Sign in to follow this  
Doast

New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

May 1st to May to May 16th at the latest.

Expect RRP and models to be:

TH42PX80 $1699

TH50PX80 $2499

TH42PZ800 $2499

TH46PZ800 $2999

TH50PZ800 $3499

TH58PZ800 $5999

TH65PZ800 $10999

They are being tight lipped, but expect genuine RRP and models ranged in Oz to be close to above.

Oh, and Melbourne Demons will finish the wooden spoon.

Just wondering, where did you get those prices from? I was gonna buy Panasonic Plasma but since the new models are so close to be released, I will just wait for the new ones to come then. But anyway, let's say those prices are the real RRP, how much do you think the 'actual' price can we expect to pay at the store if we buy with cash? $300 off?

By the way, I got some questions about the new Panasonic, as far as I understand, they don't support Picture in Picture do they? And these new models don't have front Headphone Jack anymore unlike the older models? I find headphone socket to be very useful on my TV.

hi nis,

i hope your guess of "TH50PZ800 $3499" is right

i will be quite interested to see how these look in real life later this year.....

the big improvement in contrast ratio vs the present panasonic 50PZ makes the new model quite interesting....

then it will be time to choose between this at approx $3500 and the kuros' LX508 ($5000 and dropping) .....or maybe the new kuro ($8000?)

Edited by larry

TH42PX80 $1699

TH50PX80 $2499

TH42PZ800 $2499

TH46PZ800 $2999

TH50PZ800 $3499

TH58PZ800 $5999

TH65PZ800 $10999

They are being tight lipped, but expect genuine RRP and models ranged in Oz to be close to above.

Oh, and Melbourne Demons will finish the wooden spoon.

Pricing looks good, how sure are you on that dates specified?

Pricing looks good, how sure are you on that dates specified?

I schmick from Panasonic here, a smile there. Many retailers have already seen the models in their buying meetings.

Do you really beleive Panasonic will go 2 months in Australia without panels?

Last year they arrived similiar time, the PZ range that is.

Edited by nis200979

By the way, I got some questions about the new Panasonic, as far as I understand, they don't support Picture in Picture do they? And these new models don't have front Headphone Jack anymore unlike the older models? I find headphone socket to be very useful on my TV.

Current and previous ranges supported PiP, though maybe in thge more expensive models. can't see why this would be any different this time around

EDIT: Specs on the range on sale in the UK now indicate PiP and headphone inputs

TH42PX80 $1699

TH50PX80 $2499

TH42PZ800 $2499

TH46PZ800 $2999

TH50PZ800 $3499

TH58PZ800 $5999

TH65PZ800 $10999

TH42PX8A $2299

TH42PX80 $2499

TH50PX80 $3399

TH42PZ800 $2999

TH46PZ800 $3699

TH50PZ800 $4299

These prices are from the HN price server.

TH46PZ800 $3699

is that the same thing as TH46PZ80U? if not then is it the same as any of the plasmas on panasonic website? because i can't see any 800's

TH42PX8A $2299

TH42PX80 $2499

TH50PX80 $3399

TH42PZ800 $2999

TH46PZ800 $3699

TH50PZ800 $4299

Well I do sure hope that's only the website RRP not the real life price, because with that kind of price, I'd take a Pioneer 50" Kuro any time of the day thanks.

PS: 42PX80 for $2500 as far as I understand that's the same model that they're selling for US$1,199 in US right? Double the price??

Well I do sure hope that's only the website RRP not the real life price, because with that kind of price, I'd take a Pioneer 50" Kuro any time of the day thanks.

PS: 42PX80 for $2500 as far as I understand that's the same model that they're selling for US$1,199 in US right? Double the price??

They will be RRP so yeah knock off 20-30% from that and you should pay somewhere around that.

They will be RRP so yeah knock off 20-30% from that and you should pay somewhere around that.

So for a $2,500 42" one, it would still comes to around $1,700 then if you add 5 years warranty and delivery, it would be around $2,000+

By then isn't it better to add another 400-500 bucks and you'll get a 50" Kuro?

What will probably happen is these prices will drop the second the stock actually lands, the same thing happened with the PX70`s and the PZ 700`s the 42pz700 first appeared on the system as $3999rrp but as soon as the stock arrived it dropped to $2999, same with the 50pz700. first pricing was $5999 then dropped 2k over the first month,

here hoping as i got 2K waiting to hopefully grab a 50" PX80 with some change to spare as the last of the 50px70s were going out for around $1900

wazza

As a user, is there really much advantage of a 42" 80A over the 70A?

Apart from being newer, is it much better?

I see it has an extra HDMI port.. so let me re-ask.

Is there much advantage of an 42" 8A over a 70A?

Both same resolution screens. Both 2 HDMI inputs.

At, say, at least 20% price increase (over street deals available now) it wouldn't seem worthwhile.

???

Seems they support 24p playback, SD card slot, but you may lose Now/Next EPG

As a user, is there really much advantage of a 42" 80A over the 70A?

Apart from being newer, is it much better?

I see it has an extra HDMI port.. so let me re-ask.

Is there much advantage of an 42" 8A over a 70A?

Both same resolution screens. Both 2 HDMI inputs.

At, say, at least 20% price increase (over street deals available now) it wouldn't seem worthwhile.

???

Yes, it will be better.

New Panel G11 Progressive HD Plasma Display

New Native: 15,000:1 Contrast Ratio

24p Playback

:rolleyes:

Are we talking about the 800 series panels? I didn't think they were available, even in the UK, until later in the year. Also I assume there is no new 58" model?

Edited by fawlty99

Seems they support 24p playback, SD card slot, but you may lose Now/Next EPG

The 24p playback is misleading its not native 24p playback you need the 24p real cinema to achieve this which is only on the 800 series.

TH42PX8A $2299

TH42PX80 $2499

TH50PX80 $3399

TH42PZ800 $2999

TH46PZ800 $3699

TH50PZ800 $4299

:-) Funniest thing I've read in a while.

That says more about HN RRPs and pricing practises to mislead customers, than honest RRPs that stores sell them at.

Seeing as the PS50P91 sells at $3499 RRP, why would Panasonic launch an equilivant product at 20%+ more. Panasonic always has, and I think will for the foresable future, be very aggressive with pricing. They will be with 10% of equilivant Samsung products, personally I think they'll be the same RRP or less.

Are we talking about the 800 series panels? I didn't think they were available, even in the UK, until later in the year. Also I assume there is no new 58" model?

From all reports I have read there is a new 58" model. But what is the difference between the 85 and 800 series? The 85 is Full HD with 30,000:1 contrast etc. What more can the 800 add, better speakers?

The specs on the 85 series are pretty funny read...

"Thin-Profile Design (Depth 79 mm: exclusive of protruding portion)" ....what the? :blink::lol:

The 24p playback is misleading its not native 24p playback you need the 24p real cinema to achieve this which is only on the 800 series.

Not in my interpretation. What they are saying is that you can feed it a 24p signal and it can display it. That's all.

30,000: 1 contrast ratio, even if true (very unlikely) is not much use unless it translates into significantly lower black levels.

So far it appears Panasonic have improved contrast ratio via higher brightness rather then much darker blacks. That may be useful if you have a sun drenched room, but for most domestic environments it’s useless. More light output is no help, where as darker blacks are desperately needed.

Go damnit why can't these guys put a slim surround around these units now the new one won't fit either <_< I was really hoping something decent would come out in 106cms that would sit under 1040 wide (which most of the LCD's do) but alas not for the pana's this time. I guess someone else will get my hard earned.

/rant

Go damnit why can't these guys put a slim surround around these units now the new one won't fit either <_< I was really hoping something decent would come out in 106cms that would sit under 1040 wide (which most of the LCD's do) but alas not for the pana's this time. I guess someone else will get my hard earned.

/rant

Not quite sure why but it would appear all current 42 and 50 pdp's have side mounted speakers where as most large lcd's have them mounted below panel.... Not sure why or whats comin thru in new series from all manufac's in next lot of releases but it all looks to be same kinda thing all makes and models..

I'm looking forward to these sets, the 50PZ800 at $3499 RRP is very nice, under 3k street. HN's prices are ridiculous though.

I work in the industry, but I also have a mate who works for panasonic commercial division. He said June on the new Pana plasma :) Not sure how accurate that is though!

Edited by Pleasure Paulie

30,000: 1 contrast ratio, even if true (very unlikely) is not much use unless it translates into significantly lower black levels.

So far it appears Panasonic have improved contrast ratio via higher brightness rather then much darker blacks. That may be useful if you have a sun drenched room, but for most domestic environments it’s useless. More light output is no help, where as darker blacks are desperately needed.

I'm pretty sure you are correct there Owen. All the info I have read (includung the Pana website) indicate that this is measured in a bright room, and as you say is done by them cranking up the brightness. Does this add to their power consumption?

That said, having a brighter plasma screen in rooms with a lot of natural light may mean they don't look so washed out when compared to LCDs?

Not quite sure why but it would appear all current 42 and 50 pdp's have side mounted speakers where as most large lcd's have them mounted below panel.... Not sure why or whats comin thru in new series from all manufac's in next lot of releases but it all looks to be same kinda thing all makes and models..

Frameless screens are on the horizon....kinda like the Sony X/XBRs glass surround, except the picture goes all the way to the edge of the panel.

owen-i also agree with diesel, i think they have gone for increased brightness so they compare well with lcd's

plus being plasma's they also have better blacks than lcd's

so for most people this should be an improvement

i never watch tv in a totally dark room, so while i do like the idea of better blacks, increased brightness is still a welcome improvement....