Sign in to follow this  
Doast

New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

I have no doubt that more light output will be useful to some, but there isn’t a Plasma made that is good enough to view in the dark or even close.

A moderately dimly lit room typical of a night time viewing environment is dark enough to show up the inadequate blacks of even a Kuro LX. Anything inferior is going to look flat, washed out and two dimensional on dark scenes.

Go damnit why can't these guys put a slim surround around these units now the new one won't fit either <_< I was really hoping something decent would come out in 106cms that would sit under 1040 wide (which most of the LCD's do) but alas not for the pana's this time. I guess someone else will get my hard earned.

/rant

All the commercial 106cm panels are 120cm wide as indicated here

Do you guys think that 46" PZ series can be had for around $2,500? I don't mean after half a year or later, but as soon as they are in store?

How much would be your prediction for 42"PZ and 46" series? (not RRP but the actual price you can get them for)

I work in the industry, but I also have a mate who works for panasonic commercial division. He said June on the new Pana plasma :) Not sure how accurate that is though!

Do we know anything about the new 58"? Is it 1080p? It is 24fps?

All the commercial 106cm panels are 120cm wide as indicated here

Not 120cm - they are 1020mm or 102cm.

And it is under 1040mm that RodN is asking for.

And the Panasonic PDPs have the speakers at the bottom not the sides.

Do we know anything about the new 58"? Is it 1080p? It is 24fps?

The current one is 1080p and the new 42/46" 1080p screens do support 1080/24, so I would say it is a safe bet that the 58" will be 1080p and support 1080/24....finally

I believe the 42"PZ700 (Full HD version) has speaker at the side, not the bottom

The current one is 1080p and the new 42/46" 1080p screens do support 1080/24, so I would say it is a safe bet that the 58" will be 1080p and support 1080/24....finally

I believe the 42"PZ700 (Full HD version) has speaker at the side, not the bottom

Is there a link which gives specs including dimensions for the new screens you are referring to. I'm getting confused with different offerings in US/UK/Asia.

"The current one is 1080p and the new 42/46" 1080p screens do support 1080/24, so I would say it is a safe bet that the 58" will be 1080p and support 1080/24....finally"

... so will the new 50in. PZ850 ....

Electric Discounter has the following two new models listed, with a mid-may expected availability:

TH42PX80A (720p) $1639

TH50PX80A (720p) $2249

No prices on Full HD as yet.

I have no doubt that more light output will be useful to some, but there isn’t a Plasma made that is good enough to view in the dark or even close.

A moderately dimly lit room typical of a night time viewing environment is dark enough to show up the inadequate blacks of even a Kuro LX. Anything inferior is going to look flat, washed out and two dimensional on dark scenes.

Agreed. i Must say in the past I was never extremely worried about black levels, but recently it's become more noticeable to my eyes. Even on my Kuro 60" the blacks can be horrible in dark scenes. I was watching Alien VS Predator the other night and the blacks were very distracting in the dark scenes (v. grey). So much so that I couldn't really tell what was going on in the scene. It was quite disappointing and really exemplified that even this current range of Kuro's (although leaps above the rest) are still no where near good enough at reproducing blacks in a dark room (if it is a completely dark scene). Let's hope the new range fixes these problems. Although it does like like the new Kuro's will have a much mproved black level and we may finally be able to enjoy true blacks.

Not 120cm - they are 1020mm or 102cm.

And it is under 1040mm that RodN is asking for.

Thanks, thats what I meant to say and hence the reason for the link.

I hadn't noticed that, in the photos they look too narrow to have speakers on the side.

Specs are as follows:

42" PZ700A 1077mm (narrow speakers on the sides)

42" PX70A/P7A 1020mm (speakers at the bottom)

I have a 42PX7A.

Sorry if this has already been asked, Does anyone know when these new panasonic plasma tv will be released in australia?

May 1st to May to May 16th at the latest.

Expect RRP and models to be:

TH42PX80 $1699

TH50PX80 $2499

TH42PZ800 $2499

TH46PZ800 $2999

TH50PZ800 $3499

TH58PZ800 $5999

TH65PZ800 $10999

thanks diesel, i am currently looking a a panasonic plasma but i might wait to the new models are released in aus.......

How does the TH50PZ800 $3499 compare spec wise against the Pioneer Kuro 8 Gen 50"?

I have been looking at buying the 58" Panasonic but am just waiting for my transfer notice as I am moving house. Then I was going to get it for the new place. Anyway, after visiting a few shops some of the salesmen said that the PZ700 was getting harder to get (a JB hifi store had it as a deleted item) as Perth's Panasonic warehouse weren't releasing any units until we are closer to the Olympics.

Could the stock be the new model and just sitting there waiting for the opening ceremony?

I guess the new model sounds like it will be better, should I wait or just get one now. Any real noticible difference?

I see 1080p/24 mentioned a bit. Whats the 24 mean?

Prices I have been quoted have been between $5700 and $6800. Anyone know or heard of somewhere cheaper?

1080/24p referes to the resolution and frame rate. Film is shot at 24 frames/sec and currently needs to be converted into 50/60htz through various methods to be displayed on TVs. This adds some judder to some scenes, especially slow panning scenes. The ability to display film in it's original format means you should see better viewing experience. .

Note, from what I have read, you may still see jitter (not judder) in slow panning scenes due to the slow frame rate, but it is a definite plus to have 1080/24 support

Give it a month or two and it will be well under $2k is my tip.

Being an Olympic partner, Panasonic are goingto be pushing pretty hard for sales for people to see the Games on one of their big screens.