.

Please give your opinions either good or bad.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its the one I'm thinking of, its average quality.

Some of those eBay sellers are very clever with their wording. They sell junky 4:3 screens but claim "16:9 capable"... its a bit like saying a 16:9 screen is 'scope capable.

There are quite a few people selling 4:3 junky screens and making them out to be "HD certified" (by whom?)

I bought some from Dream for $20-50 - 92" matte white 1.1 gain and they were really not bad. Ended up giving some away.

There are some good screen sellers on eBay, but there is also some really dodgy ones too.

If its the one I'm thinking of, its average quality.

Some of those eBay sellers are very clever with their wording. They sell junky 4:3 screens but claim "16:9 capable"... its a bit like saying a 16:9 screen is 'scope capable.

There are quite a few people selling 4:3 junky screens and making them out to be "HD certified" (by whom?)

I bought some from Dream for $20-50 - 92" matte white 1.1 gain and they were really not bad. Ended up giving some away.

There are some good screen sellers on eBay, but there is also some really dodgy ones too.

Thanks for the reply,here's a link to the screen http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-120-Electric-CI...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm using a 100" 4:3 screen at the moment with my NEC HT1100,and it's fine for 16:9 viewing.I figured if I wanted to make it a true 16:9 screen I could just paint a border on the top of the screen.

For $160 I thought it would be worth a go anyway,it's not much to pay for a motorised screen.

I was looking at a motorised Morgan and it was well over $2000.

If I had a cutting edge new projector I would spend more on a screen,but the old NEC HT1100 still puts out an amazing image so i'll hang onto it for a while yet.

I know what you mean about their wording in their auctions,things like 1080p, Blu-ray Disc compatible and HD certified,but they're the buzz words atm so why not use them?

I can't believe the amount of people still buying crappy glass beaded screens on ebay.At least they're only going cheap these days,most people have woken up to them.

This is a timely thread as I also saw that screen and the larger one at 150" !!! And the reason I am looking at screens is because I am about to pull the trigger on an EPSON TW2000 projector.

Now, there is plenty of advice to size the screen to the output of the projector but being new at this, not quite sure what that is, although the specs at the mentioned link have this -

SCREEN SIZE (PROJECTED DISTANCE)

30 to 300 inch (0.87m to 9.03m) (Wide)

30 to 300 inch (1.88m to 19.15m) (Tele)

So does that mean I can run up to a 300" screen if the projector is 9.03 meters away and 2/3 that size (200") at 6 meters?

Along with that, there seems to be plenty of advice of which screen not to buy but not much in the lines of what to buy. There is a brick wall available for mounting, which I am leaning towards right now, (not the wall ! a fixed type of screen) or the ceiling for a motorized screen (not critical)

Here are some measurements to calculate with, the room is 6.5 m long by 4.5 m wide with a rather low ceiling height of 2.35 (from memory as I am not at home right now) Any suggestions, taking the above projector and room size into consideration will be much appreciated, thanks, John

PS - I also intend to contact OZ Theatre Screens for their advice.

Edited by The_Snowman

IMHO I would think along these lines ...

Some people start with 4:3 .. Most with 16:9. People that have 4:3 screens seem to move to 16:9

Most people that have been into this hobby for quite some time seem to consistently evolve into cinemascope screens.

The people that go cinemascope are always extremely happy with that choice - I know of no-one that has gone backwards.

Skip the 4:3 and 16:9 steps and go straight to cinemascope. Watching 1.85/1.78:1 on a 2.40:1 screen is not as much of a compromise as watching 16:9 on a 4:3 or 2:35/2:40 on a 16:9 screen.

Just my thoughts :)

Has anyone got one of these?

I've just got one on the way,it's the 120" Matt white motorised version.

I'm mainly worried about screen ripples,as my Draper Luma 100" pull down has a few after several years of use.

I'd like a fixed screen,but my loungeroom just won't allow it.My screen pulls down in front of my Sony Bravia XBR 52" for even bigger screen viewing.

With the amount of these screens being sold,surely someone on here must have one or know someone who does.

Please give your opinions either good or bad.

Let us know how you go with your new screen!

I was thinking of getting one myself...........would be sweet to see the screen come down with a push of a button!

Let us know how you go with your new screen!

I was thinking of getting one myself...........would be sweet to see the screen come down with a push of a button!

The screen turned up today,I unpacked it and set it up.The first thing I noticed was the dreaded "V" ripples.

The picture quality is really good on it though,better than my Draper Luma screen.

I'm going to contact the seller and see if they can get me another screen that doesn't have the V ripples.

The motor action seems to work really good and everything else seems fine it's just the ripples that bother me.

The only time I notice the ripples is when straight lines are shown or panning camera.

The screen appears to be puckered in the lower centre,so maybe thats causing the ripples.

I'll let you know how I get on,I just hope their after sales service is good.

Just as a follow up if anyones interested,they contacted me today to say that they'll replace the screen with one that they'll check before they send.

One thing I found out that wasn't in the instructions,was that you can set the height of the screen with 2 screws.One screw controls the lowered height,the other the closed height.I found this very handy as I can just hit the up or down button on the remote and it stops exactly where you want it,too easy!

If it wasn't for the ripples,this screen would be perfect.Hopefully the new one is spot on.

I'll update this when I get the new screen fitted and tested.I might even try to get some pictures up if anyone is interested.

Just as a follow up if anyones interested,they contacted me today to say that they'll replace the screen with one that they'll check before they send.

One thing I found out that wasn't in the instructions,was that you can set the height of the screen with 2 screws.One screw controls the lowered height,the other the closed height.I found this very handy as I can just hit the up or down button on the remote and it stops exactly where you want it,too easy!

If it wasn't for the ripples,this screen would be perfect.Hopefully the new one is spot on.

I'll update this when I get the new screen fitted and tested.I might even try to get some pictures up if anyone is interested.

i'd be interested in pictures if you get the time.. i think i'm about done waiting for 16:9 cinescope screens to become available. let us know how you go :D

i'd be interested in pictures if you get the time.. i think i'm about done waiting for 16:9 cinescope screens to become available. let us know how you go :D

Useless Toll Ipec still have not delivered the screen despite it being in their Sydney depot last Wednesday! It should be here tomorrow.

I'm on holidays for 2 weeks so I should be able to find time to post up some pics :) .

I'm not having much luck with this.The new screen lowered OK appeared to have no ripples,but would not go back up.

Now I have another one on the way,if this one has problems I don't know what i'll do.

When I bought my 52" XBR Bravia LCD,it took me 3 goes to get one that was good.

The first one wouldn't even turn on,the second had heaps of dead pixels and the third one was perfect.

I just hope the term "third time lucky" is true again with this screen like it was with my XBR :) .

I can't believe my bad luck lately with buying home theatre gear.

^^^ haha mate it happens to everyone !!! i had a top of the wazza Sony stereo VCR back in the day, about $1000 worth and it f*cked up no less than 4 times, the 1st time within the 1st 3 months in warranty and the second time 1 month out of warranty, then twice more 6 months apart... all the same problem and was sent off each time for about 8 weeks... f*cken POS !!!!!! I prolly had maybe 8 months of use before i threw it off a cliff into the tip..

back on topic, i ended up buyin a 100" motorised screen off AIM digitals ebay shop - said on the ad it was the same ones they sell for like $1000 RRP which i highly doubt after seeing the build quality and the Engrish instructions... BUT I paid much less than 10% of the RRP though so im very satisfied with its bang for my buck... even if it only lasts 12 months im way ahead and i cannot fault the speed of delivery, only took about 2 or 3 working days !!! I will probably spend more on my next screen but this is my 1st PJ etc so I dont need to spend 1000's on the screen just yet

^^^ haha mate it happens to everyone !!! i had a top of the wazza Sony stereo VCR back in the day, about $1000 worth and it f*cked up no less than 4 times, the 1st time within the 1st 3 months in warranty and the second time 1 month out of warranty, then twice more 6 months apart... all the same problem and was sent off each time for about 8 weeks... f*cken POS !!!!!! I prolly had maybe 8 months of use before i threw it off a cliff into the tip..

back on topic, i ended up buyin a 100" motorised screen off AIM digitals ebay shop - said on the ad it was the same ones they sell for like $1000 RRP which i highly doubt after seeing the build quality and the Engrish instructions... BUT I paid much less than 10% of the RRP though so im very satisfied with its bang for my buck... even if it only lasts 12 months im way ahead and i cannot fault the speed of delivery, only took about 2 or 3 working days !!! I will probably spend more on my next screen but this is my 1st PJ etc so I dont need to spend 1000's on the screen just yet

The RRP of my screen was supposed to be $1799,so mine was less than 10% :)

RRP price means absolutely nothing at all on any item,and should never be used to find somethings worth.

At least you got to use your VCR between break downs,my gear was all buggered from new.

Everything is now going fine (touch wood),but the new screen isn't here yet.

The RRP of my screen was supposed to be $1799,so mine was less than 10% :)

RRP price means absolutely nothing at all on any item,and should never be used to find somethings worth.

At least you got to use your VCR between break downs,my gear was all buggered from new.

Everything is now going fine (touch wood),but the new screen isn't here yet.

heheh yeh i love the RRP guys put on their ebay sites and shopfronts mwahaha.. like $5k for a $1500 street priced projector etc

• 2 months later...

I bought a 150" matt white 'optiwerx' screen from blu tech on eBay and I've been using it with my new Epson tw2000 for about a month now.

Also got a PS3 and running it on 1080p with HDMI. It is the best move I've ever made (for home entertainment anyway).

If you're thinking about dealing with blu tech on eBay, I would recommend them. They had excellent communication and fast delivery.

I'm no expert but the screen looks pretty damn good to me, and I have a friend that sells the higher end equipment who was pretty impressed by the quality for price.

As for 4:3 vs 16:9 etc; I just put the screen all the way down when I'm watching 4:3 and move it up a bit for 16:9. I find it works equally well for either.

If I had bought a 16:9 screen of the same width, then 4:3 viewing would be much smaller...

Anyway hope someone finds this useful.

I bought a 100 inch 4:3 Optiworx matt white screen from the same place. Delivered it cost me about $115. Its been fine to my uneducated eyes and seems quite similar to the screens that are used in my workplace, a private school.

I bought it last year and have had it for about a year. No problems with the screen or the motor driving it up or down. In regards to 4:3 vs 16:9, my projector is a pretty ordinary 4:3 data projector, a hang over from the times I used it as a teacher in a public school. Whenever something plays in 16:9 I just up the screen a bit. No real problem there.

• 3 months later...
I bought a 150" matt white 'optiwerx' screen from blu tech on eBay and I've been using it with my new Epson tw2000 for about a month now.

Also got a PS3 and running it on 1080p with HDMI. It is the best move I've ever made (for home entertainment anyway).

If you're thinking about dealing with blu tech on eBay, I would recommend them. They had excellent communication and fast delivery.

I'm no expert but the screen looks pretty damn good to me, and I have a friend that sells the higher end equipment who was pretty impressed by the quality for price.

As for 4:3 vs 16:9 etc; I just put the screen all the way down when I'm watching 4:3 and move it up a bit for 16:9. I find it works equally well for either.

If I had bought a 16:9 screen of the same width, then 4:3 viewing would be much smaller...

Anyway hope someone finds this useful.

Hi,

thank you for the info about this 150" screen,are you still happy with it?,I am looking to buy it

for my epson tw 700 projector,at the moment just using my creamy color wall about 110" diag,the picture is great

but with the screen I will be able to go over the door to make it bigger.my room is about 6.2m long,projector

mounted on the wall,sitting 5.0 m from the screen.

Cheers