Sign in to follow this  
Mining Man

Your Opinion Of Toshiba

I am very disappointed with Toshiba, their marketing was non existant, their deal with microsoft was very bad (if all xbox 360's had built in hd dvd drive it might have been different) also deals with major movie studios and distributor werent solid,

after all this they still had 30% market share in the US. they could have also persuaded the EU anti trust to help the HD DVD cause making retailers/rental have a decent collection available in europe.

alas just like the vhs vs beta max battle the more consumer friendly format has died. I am passionately against format etc that introducing strict licencing or limitation eg. region coding.

very frustrated about this whole saga, i am not a blue or red supporter as such but support any format that allow flexibility.

~

alas just like the vhs vs beta max battle the more consumer friendly format has died.

~

How the hell was Beta more consumer friendly? It was more expensive due to Sony being greedy with licencing, and shorter tape times were hardly an advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your sentiments on Toshiba's failures in marketing HD DVD.

But BD is the superior technology. It's the poorer implementation that has always been the issue.

The implementation can be improved, the technology on which it is based is pretty limited.

(Whether or not the implementation is improved is an entirely different matter. :rolleyes: )

But BD is the superior technology. It's the poorer implementation that has always been the issue.

BD might be better technology, well it does have 50Gb of capacity but its the region coding and this coding and that coding that i have issues with.

Well I think it was totally dishonest of Toshiba to lead consumers on in believing the format still had a future.

In fairness to Toshiba, the statements they were making in the last couple of months were not those of 100% support. They were saying that HDDVD was the best platform, not that they supported it unreservedly - there is a big difference there. People just took those comments as support, as it's what they wanted to hear.

That is what lies are......deceitfulness and they did it to minimize their losses at the expense of their consumers. Never mind whether they discounted their players, they deceived people into paying good money for them knowing full well they were going to dump the format.

toshiba have no obligation to anyone other than the shareholder. OK, nobody expected them to dump their stock and run - but is anyone surprised or think that any other company wouldn't have done that same thing in that situation ?

Some may take a philosophical approach to it all, but how do you think people who do not frequent these forums must feel about the news ?

C.M

Anyone who bought into HD knew there was 2 formats and knew that both couldn't survive. They also knew that they had a 50% chance of getting lead down a dead end path by either Sony or Toshiba.

Companies don't have a social consience. They like to make you think you do, so it makes you feel better about buying their product - but it comes down to value for the shareholder every time. The consumer is a distant second.

My opinion of Toshiba has not changed but it was a bad commercial decision to try and get a separate format up solo. Once the 'heavy hitters' in the industry (Matsushita/Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung) went with Sony the writing was on the wall. The lessons of VHS v Beta were not learned and the result repeated.

Well I think it was totally dishonest of Toshiba to lead consumers on in believing the format still had a future.

That is what lies are......deceitfulness and they did it to minimize their losses at the expense of their consumers. Never mind whether they discounted their players, they deceived people into paying good money for them knowing full well they were going to dump the format.

Some may take a philosophical approach to it all, but how do you think people who do not frequent these forums must feel about the news ?

C.M

Cmon, you have over 3500 posts, and this forum did much more advertising of the benefits and future of HD-DVD than Toshiba ever did.

If anyone wants to sue anybody, get a class action against

DTV Forum Australia > Disc Formats > HD DVD >

That is where all the anti BD, pro HD-DVD propaganda came from.

For what's it's worth I am too mourning the demise of Beta, I mean HD-DVD. I believe it's a better product for consumers, but I could see 6 months ago that it had limited life.

Sony couldn't lose this war, there was too much at stake and I never under-estimated the PS3 penetration and advertising.

C.M

Yes, we trusted their good name and were happy with their earlier products (the 900e was wonderful). But one can't help but feel duped with this fire sale.

I am disappointed in the demise of HDDVD, whilst I have a ps3 and took a punt in the format wars it was predominately for my son and his gaming the fact it also played HDM was good but I wouldnt have cared if BD had lost as the games would either come out in BD or DVD anyway.

As for the quality I am not an expert but to me they looked the same and as for the extra functionality beyond insert disk and play I couldnt give a ratz, I never watch the extra and stuff so for me it is all wasted.

also the region limitation is perhaps what attracted the studios to jump ship ironically I wish they had jumped the other way, now the pressure is on for unlocked players for bd, didnt the accc legislate against region encoding in AU?

my 0.02c

Edited by pc9630

Yeah, sorry, but I'm p*ssed at them. I've shelled out $1200+ for a player, which is effectively now 'obsolete'. Sure its a great upscaler for DVD, but I didn't buy it for that. I bought it for high definition movies. All I've done over the last 6 months is watch them drag them their heels, their marketing was total sh*te, and then a firesale at the end when they'd basically dead in the water. I would be mighty p*ssed if I had have bought a HD-DVD player just last week. Sorry Tosh, but my 'respect' for you has plummeted...

In the future if Toshiba is going to release anything new in home entertainment the first thing they should do is to go and poach all the marketing staff from Sony.Pay them more than what Sony is and they will be guaranteed to have a successful product.

Edited by luminated44

Personally I am very disappointed with Toshiba... Everybody questions previously why Toshiba didn't push HD DVD out to market aggressively.. It's getting clear now they always intend HD DVD to be just an interim content delivery system. They never want HD DVD to take off in the first place as all these years they have their sights targeted on direct download.

And their excuse for the firesale in January is hogwash. You gotta give at least 2 months to gain market share. To be honest the mass public don't even know you can get the HD XE-1 for $550ish. Cut and run this quickly only means two things - firesale and decepting the customers.. (Although at $500 it's really a great deal for a DVD player).

It's all a business to them, and I don't like Toshiba for that. This Japanese company is simply treating early adopters as cash cow simpletons....

"They never want HD DVD to take off in the first place as all these years they have their sights targeted on direct download."

You may mean Microsoft.

They were in the HD-DVD corner, but apart from the xbox addon, you wouldnt know it ... with their main interest

lying in downloadable online content ...