Sign in to follow this  
Mining Man

Your Opinion Of Toshiba

If I was a Toshiba shareholder (and I'm not), I would be pissed that they lost, but I would have been more pissed if they'd continued flogging a dead horse for a few more months. Better to pull the pin now, rather than in a year.

I'm not sure why anyone could be annoyed with them. Like any business would have done, they were just trying to recover some costs with some cheap HD players before dumping it altogether. Honestly, what did we expect them to do ?

It was marketing he thought that Toshiba lacked the most. I'd have to agree.

Absolutely have to agree on this - How can a format that was region free, cheaper to produce, cheaper to purchase, constantly on Amazon sales, cheaper and complete Hardware profile from day one and had Universal, Paramount/Dreamworks and at one time Warner - go down like a bonfire?

Lack of clever Marketing by Toshiba and no gaming console to "hide" a HD drive in while still calling it a gaming machine. You have to give Kudos to Sony - they BLED heavily for BR because they had all their HD eggs in the one basket with the PS3. Lord only knows how much money Sony and the BDA lost initially to keep BR going. Now Toshiba couldn't keep going on because as everyone knows - the majority of studios went with BR and the major retailers completely shunned HD DVD. They chose - Party over - no matter how good the HD DVD format was/is.

It all came down to one thing - 10,000,000 BR players (90-95% PS3) to 1,000,000 HD DVD players - the latter camp can never out buy the former in terms of discs - although ~$180 million was spent on BR discs and ~$90 million on HD DVDs according to the latest figures I found on the web.

But - what went "wrong" with the Warner "deal" with HD DVD? They were completely caught with their HD-pants down at CES08!

I purchased both formats because I am interested in the movies per se - now I am concerned of no longer being able to get region free discs and at cheaper prices from the US :(

Someone really screwed things up at HD DVD land - it is all for naught now - unless some studios will continue to release HD DVDs around the world.

For JP - they would have been totally unaware of WTF was going down with all this HD stuff.

Sony PS3 1080p HDMI 1.3 Full HD Bravia - Toshiba had no answer until it was too late.

It was fascinating to have been a part of this debate (mainly on WP!) and even more so to have been part of a format that will "disappear" soon.

What swayed Warner? Price of GAS they say :rolleyes:

cheers,

Silkman

Toshiba even after this debacle couldnt suck more than 'the one and only'

Edited by Large

I may not be entirely happy with Toshiba's effort in this war but they made an incredible HD DVD player SD upscaler in the XE1, if they make a profile 2.0 BD player to the same high standard of the XE1 I'll get one for sure.
That's the spirit.

If they can make such a good HD-DVD player maybe they can come out with a BD player to rival the expensive crap being generated by everyone else.

Their track record (at building quality gear) is a proven one I reckon.

Their marketing track record is abysmal but c'est la vie.

Loss of HD-DVD is very dissapointing but I knew what I was getting in too.

The media is fantastic and it's not going to stop playing.

I'll probably pick up some disks.

Already bid for some of Al's.

If I was a Toshiba shareholder (and I'm not), I would be pissed that they lost, but I would have been more pissed if they'd continued flogging a dead horse for a few more months. Better to pull the pin now, rather than in a year.

I'm not sure why anyone could be annoyed with them. Like any business would have done, they were just trying to recover some costs with some cheap HD players before dumping it altogether. Honestly, what did we expect them to do ?

Well I think it was totally dishonest of Toshiba to lead consumers on in believing the format still had a future.

That is what lies are......deceitfulness and they did it to minimize their losses at the expense of their consumers. Never mind whether they discounted their players, they deceived people into paying good money for them knowing full well they were going to dump the format.

Some may take a philosophical approach to it all, but how do you think people who do not frequent these forums must feel about the news ?

C.M

my opinion of them hasnt changed - all companies do this - its disapointing, Yes.

I am more pissed that the BDA have been allowed to get away with the whole Profile mess - thats more anti-consumer than what Toshiba have done. I may purchase the movies on BR now , but I certainly wont be forking out for a Profile 1 or 1.1 player within six months of each other before 2.0.

I also think that post Warner Toshiba may have thought they still had a chance if they could flood the market and get the adoption rate up - that obviously didnt occure because they didnt bother to market it despite their announced increased marketing focus.

To be honest, I was never a great fan of Toshiba's HD DVD players and it was one of the reasons why I preferred BD to HD DVD (the other being lack of studio support, which never numbered more than 3 major studios). If other manufacturers had come out with HD DVD players, I would have been more supportive of the format long term, but restricting hardware to one CE manufacturer (Onkyo's clone player doesn't really count) made it look like a half-hearted attempt at competing with Blu-Ray.

Edited by Julian L

... but restricting hardware to one CE manufacturer (Onkyo's clone player doesn't really count) made it look like a half-hearted attempt at competing with Blu-Ray.

On the weight of all evidence, it WAS a half-hearted attempt at competing with Blu-ray. ;)

On the weight of all evidence, it WAS a half-hearted attempt at competing with Blu-ray. ;)

But I guess as they hit the market first and could see Blu-Ray wasn't ready, probably thought they had a year or two up their sleeve. Reality is they could have actually still marketed the fact Blu-Ray wasn't ready and used fear tactics, but they didn't get dirty enough early enough.

But I guess as they hit the market first and could see Blu-Ray wasn't ready, probably thought they had a year or two up their sleeve. Reality is they could have actually still marketed the fact Blu-Ray wasn't ready and used fear tactics, but they didn't get dirty enough early enough.

I seriously can't fathom what they were thinking, at any stage of the life of HD DVD. Where was the almighty explosion on launch? Where was the sneering: been there, done that, after every BD claim of technological capability? Where was the heckling of profile issues? Where was the education of the studios that PS3 actually diluted BD attachment rates, not improved them? Were Toshiba on the same planet as the rest of us, throughout this entire campaign?

It's given me one strong thought:

I'll be encouraging my little diggers to study marketing, not mechatronics. :ph34r:

my opinion of toshiba, hasnt changed. they did a wonderfull job with dvd back then and the first dvd player I bought made by them I've got and still works like a dream. the tosh xe1 is a brilliant player that no other standalone blu-ray player still on the market can match and thats included in its legacy dvd playback.

its unfortunate even with this brilliance. that something else even if half baked but with marketing behind it can push it self forward. probably be a case study for marketing 101 I'd say :)

Was the slash in prices a last ditch effort or a fire sale ?

I'm thinking it more the latter.

I still have a brilliant player for $530, and others that have paid twice that feel the same.

Just have to wait and see for the fire sales on the movies, and wouldn't want to pay over $15

for a movie now, the worst thing about it all is that I will be stuck with NORBIT when my redemption

arrives !!!

Edited by kopthat

I tend to think the former, as I feel they were trying and also the Superbowl ad which could have been pulled, and the TV advertising. If it was fire sale I couldn't imagine they would have done those. Maybe some will think that is incorrect, but I think they would have met in January and said let's have a last push, they probably also spoke with some studios, and I would suspect thought if things don't turn around be the next quarter we review it. The whispers following Walmart probably meant they had to get back together earlier and make a decision which was probably already decided in January that if things didn't pick up we pull out.

Well I think it was totally dishonest of Toshiba to lead consumers on in believing the format still had a future.

That is what lies are......deceitfulness and they did it to minimize their losses at the expense of their consumers. Never mind whether they discounted their players, they deceived people into paying good money for them knowing full well they were going to dump the format.

Some may take a philosophical approach to it all, but how do you think people who do not frequent these forums must feel about the news ?

C.M

As John Laws said to Ricky Ponting, "I think youve got it." Spot on IMHO.

my opinion of toshiba, hasnt changed. they did a wonderfull job with dvd back then and the first dvd player I bought made by them I've got and still works like a dream. the tosh xe1 is a brilliant player that no other standalone blu-ray player still on the market can match and thats included in its legacy dvd playback.

its unfortunate even with this brilliance. that something else even if half baked but with marketing behind it can push it self forward. probably be a case study for marketing 101 I'd say :)

Like your self I've always had some Tosh gear around,originally the 900E.

best DVD spinners around IMO.

I was just about to buy a Denon 3930 just for SD replay because my Sony S1E was so pox at it.

Instead I bought the XE1 which side by side blitzes it.So I do feel that it's worth its keep, but really sad that I will be restricted to BD new releases.

Now I also wonder should I still buy any O/S copies of any HD disc I want or hope that its re-released on BD.

I know tho any BD release will not be cheap now.Any forseeable specials in the future??

It makes me wonder how small the HT/HD market is?

I mean Tosh went down fast.

While all along the diffferent games formats still keep chugging along and still surviving???

Yes I do feel a bit of animosity against Sony,not because of the war.But because they have let me down the most often and bitterly with aftersales service,especially after warranty is out. \

EDIT: just one more thing .why weren't there any more HD hardware manufacturers out there?

Did Tosh make licensing to exxy for the others to bother ?

Edited by the joz