Sign in to follow this  
Doast

New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

VIERA TH-42PX80A 42" (106cm) HD Digital Plasma TV

RRP: $2,099

On the Panasonic website now.

If you google for 50PZ800A it's now listed @ JB but you need to login for prices.

http://jbcommercial.com.au/?pack_id=3908&catp_id=17

I might subscribe to this thread, also if anyone knows a store in Melbourne which is 'test friendly' I'd love to know about it, since most of my trips people won't let me hook up my stuff.

(Just want to hook up a 360 / PS3 via HDMI - probably 15 minutes testing)

If you google for 50PZ800A it's now listed @ JB but you need to login for prices.

http://jbcommercial.com.au/?pack_id=3908&catp_id=17

I might subscribe to this thread, also if anyone knows a store in Melbourne which is 'test friendly' I'd love to know about it, since most of my trips people won't let me hook up my stuff.

(Just want to hook up a 360 / PS3 via HDMI - probably 15 minutes testing)

Do you need to be registered by JB themselves to be able to login to that, because i can't see a sign up page

I briefly checked out the RRP $1,899 Panasonic 1024 X 768P TH-42PX8A Plasma today(ticketed about $1600).

It was right next to the Pioneer 1024 X 768P PDP-428XDA Plasma.

Both were being fed a standard definition DVD signal via component cables from an LG DVD player showing various loops including one from the "Planet Earth" DVD. Default settings were left and viewing distance was less than 1m.

I was somewhat dissapointed with the blacks of the Panasonic compared to the Pioneer. I really expected that the Panasonic would have at the very least caught up with the Pioneer in this regard, since the Panasonic panel is one full model cycle newer. The Panasonic blacks looked grey in direct comparison.

With poor signal quality, the superior video processing of the Pioneer merely resulted in a "fuzzy" picture where as the Panasonic occasionally looked positively "blocky". I was again dissapointed by this.

With better quality video signals however, results were very different.

The Panasonic picture was significantly brighter than the Pioneer.

The Panasonic picture looked sharper, with more detail, less video "noise" and had slightly more vivid colours.

Has anyone else had any similar findings ?

Edited by Mr Frank

Do you need to be registered by JB themselves to be able to login to that, because i can't see a sign up page

No idea - I'd guess it's a JB dealer thing :(

I was somewhat dissapointed with the blacks of the Panasonic compared to the Pioneer. I really expected that the Panasonic would have at the very least caught up with the Pioneer in this regard, since the Panasonic panel is one full model cycle newer. The Panasonic blacks looked grey in direct comparison.

With poor signal quality, the superior video processing of the Pioneer merely resulted in a "fuzzy" picture where as the Panasonic looked positively "blocky". I was again dissapointed by this.

The Panasonic picture was significantly brighter than the Pioneer.

The reviews I have read have stated that though the 8XX series Panasonics have better blacks than the older 7XX series, the current Pioneer's still seem to produce better blacks (however marginally)...and don't forget the new XX9series Pio's have a 50% increase in their claimed black levels.

The Panasonic's seem to have increased their contrast at the bright end of the scale, but not as much at the dark end. While this will make them more competitive in a lighter/brighter environment with LCDs, I think the Pios would still be better in a darker enviromnmet. But as an overall package, I still think the Panasonics are a better buy based on value for money and features.

The reviews I have read have stated that though the 8XX series Panasonics have better blacks than the older 7XX series, the current Pioneer's still seem to produce better blacks (however marginally)...and don't forget the new XX9series Pio's have a 50% increase in their claimed black levels.

The Panasonic's seem to have increased their contrast at the bright end of the scale, but not as much at the dark end. While this will make them more competitive in a lighter/brighter environment with LCDs, I think the Pios would still be better in a darker enviromnmet. But as an overall package, I still think the Panasonics are a better buy based on value for money and features.

Are you saying that even the Panasonic TH42/50/58/65PZ800 models with double the claimed native contrast ratio of 30,000 :1 (15,000:1 specification for TH-42PX8A) , still can not even match the black levels of either current Pioneer Kuro models ?

If so, that is most dissapointing !

Edited by Mr Frank

Are you saying that even the Panasonic TH42/50/58/65PZ800 models with double the claimed native contrast ratio of 30,000 :1 (15,000:1 specification for TH-42PX8A) , still can not even match the black levels of either current Pioneer Kuro models ?

I haven't seen the PX80 side by side with a Pioneer XDA or LX as yet so I based my comments on this review - 15000:1 CR

With the TH42PX80 Panasonic have maintained and enhanced their reputation for producing plasmas with excellent black levels. Improving on an already excellent black level performance over its predecessor the PX70, the PX80 while not quite reaching the standards set by Pioneer's Kuro range has done enough to cause some worried backward glances

42PZ85 - 30,000:1 CR - review here

Again, Panasonic have achieved a black level worthy of praise. If we hadn't had our benchmark Pioneer Kuro (PDP-428XD) directly alongside the PZ85 we would have initially judged the Panasonic to be the equal of any screen in this respect. As it is the Pioneer just pips the PZ85, but only just, the difference being barely perceptible. Of course, such an accomplished black level provides an excellent platform for colour rendering.

diesel, those reviews sound quite promising..now to see the new panasonic 50" 'in person' when it gets here.....

if the new panasonic is just about as good as the present kuro, and is a lot cheaper, that will give pioneer some stiff competition. While the new kuro's have better blacks again....and i was impressed viewing the ces video...i think most people will not notice a big difference between the new panasonics and the new kuro's, unless the room is almost pitch black ?

Edited by larry

The 5 year warranty and free installation will still give the Kuro an edge.

It sounds like they are damned close and frankly, considering the cost of the Pioneer units, I dunno about paying the extra.

If it was me, I'd rather pay 300-400 bucks extra to get a 50" Kuro than a new 50" Panasonic, but I'd also rather get a cheaper 50" Panasonic PX70 rather than paying 300-400 bucks extra to get a 42" Kuro.

If it was me, I'd rather pay 300-400 bucks extra to get a 50" Kuro than a new 50" Panasonic, but I'd also rather get a cheaper 50" Panasonic PX70 rather than paying 300-400 bucks extra to get a 42" Kuro.

If there was only $300-$400 difference between a 768p Pioneer and 768p Panasonic, then I would agree with you djmm. By the time you add in 5 year factory warranty, delivery and wall mount, the Pio would be infront by a long way. However, at present the $300-$400 difference is between a 768p Pioneer and 1080p Panasonic. The current 50" 1080p Panasonic is inferior to a 768p Pioneer IMO, but the new 1080p Panasonic will give it a run for the money. I also like some of the other features that the Pana has that the Pio doesn't eg 7 day EPG, fast channel change times, SD card slot etc.

At the end of the day it is a tough call, but at least the Panasonics have caught up a bit....for now at least ;)

Guest EZYHD

The other thing to consider is the Pioneers have sold out currently and apprently in various DTV threads just about all of the next shipment of Pio's are spoken for.

I also agree the Pioneer Plasma 5 year "factory" warranty, delivery and instal means a lot to most.

It sounds to me that you can get an old kuro for similar money but th enew one is far more than 3 or 400 bucks more.

Guest EZYHD

The old Kuro's are very hard to find in the XDA models.

<SNIP>..i think most people will not notice a big difference between the new panasonics and the new kuro's, unless the room is almost pitch black ?

So what's the deal with a plasma, what if the room isn't entirely black? - do the blacks actually look blacker than they actually are?

(like being in a lit room looking out the window?)

The 5 year warranty and free installation will still give the Kuro an edge.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Pioneer nearly 50% more $$?

spoke to someone at good guys before, said the 800 series may be a little cheaper as it will be built in china.. so it wont be as good quality as the 700.. also that the difference in quality wont be that significant as it is just a replacement model, rather than a complete over haul...

dont know what to make of this, too many different opinions, release dates, prices...

Edited by iron99

spoke to someone at good guys before, said the 800 series may be a little cheaper as it will be built in china.. so it wont be as good quality as the 700.. also that the difference in quality wont be that significant as it is just a replacement model, rather than a complete over haul...

You'll find that the panel is made in Japan, but whether it is assembled in japan or China is neither here nor there in my opinion. It's the same components, same warranty, and same build quality, just cheaper labour and possibly $ incentives for big multinationals to setup in China.

At the end of the day I don't think where they are built really matters

I hope they have done something about the remote/infrared system the pana's use. If you aint pointing the thing directly at the receiver it doesn't register.

I haven't seen the PX80 side by side with a Pioneer XDA or LX as yet so I based my comments on this review - 15000:1 CR

42PZ85 - 30,000:1 CR - review here

Don't forget that contrast ratios can be measured in a variety of ways - so take with a grain of salt what a manufacturer claims is their CR ratio on a screen!

You'll find that the panel is made in Japan, but whether it is assembled in japan or China is neither here nor there in my opinion. It's the same components, same warranty, and same build quality, just cheaper labour and possibly $ incentives for big multinationals to setup in China.

I was thinking the same. It's not as if there are actually people making these things anymore. It's all done by machines.

Are Japanese robots better than chinese?

Actually not to start fear mongering but I hope this is not true.

A lot of Chinese built stuff may use panels from Japan or Germany or whatever - the problem isn't the panel it's the other electronics on the board, the cheap capacitors, transformers etc which cause it to either break or buzz, crap like that.

Philips changed where they manufactured their high end CRT's about a year before they phased them out and all of them started buzzing loudly when you purchased the latest model - very annoying.

I hope they have done something about the remote/infrared system the pana's use. If you aint pointing the thing directly at the receiver it doesn't register.

I can confirm it's the remote, and not the sensor on the panel. I use a Logitech Harmony 525 Universal RC and I can be standing at about 1500 off axis and the panel still responds to commands

I was thinking the same. It's not as if there are actually people making these things anymore. It's all done by machines.

Are Japanese robots better than chinese?

Depends where the robots are made...japan or China? :P:lol:;)