'burn Notice' - Super Soft Picture

Not for many months or longer, except by design.

Fair enough, but it's not like ten are holding off 3 episodes to air by them selfs at the end of the year. They will be aired with the second season.

Seven's treatment of Heroes and Ten's treatment of Burn Notice do not mirror the scheduling of those shows in the US. When I show goes on hiatus in the States, generally the show's producers are well aware of the fact that it'll happen and structure their season accordingly.

Pulling Heroes 2 episodes out from what has now turned out to be the season finale was just plain stupid, and denies many fans of the show the chance to see how it concludes for up to a year.

Heroes and burn notice are two completely different shows. Comparing the situations is just stupid.

Good for them. But I would like to see them where they're MEANT to be seen, at the tail end of season 1, continuing story threads that will be left hanging when Ten abandons the show.

The idea of how a show is supposed to be shown is strange. As far as i'm concerned, if the the producers of burn notice didn't want this to happen, they would have included a condition in the contract between them selfs and ten to make sure the series was played without interruptions. On top of that, ten have paid to have the rights to the show. This gives them the right to air the episodes however they wish, and how the show should be aired it dictated by popularity (ie, ratings).

That makes no sense at all. They could have those three weeks of "half decent ratings" right now, THEN start NCIS. Surely these season-ending episodes of Burn Notice will rate better if shown now, when they're not only supposed to be shown but also while the show has an active and loyal viewership?

It makes perfect sense. NCIS is far more popular than burn notice, and playing NCIS now will strengthen the network's ratings. It is fair to assume that the vast majority of people don't download shows, and are either patient enough to wait for the remaining episodes or wouldn't even know that there were three episodes available to be broadcast.

If ten were to play the remaining 3 episodes and fasttrack season 2, you would still have to wait the exact same time as if ten held back 3 episodes until immediately before the second season. My point is, who cares what ten do if they are planning to fasttrack the 2nd season? Even if you download the 3 remaining episodes you will still have to wait the same amount of time for new episodes.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely ignoring that the show wasn't supposed to be stopped now, it was supposed to break at the end of the season and is written that way.

Anyway, all 10 has done is shoot itself in the foot. As has already been pointed out, anyone that was watching the show on 10 and was actually interested in it has probably gone off to BT and downloaded it.... and will probably do so with S2, as well as a lot of other stuff they might find on BT. So in one fell swoop, 10 has guaranteed that a percentage of their viewing population no longer watches 10. Good one. :blink:

Say, minchjp... do you work for 10? :lol:

Fair enough, but it's not like ten are holding off 3 episodes to air by them selfs at the end of the year. They will be aired with the second season.

And they belong with the first season. Otherwise those 3 episodes would have been produced as part of the second season in the US. They don't just stop when they feel like it, you know.

Heroes and burn notice are two completely different shows. Comparing the situations is just stupid.

Why? It's exactly the same situation. EXACTLY the same.

It makes perfect sense. NCIS is far more popular than burn notice, and playing NCIS now will strengthen the network's ratings. It is fair to assume that the vast majority of people don't download shows, and are either patient enough to wait for the remaining episodes or wouldn't even know that there were three episodes available to be broadcast.

All they'd know is that storylines were left hanging and there was no sense of conclusion, something a LOT of people noticed with Heroes.

As for NCIS - so it rates well. Good. Show it once Burn Notice is done. It's only three weeks, and two of those are "non-ratings" anyway.

If ten were to play the remaining 3 episodes and fasttrack season 2, you would still have to wait the exact same time as if ten held back 3 episodes until immediately before the second season. My point is, who cares what ten do if they are planning to fasttrack the 2nd season? Even if you download the 3 remaining episodes you will still have to wait the same amount of time for new episodes.

It's not about how long I or anyone else has to "wait". I'm *happy* to wait precisely where the show's creators intended me to - at THE END OF THE SEASON. Surely that makes sense to you. Surely.

No matter, I'll be going "illegal" for this one and I've already got friends asking if I've got copies.

Say, minchjp... do you work for 10? :lol:

I was wondering that myself ;)

And they belong with the first season. Otherwise those 3 episodes would have been produced as part of the second season in the US. They don't just stop when they feel like it, you know.

No sh*t, but ten can stop showing them when they feel, and they obviously felt that there is an advantage to ending the first season 3 episodes short of when it airs in America.

Why? It's exactly the same situation. EXACTLY the same.

It's not. Heroes is like desperate housewives and 24, you have to watch the previous episodes to understand the current one. Burn notice has more of a smaller arc, where each episode can stand out on it's own. They are two different styles of shows. Heroes would suffer if it was cut short by 3 episodes, burn notice wouldn't suffer nearly as much.

All they'd know is that storylines were left hanging and there was no sense of conclusion, something a LOT of people noticed with Heroes.
True for heroes, not so for burn notice
As for NCIS - so it rates well. Good. Show it once Burn Notice is done. It's only three weeks, and two of those are "non-ratings" anyway.

Easter non-ratings is a very good way to launch a show. Rove last year is a perfect example of that.

It's not about how long I or anyone else has to "wait". I'm *happy* to wait precisely where the show's creators intended me to - at THE END OF THE SEASON. Surely that makes sense to you. Surely.

No need to shout. Ten have paid for the rights to air the show, therefore they can decide when the first season ends. They have to put the needs of the network above the wants of some creators of a low budget American basic cable show.

No matter, I'll be going "illegal" for this one and I've already got friends asking if I've got copies.

Good for you. I just hope you remember the creators intentions (to get paid) when you watch it illegally.

PS, i don't work for ten, but my brother does. If you every get a chance to read some complaints that viewers send in, do it. You'll piss yourself.

Edited by minchjp

They get paid; who are you kidding?

they don't get paid as much as they should due to people downloading their shows illegally.

Save the sermons for the networks who show little to no respect for their viewers.

What the hell are you talking about? Sermon? I find it ironic that Neon Kitten is talking about respect for the creators of the shows while he downloads their show illegally, giving them no compensation for their hard work. It's not a sermon, it's me pointing out a highly hypocritical argument he is putting forward.

What the hell are you talking about? Sermon? I find it ironic that Neon Kitten is talking about respect for the creators of the shows while he downloads their show illegally, giving them no compensation for their hard work. It's not a sermon, it's me pointing out a highly hypocritical argument he is putting forward.

You're quite full of it, aren't you?

If I watch Burn Notice on Ten, I record it on the PVR and watch it later, skipping the ads.

If I download it, I don't see any ads either.

Regardless, no money changes hands, nobody gets paid any less, and ratings are not affected since I am not eligible to have a ratings meter. So nobody loses.

Keep your Ten-affiliated high-horse "morals" to yourself.

They screw me? I screw them back. The power is now in the hands of the viewers, and networks are going to either have to do better at looking after their viewers or else, well, suck it up.

You're quite full of it, aren't you?

If I watch Burn Notice on Ten, I record it on the PVR and watch it later, skipping the ads.

If I download it, I don't see any ads either.

Regardless, no money changes hands, nobody gets paid any less, and ratings are not affected since I am not eligible to have a ratings meter. So nobody loses.

Keep your Ten-affiliated high-horse "morals" to yourself.

They screw me? I screw them back. The power is now in the hands of the viewers, and networks are going to either have to do better at looking after their viewers or else, well, suck it up.

Exactly the way I see it too,if the FTA 's can't treat us like intelligent beings and keep screwing us by not giving us the complete product even though we put up with ads,downloading is my prefered choice in this day and age.

PVR's isn't anything different,we watch it when and how and where we want to

The show looked okay tonight. Some of the scenes were super soft, intentionally. Not a real sharp image overall, but the quality of writing is always more important for me than the picture detail :)

I just wish they'd fatten up Gabrielle Anwar a bit. The visible rib cage isn't a healthy look (at least, not to me).

No need to shout. Ten have paid for the rights to air the show, therefore they can decide when the first season ends. They have to put the needs of the network above the wants of some creators of a low budget American basic cable show.

It's not just the needs of the show's creators. It's an insult to the viewers.

As someone who "may very well" work for Ten from time to time, I believe it is a bad decision. I've also already previewed the first series of Burn Notice and it ends on a cliffhanger. For that cliffhanger to be episode three of the second season doesn't do it justice. It is not meant to be just a normal episode ending, just as episode nine wasn't intended as a season finale.

What the FTA networks are doing is diminishing their product and increasing their audiences awareness of Bit Torrents. This whole "Fast Tracked" route is a double edged sword to begin with.

The show looked okay tonight. Some of the scenes were super soft, intentionally.

It's definitely not a creative decision. The film transfer has been done at a low resolution and upscaled to HD for post-production, and it looks terribe.

But as you correctly said, the quality of the show makes up for it.

As for Gabrielle Anwar, no argument there. There's still a hint of the gorgeous woman she used to be, but it's hard to see it past those botoxed lips :lol:

~

As for Gabrielle Anwar, no argument there. There's still a hint of the gorgeous woman she used to be, but it's hard to see it past those botoxed lips :lol:

I made the same observation to Mrs MM and was corrected. It's botox for the lines around the eyes, and collagen for the lips. ;):P

Back on topic - we watched Burn Notice right to the end of season 1, which ended about 5 weeks or so ago over here on Freeview DTV FTA. The comments about it being a cliffhanger are dead spot on. For channel 10 to discontinue this show where they have, is bloody ridiculous.

As for the notion that the show doesn't need continuity from one week to the next: puh-lease. The development of the story of Michael's crusade to find out about why he had a Burn Notice placed on him, really develops some momentum towards the end of the season, so much so that for the last 5 weeks or thereabouts, we were really hanging out for the next episode. The last 3 are probably the most critical, so at least they didn't stop at the second to last one. :rolleyes:

I made the same observation to Mrs MM and was corrected. It's botox for the lines around the eyes, and collagen for the lips. ;):P

Thank her for me - I can now be far more accurate when bagging out Balloon Face People :lol:

As for the notion that the show doesn't need continuity from one week to the next: puh-lease. The development of the story of Michael's crusade to find out about why he had a Burn Notice placed on him, really develops some momentum towards the end of the season, so much so that for the last 5 weeks or thereabouts, we were really hanging out for the next episode. The last 3 are probably the most critical, so at least they didn't stop at the second to last one. :rolleyes:

In downloading these last three episodes I noticed that in the US, the last two were aired as a double. Bet Ten doesn't do that when they finally get around to showing them.

Ah well, grabbing these just gave me even more programming to negate the pointless "Easter non-ratings period" :)

In downloading these last three episodes I noticed that in the US, the last two were aired as a double. Bet Ten doesn't do that when they finally get around to showing them.

No, it isn't possible for ten to air the last two episodes as double just because some downloadholic person has noticed that it was done like that in the US that too when downloading the last three episodes, thanq so much.

Yes, it may be in the "US", but this is Aus and ur bet is out of the question.

It's possible to air the episodes together, it just depends whether TEN wants to.

I remember Nine's dreadful treatment of the season finale of CSI - it was a 2 hour episode (directed by Tarantino) - and shown as such in the US - but Nine showed it as two separate episodes - and delayed showing the second half until the 'season premiere' the next year! :angry2:

It's possible to air the episodes together, it just depends whether TEN wants to.

I remember Nine's dreadful treatment of the season finale of CSI - it was a 2 hour episode (directed by Tarantino) - and shown as such in the US - but Nine showed it as two separate episodes - and delayed showing the second half until the 'season premiere' the next year! :angry2:

Let's face it,we in Australia aren't getting the quality treatment from the studios.We rate second best to the rest of the world,screw the viewers they don't know any better.

Well it's TIME to get your act together channel 10,9,7 and stop acting like it doesn't matter.

I want the full treatment so I can ENJOY the shows as they are meant to be,IS IT SO HARD ?

:ph34r: :angry2:

No, it isn't possible for ten to air the last two episodes as double

Given 10's predilection for stitching together two completely unrelated episodes of a show and calling it a 'movie length premier' I fail to see why. Of course, normally 10 snips a bit out of such a 'premier' to fit in a few more ads.

One of these days your posts might make sense. Today is not one of those days. You even fail miserably as a troll. :blink:

No, it isn't possible for ten to air the last two episodes as double just because some downloadholic person has noticed that it was done like that in the US that too when downloading the last three episodes, thanq so much.

Yes, it may be in the "US", but this is Aus and ur bet is out of the question.

Why? Viewers get such shoddy treatment from FTA networks because people like yourself accept it.

By your logic it would be acceptable for Ten to show three quarters of a football game one week, then show the last quarter of that game as the first quarter of next weeks match.

The season was designed to have a beginning, middle and an ending. Not a beginning, a middle and a hiatus, then an ending, a beginning, a middle and an ending.

Edited by kenny8