Austar Paying For Tv Commericals Now?

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum.

Am I the only one, or is everyone getting sick of the increase in commercials and infomercials on Austar.

We purchased Austar a few years ago, because it was an ad free product.

Now $90 per month later, we are increasingly bombarded with commericals, that WE PAY FOR but don't want!!???

How do they get away with providing a certain product, and then change it completely to something else??? Isn't that against some law or something??

Can anyone tell me who I direct this complaint to? Surely we should at least get some sort of discount if the product is completely changed?

We moved from "free to air" because of the ads, and now we are paying for them!!!?? I really don't need a "funeral plan"!! :angry: not just yet anyway!!

Am I the only one, or is everyone getting sick of the increase in commercials and infomercials on Austar.

Now $90 per month later, we are increasingly bombarded with commericals, that WE PAY FOR but don't want!!???

How do they get away with providing a certain product, and then change it completely to something else??? Isn't that against some law or something??

Can anyone tell me who I direct this complaint to? Surely we should at least get some sort of discount if the product is completely changed?

We moved from "free to air" because of the ads, and now we are paying for them!!!?? I really don't need a "funeral plan"!! :angry: not just yet anyway!!

I whole heartedly agree with your sentiment. I would start by writing to Austar. I don't know that there product was ever described as commercial free though.

Yes thanks OzyDave I did spin an email off to them last night.

We are seriously thinking of cancelling Austar all together.

I just wondered if anyone knew the governing body that overlooks pay tv? I know when I had a continuing problem with my mobile phone purchased and packaged through Austar after no luck directly with them I contacted a governing body suggested by Choice Magazine. I will have to hunt out the mag where it talks about them.

However, AMAZINGLY ...wasn't the service Oh so much better once I logged a quick complaint via phone with this governing body and got a reference number! I even got given a "special straight through number" to Austar complaints, and they fell over backwards to try and sort the problem. These governing bodies certainly have some power, but I think it would have been a communications ombudsman and my issue with programming may be handled by a different body.

If by a few you mean a decade, then yes, it was ad free. That was a legislated requirement for the first few years and that has long since expired.

Pay TV around the world has ads because it wouldn't survive without them. Especially in such a sparesely populated market like Australia, the revenue base isn't there to provide an ad free service. if it can't be done in densely populated western Europe or North America what makes you think it would suddenly be realistic here? Imagine how much you would be paying if they didn't have ads considering Foxtel as well as Austar have lost hundreds of millions of dollars since commencing operations.

Sorry, but this has been done to death. Foxtel/Austar still provide many more options than FTA and while I don't like ads they are an economic fact of life. I don't think there are any more ads lately there are more annoyingly long infomercials insteasd of the usual promos and regular ads. ACMA would be who you could complain to but they will tell you to get back in your box as no regulations are being broken. Austar don't claim an ad free service so they aren;t decieving anyone and they adhere to the legislated requirements for allowable advertising per hour. Don't like it, cut it off because there is nothing else you can do.

Edited by pepsiscrap

So Pepsiscrap, $90 per month $1080 per year (more than any other household bill) isn't enough from one household to provide what amounts to mostly repeats of old shows without subjecting your customers to further ads? I don't mind the ads for upcoming shows, but sitting through 5-8 minute long infomercials about funeral insurance half way through a documentary on Animal planet is rough.

As I said if I had purchased the product as such, then "buyer beware" but when the terms of what you get for your money (monthly fees have only gone up too) are reduced, that is bordering on unlawful. If you paid $100 a month for your phone, but were only able to use it for 75% of the time, in comparison to 100% when you first purchased it, wouldn't you be miffed??

Who do you work for by the way??

Edited by Leah123

you have to be kidding, i'm sick of the ads what we are payin for its stupid

It's not so much the amount of ads as the type of ads that I am sick of.

My 18 month old daughter has fallen in love with that stupid jamster bunny. If she's in the next room she'll stop what she's doing and listen to it!!

I am soooo sick and tired of all the ringtone, mobile game, "love match" ads. Who buys this crap?

I have to agree with what Pepsiscrap said not that I support what pay-tv do either but think how much you would have to pay for a totally ad free service. More than a $1000.00 a year!

By the way I wish that was my biggest household bill!

They must cheap electricity. Our electricity bill is $400 every three months, Austar is cheap (oh hang on its free, sorry), BUT anyway, much bigger bills than Austar!

I suppose if you can't hack the ads then you can stop your subscription to watch channel 9 etc. Hold the phone, fta has more ads - they're allowed it by legislation. Paytv, fta & radio all have a cap on how many minutes per hour they can give over to advertising, I don't think that includes trailers for their progams,

Paytv movies don't have any adverts and football doesn't have any breaks while games are in progress. I reckon thats pretty good. But now we have the mystar we watch very little live TV, part of the reason is that we can get to fast forward through the ads.

That ringtone ad with the cute -not jamster bunny, yeah it is clearly directed towards kids and perhaps you hadn't noticed many 5 year olds are given mobile phones. Its totally ridiculous situation I know, but the kids want something and many parents just give in to 'em rather than have a scene. A sort of decaying society I fear, but its all legal.

Edited by ozbrit

So in QLD Gold Coast what are your options for something extra other than pay tv? Any suggestions? Who uses what, how much does it cost and what do they think of it?

You can get a SD digital terrestrial box for $50. It won't give you much extra though, unless you have a widescreen TV. All analogue channels in widescreen (except Briz31 that you probably can't receive anyway), plus ABC2, and the non-English language SBS World News Channel. Get a HD box, and there's a few extra shows from Seven, Ten and the ABC, plus Nine in a few months.

You could get a FTA sat system, but that will only get you a few news channels, some Christian channels and channels in languages other than English.

If you don't like Austar, you could try SelecTV. It's pay TV with different packages and less channels.

Buying or hiring DVDs is another legal option.

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose if you can't hack the ads then you can stop your subscription to watch channel 9 etc. Hold the phone, fta has more ads - they're allowed it by legislation. Paytv, fta & radio all have a cap on how many minutes per hour they can give over to advertising, I don't think that includes trailers for their progams,

Paytv movies don't have any adverts and football doesn't have any breaks while games are in progress. I reckon thats pretty good.

I think the fact anyone can buy a tv and plug into a antenna and watch tv for gratis they can accept ads.However when you shell out 60 clams a month to watch it s**ts you that you still get the same crap ads.

I agree with your sentiment that the fact that some shows and most sporting events have no ads in between.Austar has in most instances have a old SBS-style ad system put 10 mins ads before and after a show.

Its totally worth getting Austar for sports fan like me BUT paying for ads is annoying. :angry2:

Eh..really. If the ad's are that much of a deterrent either use a PVR or cancel your subscription. It's really that simple. Rather than blame the Pay TV providers who are merely distributors, blame the content providers who demand ever increasing royalties even for their back catalog. If the cost of content acquisition was half then you may seen a reasonable reduction in commercials/promotions. Foxtel and Austar arent making very much money (Foxtel only just recently posted a year in the black, and that doesnt begin to make up for all their years of continual losses). Some argue they *need* Foxtel for the sport, but television is a luxury; you can live without it.

Really..just use a PVR. You get choice and and no-ads.

It's incredibly annoying to be right into a show and then have it cut off with irritating ads that belong on FTA tv. We pay something like $120 (inc a second box), and for what? ads, ads, ads. I do love my docos and UK soaps, so I am stuck with it :P

This is how wrong it is these days.

With the i-bar, you'd expect the channel to want to display what is currently playing out. Main Event instead, use that space of information not to display what is playing, rather, they'd prefer to display what is coming up. I get so annoyed because I keep thinking "this is on right now" but then find out that it was just another Main Event promo of a future event.

All the channels suck - they have ads, they all compete against FTA to stay alive but also killing themselves. They should find new ways of making money rather than trying to have a cake via payment from carriers and eat it too by having ads play out.

I actually did one of those phone surveys on Friday arvo - I never do them, but this particular one was about Austar so I did.

My gripes:

- The ads (obviously)

- The fact that advertised 'red button' promotions only work on foxtel (ie the young and the restless comp a few weeks back)

- The fact that we are paying for stations we don't watch - fashion tv for example. Who watches that apart from models/designers???

- The fact that austar is always lagging behind foxtel

- the fact that foxtel is somewhat cheaper than austar

- the fact that I keep getting phone calls from austar asking me if i want to connect to their DIALUP. Oh yes, I'll just come down off my 1500 speed broadband :P

There is more but thinking about this makes me annoyed.

Oh, and the inability to get FTA channels on Austar unless you have mystar - doesn't foxtel have all FTA channels whether you have IQ or not?

The practicalities of Austar providing all FTAs for all viewing regions has been discussed at length in other threads. Doing it would require significant use of limited sat capacity and cost Austar two arms and 3 legs (since it is extremely unlikely the networks themselves would pay to do it, since it would cost them two arms and three legs).