Sign in to follow this  
Doast

New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

Seems we are not getting THX mode for our 800 series.

Where did you hear that? Seems a shame as it gets good reviews on AVS forum.

Seems we are not getting THX mode for our 800 series.

You're kidding me? was it in the press release?

Where did you hear that? Seems a shame as it gets good reviews on AVS forum.

It's not in the manual which you can get from Panasonic Australia website. We get 4 picture modes with no THX setting. A bit of digging indicates its not on the European model either. Yes the AVS seem to indicate this is one of the best things about the display so to find we don't get it is very frustrating.

It's not in the manual which you can get from Panasonic Australia website. We get 4 picture modes with no THX setting. A bit of digging indicates its not on the European model either. Yes the AVS seem to indicate this is one of the best things about the display so to find we don't get it is very frustrating.

Well thats crap! Not sure what i will get now, LG full HD is looking good...

Well thats crap! Not sure what i will get now, LG full HD is looking good...

So does the LG have THX mode?

I remember reading for the Euro models they just renamed THX mode to Cinema or Film mode for legal reasons.

I remember reading for the Euro models they just renamed THX mode to Cinema or Film mode for legal reasons.

i just went into the manual for the 46", and saw the following

Basic picture mode (Dynamic / Normal / Cinema / Eco)

Dynamic : Provides enhanced picture contrast and sharpness when viewing in a bright room

Normal : Recommended for viewing under normal ambient room lighting conditions

Cinema : For watching movies in a darkened room producing a cinema-like picture

Eco : Adjusts picture settings automatically dependent on ambient lighting conditions

i think you are right.. unless USA version had Cinema mode in addition to THX mode

i just went into the manual for the 46", and saw the following

i think you are right.. unless USA version had Cinema mode in addition to THX mode

You's could be right, is it normal for a company to leave such features out completely? I thought it would have been the same across the board and easier for the company to make each model the same.

Nah, I wish that was the case but the cinema is just a standard preset for Panasonic. THX mode is definitely missing. THX mode was a major selling point for me so not sure what I will do now.

What’s this Cinema – THX mode BS, you use a custom mode, calibrate the display correctly and leave the bloody thing alone. Video is all encoded to the same standards, so these “modes” will never be needed.

What’s this Cinema – THX mode BS, you use a custom mode, calibrate the display correctly and leave the bloody thing alone. Video is all encoded to the same standards, so these “modes” will never be needed.

It's more then just tweaking some settings Owen.

How does THX movie mode differ from recommended ISF calibration recommendations? Is more involved than simply setting correct black levels and attaining a 6500K color temperature?

"We consider THX Movie Mode to be the best out of box experience possible. And since we test and evaluate each product, this setting is consistent across all display technologies. THX Movie Mode sets the red, green and blue primaries (color management), the luminance, as well as the black level, the correct value of gamma and correct tracking of the white-point with gamma. We opted to use white point instead of color temperature, since it is more precise. Many of these parameters are not accessible to consumers even from the service menu. So, THX Movie Mode provides them a simple way to get the right settings with just a push of a button. In addition, THX Movie Mode ensures that a display complies with the HDTV standards and will present HD content correctly."

Edited by wallywonka

What’s this Cinema – THX mode BS, you use a custom mode, calibrate the display correctly and leave the bloody thing alone.

That's just the thing - how are amateurs like myself supposed to calibrate a display? I would need a colorimeter, a bunch of test patterns, and even then I wouldn't know what the hell I am doing. So I would be hugely grateful for a mode that would be pre-calibrated to a certain standard.

So does the LG have THX mode?

No but it offers full ISF colour calibration tools in the user menu, which would be great if I knew how to use them :D

Oh wow, the 800a is at digital centre and 3700 - ouch, substantially more than I expected. (50 inch that is)

Edited by scottylans

Oh wow, the 800a is at digital centre and 3700 - ouch, substantially more than I expected. (50 inch that is)

surprisingly, the price for the 46" is pretty good, $2627, or $2428 with some promotion that they have running

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/527964/p...-plasma-tv.html

edit: still not great, but they also have the same promotion for the 50" model for $3481

Edited by tabsina

Were you able to have a look at it? Worth the extras over 80a?

Someone earlier in the thread has preordered it from DSE for $3399.

If you have a close look on that site you can get the 42 PZ800A for $2099 on their promotion, and the 46 PZ800A for $2428.

the RRP on these models are $2899 and $3299.

Taking into account the fact that Panasonic hasn't officially released the RRP on the 50 inch and the difference in price between the 42 and 46 on that site is under $400 you should expect to pick one up on this promotion for around 2800.

If you couldn't i would question how a 4inch step up for the 42 to the 46 is only $329 but a 4inch step up from the 46 to the 50 is around $1100.

If you have a close look on that site you can get the 42 PZ800A for $2099 on their promotion, and the 46 PZ800A for $2428.

the RRP on these models are $2899 and $3299.

Taking into account the fact that Panasonic hasn't officially released the RRP on the 50 inch and the difference in price between the 42 and 46 on that site is under $400 you should expect to pick one up on this promotion for around 2800.

If you couldn't i would question how a 4inch step up for the 42 to the 46 is only $329 but a 4inch step up from the 46 to the 50 is around $1100.

I agree mate, after seing the price for the 46" i thought the 50" would be about what you've quoted.

Any idea if the 58" Panasonic is set in stone for October as I was really hoping to have it for the Olympics. And does anyone have any clues on what the cost might be.

I see no point in paying the premium for it then

Why do we get shafted on this kind of stuff? isn't it MORE WORK to actually remove it?

Like the XMB on the Sony displays, they have to flash a non standard AU based firmware to get rid of the XMB

W.T.F?

surprisingly, the price for the 46" is pretty good, $2627, or $2428 with some promotion that they have running

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/527964/p...-plasma-tv.html

edit: still not great, but they also have the same promotion for the 50" model for $3481

42" is a bit small I think, even at the measly 2.5 metres I'll be from the display but 50" seems too big.

46" would be perfect but I think the Panasonic plasmas have a terrible picture quality :/ shame the other guys aren't also doing 46" models

42" is a bit small I think, even at the measly 2.5 metres I'll be from the display but 50" seems too big.

46" would be perfect but I think the Panasonic plasmas have a terrible picture quality :/ shame the other guys aren't also doing 46" models

Terrible picture quality? lol you gotta be joking.