New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

Been contemplating one of the new Pana's BUT

Today at JBhifi North Ryde I noticed waves\lines maybe interference of some kind moving from the top to bottom of the screen. It was visible on all of the new Panas but not really visible on anything else. It was sporadic and intermittent.

I once had this problem with my 1080p 30hz Acer 3705 37" flat screen.

The Acer would display these scrolling lines\waves from top to bottom whenever you were watching 50hz (eg. FTA) but would not be a problem when watching 60hz (eg. Xbox 360 set to 60hz). So basically everything we normally view in AUS was a problem, except for gaming and speciality devices.

So people in the states never had a problem but we aussies did.

Can anyone tell me if what I saw at JB Hifi's today was the same problem...?

The sales guy fed me a line about the panasonic TV's handshaking issues with their switch boxes...?

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today at JBhifi North Ryde I noticed waves\lines maybe interference of some kind moving from the top to bottom of the screen. It was visible on all of the new Panas but not really visible on anything else. It was sporadic and intermittent.

/quote]

I noticed the same effect at DJ on the new PX8 and PX80's today. It was most evident on FTA (adverts with red background) - waves moved from top to bottom of screen - not sporadic or intermittent but rather persistent. On the same feed next to the Pana's were the Kuro's and some LG's and no waves evident there.

I noticed the same effect at DJ on the new PX8 and PX80's today. It was most evident on FTA (adverts with red background) - waves moved from top to bottom of screen - not sporadic or intermittent but rather persistent. On the same feed next to the Pana's were the Kuro's and some LG's and no waves evident there.

PWM (pulse wave modulation?) is what it's called I believe. Seems the new Panas have this more than others.

I noticed at JB yesterday that the LGs have a weird fuzzy effect going on the edges of all shapes/colours that was very noticable, but not present on the Panas or Samys.

The Samy OTOH had a grainy/noise effect happening in some solid colours which the Panas and LGs didn't.

Moral is no panel is perfect. It's important to view the panels side by side with various inputs and see what pleases your eye the most (or bothers it the least )

Edited by twitch

PWM (pulse wave modulation?) is what it's called I believe. Seems the new Panas have this more than others.

I noticed at JB yesterday that the LGs have a weird fuzzy effect going on the edges of all shapes/colours that was very noticable, but not present on the Panas or Samys.

The Samy OTOH had a grainy/noise effect happening in some solid colours which the Panas and LGs didn't.

Moral is no panel is perfect. It's important to view the panels side by side with various inputs and see what pleases your eye the most (or bothers it the least )

No panel is perfect but I highly doubt that anyone could put up with this fault.

I saw side by side the 50px80a next to the old pz700a and you could hardly tell even close up the difference between the full HD and non full HD.

A point that Owen has been at pains to point out

G'day SkadollaX

I bought a Pana 42-8A as a backup for my PJ. There was some interference is store. Crappy cable and hardware installs I presume :huh: .

My works like a treat at home.

To my great surprise :o . Out of the box settings are good too.

hey guys can somebody please point me into the direction of calibration settings for the pana 42-px8a please. I have it set up in my room which is a dark environment if that helps..

Edited by MACH1NE

PWM= pulse width modulation (not "wave"). Google it. First hit is wikipedia.

It's a simple technique to switch something on and off quickly to vary intensity, brightness volume etc. The amount of time on vs off defines the level.

G'day SkadollaX

I bought a Pana 42-8A as a backup for my PJ. There was some interference is store. Crappy cable and hardware installs I presume :huh: .

My works like a treat at home.

To my great surprise :o . Out of the box settings are good too.

It's good to know but I'm not entirely convinced I'll be problem free. I really don't want the same issue as I had before. I guess I could always make it part of the deal with the store should the unit exibit the same behaviour at home. In which case I will return it.

What are you feeding the tv....

Edited by SkadollaX
I have seen a few 50px80a around but have not had a chance for a good play in the shops. Looks like it should be possible to get on for $2000 - $2100 inc 3yrs warranty - certainly tempting.

I have also stumbled upon a 508xda available for about $2700 which, due to its reputation, is making for a hard decision as to what to get (it would really push my budget to get the pio and will mean a longer wait for a PS3 and Audio upgrade).

or would it be worth waiting for the 50pz800a to get around the $2700-$2800 mark? how would this compare to the 508xda?

Would love to get a 508xda, but heard they are all sold out. Figured next best was a pana - have seen the 50px80a for $2099 with 5 yr warranty at HN, or had the retravision bloke down to $1900 (no extended warranty). I'll be sitting ~3m away, mainly watching FTA, foxtel, HD-DVD's and sports (AFL) so wondering is worth waiting for the full HD 800a or pick up the 80a for under 2k? Is this a good price for the 80a or is it expected to fall further once the 800a is in all the shops?

Thanks.

Would love to get a 508xda, but heard they are all sold out. Figured next best was a pana - have seen the 50px80a for $2099 with 5 yr warranty at HN, or had the retravision bloke down to $1900 (no extended warranty). I'll be sitting ~3m away, mainly watching FTA, foxtel, HD-DVD's and sports (AFL) so wondering is worth waiting for the full HD 800a or pick up the 80a for under 2k? Is this a good price for the 80a or is it expected to fall further once the 800a is in all the shops?

Thanks.

$2099 is a pretty decent price including 5 year warranty. the best price quoted so far on this forum for the 50 inch 80A has been $1720 without any extra warranty so given you got 5 year warranty i would say you have done well.

Im sure the 800A will be nice but at about 3M away i think it will be less noticeable at those distances. The further you sit away from your tv the less you notice the higher resolution.

Just letting everyone know the 42pz800a is in stores from today.

Had a quick look at the good guys but didn't really get a good look as a few others where in the way.

They had it for $2495 from what i remember but you can get it for a few hundred cheaper from the electrical discounter and other online stores, which you should be able to get them to match or beat.

Thanks, but, is that it? My samsung f series required alot more tuning then that

If you can find a better calibration set up elsewhere please let me know, I'd be interested to know about it.

If you can find a better calibration set up elsewhere please let me know, I'd be interested to know about it.

Evening all. Sorry about butting in .. Just had a LG 42PX4Dv plasma screen die, still have sound. 2 years 7 months old . I would presume not fixable. LGs are a waste of space if this happens. Is the new 42pz800a that is in stores today a good buy. Or should I move to a 50 in a pana or another brand. Up tp $3000 to spend open to all yiur wisdom.

Evening all. Sorry about butting in .. Just had a LG 42PX4Dv plasma screen die, still have sound. 2 years 7 months old . I would presume not fixable. LGs are a waste of space if this happens. Is the new 42pz800a that is in stores today a good buy. Or should I move to a 50 in a pana or another brand. Up tp $3000 to spend open to all yiur wisdom.

granted your looking at the 800 i assume you insist on high def, if not try get your hands on one of the last pdp508s

If you are looking for 1080p panas you have a few options

1. get the 42" pz700a for under $2000

2. get a 50" pz700a for under $2900

3. get a 42" pz800a for around $2200

4. go like i have and get a 46" pz800a awaiting delivery. got it for $2733 with 5 year warranty and delivery. had to go on some stupid finance deal to get that price though.

5 wait for the new 50" pz800a which you may be able to get round the $3000 mark.

or as above try to get one of the last pioneers. very hard to find now.

all these panels are worth the money but IMO the newer model panels have better PQ and black levels then the older ones.

Hope this helps

G'day guys. Finally talked my dad into buying a 42" 80A. He was all excited Tuesday, as they told him it will be in Friday, Retravision in country Vic. I get an email off him this afternoon, they've obviously called him and told him they can't get one in until early-mid July???

Have you guys heard of any shortages, or would he be best advised to put the screws on the sales staff, surely they can't be none available in Victoria??

G'day guys. Finally talked my dad into buying a 42" 80A. He was all excited Tuesday, as they told him it will be in Friday, Retravision in country Vic. I get an email off him this afternoon, they've obviously called him and told him they can't get one in until early-mid July???

Have you guys heard of any shortages, or would he be best advised to put the screws on the sales staff, surely they can't be none available in Victoria??

which retravison??

4. go like i have and get a 46" pz800a awaiting delivery. got it for $2733 with 5 year warranty and delivery. had to go on some stupid finance deal to get that price though.

5 wait for the new 50" pz800a which you may be able to get round the $3000 mark.

all these panels are worth the money but IMO the newer model panels have better PQ and black levels then the older ones.

Hope this helps

or wait for the new pioneers coming out soon.

Bairnsdale.

Id suggest he call up the local competitors and ask if they have stock and if so get one through them. The other options are to call the sales people at either theelectricaldiscounter.com.au or webprice.com.au and find out what their stock levels are. These companies will match any cheaper instore prices and the price they charge for delivery is usually within $20 of local delivery charges anyway.

Ok look, I love this TV but why on earth when I turn off my DVD / PS3 / Xbox does the television have a small box in the top left saying which input it's set to

AND IT STAYS THERE AND DOES NOT MOVE AT ALL?

This is a plasma which at least has some chance of burn in, this is completely weapons grade stupid! WTF?

The 50PX80A supports 1080p/24fps inputs.

Can anyone confirm that this is displayed with a 4:4 pulldown @96Hz with no judder?

Put another way - how do Bluray movies look when played via PS3?

I'll let you know when my PX8 arrives next week -- I think they are both the same in this respect. They both have "24p Playback" which is different from "24p Real Cinema" which the higher-up models have. Panasonic sez:

When reproducing a 24p movie source, the 24p Real Cinema function generates smooth motion transition based on the original 24 frames. Models that do not include 24p Real Cinema are equipped with full 24p Playback support, which provides cinema-like images but with a higher refresh rate.

So who knows what that means. hdtvtest.co.uk reckons the PX80 eliminates judder on 24p sources but isn't sure how:

I'm pleased to report that the Panasonic TH42PX80 properly handled 1080p/24 signal from the Sony Playstation 3 without telecine judder, as evidenced from the smoothness of the scrolling opening titles (00:02:18) and end credits, not to mention the numerous slow panning shots in the movie (e.g. when the camera panned left across a skyscraper around 00:10:18). I'm not sure whether this is achieved through 2:2/ 4:4 pulldown or frame interpolation, but it's pretty unlikely to be the latter considering that I didn't witness any "video effect" nor interpolation artefact even in scenes containing incredibly complex structures such as the pyramid-isque headquarters of Tyrell Corporation (00:16:31).

Make of that what you will!

According to the manual:

To prevent image retention, contrast is lowered

automatically after a few minutes if no signals are

sent or no operations are performed.

So there is some sort of protection built in.

Hope this helps

What is the delivery date of the 46PZ800. I am very interested in this T.V for a replacemnt of by Toshiba Rear Pro 46SW9UA

Not sure on the 46 but I read the following release schedule last week in a review of the new Pana products

50" Full HD - August 2008

58" Full HD - October 2008

65" Full HD - November 2008

Not sure how concrete these are, but this was what they stated in the review

What is the delivery date of the 46PZ800. I am very interested in this T.V for a replacemnt of by Toshiba Rear Pro 46SW9UA

I was told by a salesman a couple of days ago that they should be starting to arrive in-store in 2 -3 weeks .

It doesn't leave much time for the price to settle before the Olympics. I'd be happy with $2.5k and a free blueray player or a free PVR. :D

Edited by Phantoma

Thanks,

KFJ007

I was told last night the shop had received an email from panasonic saying this model is ready for shipping so should have it very soon

Bought a 42PX8A over the weekend.

Myer had the best price in the ACT - $1319 with 3 year warranty (plus $35 delivery)

Salesguy at Myer confirmed that their base price for the unit was $1050.

Good Guys had a cost price plus a dollar sale, and offered the TV to me for $1280, but the three year warranty was another $250 or so