Sign in to follow this  
Doast

New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

You will be more shocked with the phosphor lag, games will have yellow and blue trails on high contrast scenes. You may even notice it with regular TV viewing (I do).

Sparkling colours when viewing the screen up close are normal for plasma too.

I find it strange that we have such conflicting stories on the web about what's best for gamers.

One minute LCD sucks with poor motion, input lag and laggy display in general, next minute people claim it's plasma.

For the record, the majority of people say, if you can avoid burn in, plasma is the business for gaming and blows away LCD.

I noticed no sparkling colours - although that description does sound similar to the 'ants' problem on the panasonic.

Prices are now up on webprice.com.au

TH-42PZ800A $2390

TH-46PZ800A $2690

Thats good pricing, so the 50" 800 shouldnt be much over 3k.

Scotty, im keen on a Pana but now im worried, i really reckon you should go to another store and see if theres any differance there?

Thats good pricing, so the 50" 800 shouldnt be much over 3k.

Scotty, im keen on a Pana but now im worried, i really reckon you should go to another store and see if theres any differance there?

I plan to check out Myer CBD tomorrow (MYER, NOT MYERS YOU HEATHENS)

I am pretty picky - even so, I'm actually being less picky in the first place by even considering LCD or Plasma, the only thing which truely ever floored me was I think a 50" SXRD in the Sonystyle CBD store about 18 months ago, now that was a nice picture

I will look again, specifically looking for that shimmer, it was my only issue with the display, colour and blacks excellent - couldn't detect buzzing because JB Hifi at lucnch is louder than a nightclub.

I hope I'm proven wrong tomorrow, I also hate TV salesmen, I loathe them- I just want them to not even be there and just let me fiddle with stuff.

I noticed no sparkling colours - although that description does sound similar to the 'ants' problem on the panasonic.

Pretty sure we're talking about the same thing - upon closer inspection of the screen you can see fine speckles or dots, like digital "noise" dancing about.

It wasn't an issue for me though as I couldn't see it from 2m back.

IR wasnt an issue for me either as it always disappeared within a few minutes and you could only ever see it on a full black screen.

Edited by pneu

Pretty sure we're talking about the same thing - upon closer inspection of the screen you can see fine speckles or dots, like digital "noise" dancing about.

It wasn't an issue for me though as I couldn't see it from 2m back.

IR wasnt an issue for me either as it always disappeared within a few minutes and you could only ever see it on a full black screen.

Yeah that's the stuff - I could imagine even a paused scene would do it, it's a strange effect and very offputting, looks very very bad in game menus

I'll be 2.5 metres from it, eyeball to screen surface

Bad eyes or not, I'd still notice it! :( sad mf'n panda!

I hope it was colour saturation too high - I'll hit Myer tom and see how I go, I just want a bloody TV.

Fellow at work was interested in my Toshiba 36" for 500$ too, which is a damned good price for a 3.2k$ TV so that'llhelp

Anywhere I can browse TV cabinets online?

New Myer Prices with Stocktake Sale

50inch 80 series comes down to around $1980

42inch 80 series comes down to around $1550

New Myer Prices with Stocktake Sale

50inch 80 series comes down to around $1980

42inch 80 series comes down to around $1550

Is that RRP / sticker / bargained or what?

It looks like finding one for 2k with warranty won't be hard, now if I can just confirm about that picture quality :/

I find it strange that we have such conflicting stories on the web about what's best for gamers.

One minute LCD sucks with poor motion, input lag and laggy display in general, next minute people claim it's plasma.

For the record, the majority of people say, if you can avoid burn in, plasma is the business for gaming and blows away LCD.

I played a fps from start to finish on torch picture settings on a brand new panasonic and got not 1 second or image retention. Burn in on the newest panels is a myth IMO.

The image doesnt blur on plasma gaming but the trails are killing me ... its a guaranteed headache for me in 10 mins and I NEVER get headaches. The fluro trails are literally nauseating on some games ... Im finding myself calling it a fluro tv instead of plasma tv cause its overpowering. Then I switch back to tv/movies and love it again.

Id go a simple 50hz lcd for games and deal with the blur. 32 inch so there is less distance for images to move and smaller blurs. Viewing angle is mostly irrelevant with games. 720p too as games wont be 1080p for years (or ever on xbox :) Of course it will suck for movies.

For movies an easy winner is a huge 1080p Plasma with its blacks, viewing angle and smooth motion (with the rarest trails in action for movies). I wouldnt try to move shooter based ever panning 60fps game images on that huge scale though.

I played a fps from start to finish on torch picture settings on a brand new panasonic and got not 1 second or image retention. Burn in on the newest panels is a myth IMO.

The image doesnt blur on plasma gaming but the trails are killing me ... its a guaranteed headache for me in 10 mins and I NEVER get headaches. The fluro trails are literally nauseating on some games ... Im finding myself calling it a fluro tv instead of plasma tv cause its overpowering. Then I switch back to tv/movies and love it again.

You people aren't making this easy for me.

I've got 2 buddies in the UK and 1 over here with 42 / 50" Plasmas - no LCD's and all 3 are gamers, happy with plasma displays! :( plus the general consensus seems to be plasma is the right choice for gaming. :/

Curse this confusion :/

(Note: I'm a picky bugger so I'd probably notice what you notice)

Id go a simple 50hz lcd for games and deal with the blur. 32 inch so there is less distance for images to move and smaller blurs. Viewing angle is mostly irrelevant with games. 720p too as games wont be 1080p for years (or ever on xbox :) Of course it will suck for movies.

50hz LCD? I'd rather go without plz :)

For movies an easy winner is a huge 1080p Plasma with its blacks, viewing angle and smooth motion (with the rarest trails in action for movies). I wouldnt try to move shooter based ever panning 60fps game images on that huge scale though.

Well I plan to do just that, FPS games, 3'rd person, sidescrolling all proper gaming on a 50" Plasma :( others do it.

I need to take the PS3 / X360 to a store but few let you fiddle.

I hope it was colour saturation too high

Nah colour saturation doesn't fix it, at least it didnt on my PX7A. According to the service tech it's due to "crosstalk" between components on the chip.

I just want a bloody TV.

Don't rush out and buy something, it's not worth it, take your time and keep in mind the price of plasmas is going to be tumbling down soon. Right now is probably the worst time to buy a new model. And when you do buy make sure it's from a store which has a flexible return policy because I can all but guarantee that someone as picky as you is not going to be happy with their first plasma.

Nah colour saturation doesn't fix it, at least it didnt on my PX7A. According to the service tech it's due to "crosstalk" between components on the chip.

Now that explanation I can believe, it didn't look like something with the source material, or quality of the signal, it looked like something specific to the panel itself.

Don't rush out and buy something, it's not worth it, take your time and keep in mind the price of plasmas is going to be tumbling down soon. Right now is probably the worst time to buy a new model. And when you do buy make sure it's from a store which has a flexible return policy because I can all but guarantee that someone as picky as you is not going to be happy with their first plasma.

I purchased a $3200 high end CRT 3 and a half years ago because even then I thought ALL other display technologies were too immature.

I keep reading how much LCD and Plasma have come along and I'm honestly willing to push aside some of my pickyness for a huge TV :) like I said, if the Panasonic had even as stable an image as the Samsung next to it, I would've been completely fine with it but the scatery effect was seriously 3x worse than any other plasma.

I don't think I'll return my first one, I'll be too busy enjoyi

Well I plan to do just that, FPS games, 3'rd person, sidescrolling all proper gaming on a 50" Plasma :( others do it.

I need to take the PS3 / X360 to a store but few let you fiddle.

Do it ... my missus said I should have got myer to set up one of their ps3s on a plasma (they have demos running on LCDs at chatswood.

I call bs on plasma gaming though ... in cod4 and resistance the screen is a panning green fluro inferno as much as it isnt. Even with the settings turned down. Now maybe it gets better after 100-200 hrs???

As for tv viewing forget the flicker or close up sparkles... new plasma is like watching a crt and its really familiar and almost comforting to watch.

The panasonics are incredibly bright though ... like brighter than my bravia even when picture is low. The dim PIO pictures I hate in stores would actually be perfect in a home.

Do it ... my missus said I should have got myer to set up one of their ps3s on a plasma (they have demos running on LCDs at chatswood.

I call bs on plasma gaming though ... in cod4 and resistance the screen is a panning green fluro inferno as much as it isnt. Even with the settings turned down. Now maybe it gets better after 100-200 hrs???

At least 2 people have said it on here, 2 mates of mine in the UK - LCD moves very digitally and jaggedly but plasma has a softer image like a CRT for CRT lovers - at least so I suspected.

As for tv viewing forget the flicker or close up sparkles... new plasma is like watching a crt and its really familiar and almost comforting to watch.

The panasonics are incredibly bright though ... like brighter than my bravia even when picture is low. The dim PIO pictures I hate in stores would actually be perfect in a home.

I swear I've never seen these sparkles, unelss that's another description for the ant effect.

Just for the record, I had a close look at my new 50" 80A and couldn't see any 'fuzzy' effect described in a post yesterday. Maybe my eye sight is just not that great, or maybe the fuzzy effect was a function of that particular set or a side effect of "dynamic" contrast ???

I'm still incrediably happy with my set (albeit after only a few days of ownership) :) :)

Edited by twitch

DSE web site has 46" 800a back to $2549.15

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/G6247

Looking good!

Wow that is a good price! For a guy that came very close to picking up one of DSEs $2500-ish Samsung F8 46" LCDs last week, this is equally tempting. Has anyone read any comparisons on the Full HD Pana 46" plasma against a Sony/Samsung Full HD LCD?

Wow that is a good price! For a guy that came very close to picking up one of DSEs $2500-ish Samsung F8 46" LCDs last week, this is equally tempting. Has anyone read any comparisons on the Full HD Pana 46" plasma against a Sony/Samsung Full HD LCD?

the hd modles from panna is way better than the samsung and sony lcds i can image the full hd is going to be better

Is there going to be a 46" 80a?

Doesn't look very likely.

It's a damn shame there isn't. I think there would be a market for it. 46" is a sweet spot for size, but the Full HD is a bit too expensive (even tho DSEs price is good).

Looks like the 50" 80A is already down to $1,869 at dse

Hey Twitch

Remember you were considering the Sony Bravia 46 inch LCD - well if you like watching football I suggest you go to a store and get them to put the footy on. For any long range shot you will see little footballers surrounded by fuzz whenever they move.

It seems LCD is out if you want sport - then again I've heard its OK for 32 inch and under.

I was almost about to buy the TH50PX80A until I read that it has the anti-glare - so the dull picture I saw at JB was the TV itself (not just the set up !). So now I'm totally confused. I wonder if the TH50PX70A had anti-glare ??? Then again I probably wouldnt be able to find one.

Hey Twitch

Remember you were considering the Sony Bravia 46 inch LCD - well if you like watching football I suggest you go to a store and get them to put the footy on. For any long range shot you will see little footballers surrounded by fuzz whenever they move.

It seems LCD is out if you want sport - then again I've heard its OK for 32 inch and under.

I was almost about to buy the TH50PX80A until I read that it has the anti-glare - so the dull picture I saw at JB was the TV itself (not just the set up !). So now I'm totally confused. I wonder if the TH50PX70A had anti-glare ??? Then again I probably wouldnt be able to find one.

Hi, yes I was tossing up the 46X. I ended up buying a 50PX80A plus a DP-P1 for cheaper than I could get the X even after cash back. I've only watched my 80A in the evening so far, I'll have a chance to look at it over the weekend in daylight and report back. FWIW, the screen is anything but dull in the evening, and from previous postings it seems the 8 series are brighter than the 7's.

"....price of plasmas is going to be tumbling down soon"...can you elaborate on this? Is this an industry thing or is it end of financial year sales / pre olympic sales etc....

..i'm in the market for a 50" plasma, and thinking of the Panasonic 50PX80A or Pioneer 508XDA ...just concerned the rush of people who want to upgrade their TV for the olympic...and what it does to prices and stock availability.

Just went to Myer in the CBD - all the guys were pretty busy with actual buying customers so I couldn't get a remote.

They had their 50" 80a configured terribly, the blacks where brighter than an LCD, good lord!

They had a Samsung 1080p configured well, looked ok.

Unfortunately they were using the Ch.9 HD feed which was just a complete and utter mess, it was wishy washy 'anting' all over the place up close and up to 2 metres away (again, I have bad eyes)

I think at this point, I need to physically take a PS3 / 360 to a store and plug it in.

I'll be damned if I know which store will allow me to do this though, any suggestions in Melbourne?

I never thought I'd say this but I think I much prefer the look of an LCD (when not moving) but the colours and blacks of a plasma.

The 100hz LCD's had this solid solid crisp image - it was great.