New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSE now have the 42" 800 at $3299.00 and the 46" 800 at $3899.00 they've gone back up again.

This is taken from panasonic web site.[Model No: TH-42PZ800A]

RRP: $2,899 [GST Inc.][Model No: TH-46PZ800A]

RRP: $3,299 [GST Inc.]

Wonder why dse has them listed at that price.

Especially if you clearly noticed it, since I'm not considering a cheapie plasma in the 1500 -> 1800$ range - it would suck to have to pony up the extra 500$ for a 100hz model :/

Actually I havent noticed any crt-style refresh rate flicker on any of the cheapies, or any other plasma for that matter.

That's why I am thinking maybe panasonic has added blanking in between frames in order to increase the perceived motion resolution which is causing the flicker in 50hz.

Actually I havent noticed any crt-style refresh rate flicker on any of the cheapies, or any other plasma for that matter.

That's why I am thinking maybe panasonic has added blanking in between frames in order to increase the perceived motion resolution which is causing the flicker in 50hz.

That would be insane and stupid!!!!!!!

Still, sometimes marketing folk think of the dumbest stuff.

Well I just ordered my first set of HDMI cables, I have to cut my Xbox 360 cable up because those idiots designed it so you can't put HDMI in and also digital optical audio at the same time, without buying another special cable - but you can get around it with a knife, so I hear.

I am ordering a TV within a week, I just have to.

That would be insane and stupid!!!!!!!

Still, sometimes marketing folk think of the dumbest stuff.

Well I found there was considerably more motion blur in 100hz mode on the Panasonic 42PX7A. I actually found the Formula 1 @ Monaco difficult to watch in 100hz as it was too blurry. In 50hz it was much better but then the flicker annoyed me.

Im guessing they are adding a blank image briefly in between frames which makes them appear more distinct from one another , increasing motion resolution, but causing flicker :(

Guest sidneyc
This is taken from panasonic web site.[Model No: TH-42PZ800A]

RRP: $2,899 [GST Inc.][Model No: TH-46PZ800A]

RRP: $3,299 [GST Inc.]

Wonder why dse has them listed at that price.

You know what, I think DSE have accidentally put the price for 46 as 42 and the price for 50 as 46 on their web site. So if I've guessed it correctly, then the 50PZ800A would have an RRP of $3899?

I've just been to Wow and JB looking at the TH-50PX80A.

Both of the stores I went to had it for $100 more than the RRP on the Panasonic website! What's the story with that? I guess if you ask for a deal they can give you $100 off straight away ;)

Ok I'm going to cut to the chase here and get this debate underway now, this could be a controversial post.

I just went to JB Melbourne Elizabeth St and saw the following displays

50" Samsung HD Ready Plasma (2100)

50" Panasonic 80a HD Ready (2400$ !!?)

50" Sony XBR LCD

50" Sony ??? LCD (cheaper model, W series?)

50" Soniq HD Ready

50" LG HD Ready

42" LG HD Ready

42" Panasonic HD Ready (8 series)

42" Panasonic Full HD (8 series)

(When I say HD Ready, I mean 1366x768 for 50" and 1024 for 42" - not the full HD model basically)

Obviously I'm at the whim of the stores and how they've configured the displays but here's my analysis.

The Panasonic 50" without any doubt had the best colour and without any doubt the best blacks - I'm very positive of this, it was quite distinct, closest in black was the Samsung and the Sony XBR surprisingly.

The LG had terrible blacks (compared to the others)

Sony XBR was 100hz (as should be the Panasonic??) and was applying some kind of smoothing filter, the motion looked VERY impressive for an LCD, I was just plain shocked, the colours were not as nice as the Pana though but the movement overall was just plain nice.

The major issue is on the Panasonics is there was this weird 'fuzzy' effect going on during still scenes.

It was on every single Panasonic it was actually distinctively appalling, no other display did this mind you.

It was as if the pixels were scattering or jumping when still, the only thing I could think which would cause it is if the colour / saturation was pumped too high?

Honestly it put me off the picture, lovely blacks and colour or not.

You wouldn't likely notice it over 10' away - I stood about 8' away which is how far I'd be from the display at home.

They were playing 'bee movie' and it was not mpg artifacts, other displays did not do it.

To notice it, all I had to do was look at a part of the scene which wasn't moving like a wall in the background or something

Anyone know what this could be? I was very very un-impressed with it, a shame too, I would've ordered a TV tonight if my inspection passed the test.

Seriously leaning towards the 2067$ Samsung now, even if it has less awesome technical bulletpoints

Anyone is welcome to concur with me if you head down to JB Elizabeth St, the little room out the back, chock full of TV's

(Oh one other thing, the layout of the store makes it impossible to hear 'plasma buzz' behind the displays because of how they are mounted and the amount of noise in there)

Sorry about the long post but I am just quite shocked - as a 'monitor' for a gamer or for anyone playing anything but very fast moving stuff, it looked quite nasty and almost cheapish?

- Scott

You should be able to pick up the Pana 50" for less than the price you are saying for the Samsung. The Samsung (i'm assuming you're talking about the "C", but it may be the "Q") you should be able to get for $1700-1800. DSE have the 42" version of that TV for just over a grand, so no way is the 50" version 2 grand.

The major issue is on the Panasonics is there was this weird 'fuzzy' effect going on during still scenes.

It was on every single Panasonic it was actually distinctively appalling, no other display did this mind you.

I've got the 50PX80A and haven't noticed this fuzzy effect you describe, although tonight I'll look carefully. One thing I did find during the initial setup of the TV was it gave an option of whether the TV was for 'home', or for 'shop'. Home means it uses a normal contrast whilst shop uses dynamic contrast (ie high contrast).

BTW, my set has no buzz (or it's so quiet my 40 yo ears can't hear it even while I'm right in front of the set with the sound muted).

Edited by twitch

I've seen something similar when looking closely at a X series Sony. It was if little ants were running around the images. Could not help but look at them once it was first noticed - very distracting. Would doubt that's it's an inherent fault with the pana but maybe a characterictic of digital displays when looked at closely or display setup?

You should be able to pick up the Pana 50" for less than the price you are saying for the Samsung. The Samsung (i'm assuming you're talking about the "C", but it may be the "Q") you should be able to get for $1700-1800. DSE have the 42" version of that TV for just over a grand, so no way is the 50" version 2 grand.

The point is, the Samsung is 2067 'sticker price' at JB and the Panasonic is 2400 sticker price at JB

The issue is, from my perspective, besides the blacks and colours, the Panasonics picture was terribly terribly noisy - it reminded me of the kind of picture I'd expect from a cheapie asian one.

What surprises and frustrates me is it was all 3 of the Pana's - not just a one off.

I've got the 50PX80A and haven't noticed this fuzzy effect you describe, although tonight I'll look carefully

I recommend you don't - once you're happy with a display you should hide away from forums so you don't notice new stuff :) - seriously sometimes you find yourself looking for flaws.

. One thing I did find during the initial setup of the TV was it gave an option of whether the TV was for 'home', or for 'shop'. Home means it uses a normal contrast whilst shop uses dynamic contrast (ie high contrast).

BTW, my set has no buzz (or it's so quiet my 40 yo ears can't hear it even while I'm right in front of the set with the sound muted).

I suspected the contrast thing but damn this almost looked as if some kind of cheap processing chip wasn't refreshing the image fast enough or something.

Be nice if someone who really knew their tech could see the same sets in the Melbourne store.

Seriously considering the 50" Samsung, any known issues? Any missing bulletpoints from the Sammy? does it do most of what the Panasonic does?

I've seen something similar when looking closely at a X series Sony. It was if little ants were running around the images. Could not help but look at them once it was first noticed

Perfect description - but the ants are the same colour as the actual picture or perhaps a close colour - the 100hz XBR had a very crisp solid looking image to me, colour me surprised.

I think I could live with the Samsung but the Panasonic would DEFINITELY give me the niggles pretty quickly as a gamer.

- very distracting. Would doubt that's it's an inherent fault with the pana but maybe a characterictic of digital displays when looked at closely or display setup?

You have just typed precisely what I used to think about LCD / Plasma / DLP for years and precisely why I opted for a HD 100hz CRT years ago, that being said, based on my visit to JB, there's definately 50" displays with pictures good enough (vs a CRT) keeping in mind the size bonus - to match my pickyness.

Something seems all wrong about this, the lauded latest model panasonic effectively had the worst picture there, while for all I know the Samsung on display could be a 2007 model :/

Guest EZYHD

Much of the differences in viewing TV's in stores is what cables they are set up with and what menu adjustments were done. Go to a few stores is best bet to see if any differences.

This flickering / fuzzy image is apity as I am keenly awaiting the full hd pana 800 series release.

Can someone confirm if this effect is also seen on the 700 series or is it just on the new 8 and 80 series ? maybe there is a fault with the new screens.

This flickering / fuzzy image is apity as I am keenly awaiting the full hd pana 800 series release.

Can someone confirm if this effect is also seen on the 700 series or is it just on the new 8 and 80 series ? maybe there is a fault with the new screens.

I am not experiencing any such problem on my new 42PX8A. Picture looks great. You're best off checking the displays out with your own eyes and making a decision.

Much of the differences in viewing TV's in stores is what cables they are set up with and what menu adjustments were done. Go to a few stores is best bet to see if any differences.

Each TV had component in to it and playing obviously the same feed, otherwise I'd agree instantly

Also ONLY the panasonics displayed such a distinct 'ants' effect - each pioneer, 800a 80a and 80a 42" :/

It could be JB just cranking the colour?

This effect is common in flat screen tv's!

Very common - one guy in this thread has already described it perfectly - he's obvoiusly as picky as me.

As an ex CRT lover, and someone who likes a SOLID STILL image (hence my love of 100hz CRT's when they came out) - this shimmery stuff is exactly why I originally convinced myself ALL plasma and LCD's suck (about 4 years ago)

Every time I would go in to a shop to look, the same ants moving / shimmer stuff

Now, I've finally seen flat panels without it - yet the Pana still has it.

People can make all the excuses in the world for the pana all night in here :( the problem is, it was only the 3 panas doing it (very badly) - out of the 15+ TV's I saw :/

W.T.F

DId the stores have it connected via component rather than composite? Could make a reasonable difference. As I said mine looks fine, and I have been dubious about the quality of flat screens for years, that's why I waited until today to finally buy one. I am satisfied with it.

DId the stores have it connected via component rather than composite? Could make a reasonable difference. As I said mine looks fine, and I have been dubious about the quality of flat screens for years, that's why I waited until today to finally buy one. I am satisfied with it.

Big beefy component cables - considering just how good the Sony looked, I'm amazed they can get that kind of output out of the system - it's obviously some pretty high end equipment to output 15+ component signals with that quality.

Sorry about the long post but I am just quite shocked - as a 'monitor' for a gamer or for anyone playing anything but very fast moving stuff, it looked quite nasty and almost cheapish?

- Scott

You will be more shocked with the phosphor lag, games will have yellow and blue trails on high contrast scenes. You may even notice it with regular TV viewing (I do).

Sparkling colours when viewing the screen up close are normal for plasma too.