Sign in to follow this  
laurie

Painted Screens

I made a Goo'ed 4 x 3 - 72inch screen using 12mm MDF when the product first came to Australia.

At the time I sprayed the goo and the result was very good.

This was used with a CRT PJ and I guess the gain was around 1.6

I recently made a 16 x 9 - 92inch 12mm MDF screen using some of the left-over paint from about 3 years ago!

Used some skirting board painted matt black for the frame.

Instead of using the base coat then the optical base coat ontop I mixed them together to get less gain.

Will be swapping out the CRT for a brighter Digital PJ.

Also this time I rolled the paint with a foam roller, got a very fine finish finer than most fabric screens.

On both screens I first used ceiling white to give a white base coat to the MDF.

All up the materials (except the goo) cost me about $45.

The good thing with using MDF is at least the screen is flat, I really hate pull down fabric screens they're never flat.

So even though the paint is expensive I've been able to make 2 screens and even might have enough for another!

(This was using CRT white - 1L base coat, 1L top coat)

Tony

The problem I have with a painted screen is should there be a roller or brush mark, chances are, you will see it. I started out with a painted screen, and regardless how many times I painted it, I could not get the surface 100%. Once I was aware of an imperfection, I always tended to "find" it - usually on an actors face...

Mark

I've used a DIY painted screen for the past few years, even though a couple of 'proper' screens have passed through as well. I've not had any problems with marks or uniformity, but painted screens seem to all be significantly less bright than 'proper' screens.

I've used a DIY painted screen for the past few years, even though a couple of 'proper' screens have passed through as well. I've not had any problems with marks or uniformity, but painted screens seem to all be significantly less bright than 'proper' screens.

Flat ceiling white has a negnative gain or gain of 0.8...

Mark

A while back, I remember reading about someone mixing their own paint to emulate Goo - IIRC, the guy at the paint store said Goo wasn't that special and can be copied fairly easily by anyone who is "in the paint know".

Using various ratios of flat white, pearlescent etc the poster managed to knock together something that had all the positives of Goo and cost 1/4 as much.

I'd be very interested in knowing the formula of Goo.. I wonder if anyone has worked out a way of reverse engineering it :)

I must admit, after seeing a Goo (white) based screen, I was impressed at the gain, colour uniformity and colour accuracy. The friend used a CRT projector but had absolutely no idea how to calculate the throw length .. so he set the projecotr up on the floor to work out roughly where it was going to be mounted. Then he just mounted the PJ upside down .. because the whole wall was painted, it didn't matter where the picture landed. He's even got his own CIA 4 way masking system happening.. the masking system cost him less than $400 to make.

Well really its only highly reflective acrylic paint I do remember it does not cause any hot spotting as some screen materials can do it has to do with the way light is reflected back from the screen may look into it and make a test board up [ grey ] and compare it to my existing screen but I will spray it on

cheers laurie