New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap I just saw a pio 42 inch, panna 42 x7 and x8 side by side on 10 HD oprah ...

panax8 was 10/10 ... sharp and lifelike and black

panax7 9/10 ... noticably softer

Pio 7/10 ... incredibly soft..

Bravia xs looked prety sad in comparison on th same feed.

The interest rate on that deal is ~18%. The application charge is $25 and you have to fill in a bunch of forms and wait for approval. Then you get a hit on your credit record from dodgy bros finance company. Then you can't pay it off in <1 month so you get charged the interest.

Still sound like a good deal?

This interest deal is the best. I guess it is the same everywhere. I did the 32 months interest free

deal at Harvey. Only 1 form to fill, the approve is immediatly. They gave me a GO master card

and charge me $25 upfront, one off. As long as I am still in debt, they 'll charge $2.99 per month

plus $0.50 if I use bPay to make the repayment. I can choose to pay monthly or pay the whole

sum at the end of the interest free period. So if you buy a $5000 plasma, do your math over 4 years:

($3 * 48) + $0.5 + $25 = $169.5 ( extra payment if you pay 1 lump sum by bPay at the end of interest free period )

or

($3.5 * 48) + $25 = $193 ( extra payment if you pay monthly by bPay )

You can put that $5000 into term deposit and lock it for 4 years at 8.5%. This give

$5000 * 8.5% = $1700 (interest) = at %30 tax it becomes $1190

Take away the $193, you still earn $1000

This interest free deal is only worth if you buy stuff over $3000. Less than that, don't bother

just pay cash.

Ok, straight from the press release:

TH-65PZ850A 65-inch Premium Full HD 1080p TBC November

TH-58PZ850A 58-inch Premium Full HD 1080p TBC October

TH-50PZ850A 50-inch Premium Full HD 1080p TBC August

TH-50PZ800A 50-inch Full HD 1080p TBC August

TH-46PZ800A 46-inch Full HD 1080p $3299 July

TH-42PZ800A 42-inch Full HD 1080p $2899 June

TH-50PX80A 50-inch HD $2399 June

TH-42PX80A 42-inch HD $1899 Now

TH-42PX8A 42-inch HD $1699 Now

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/05/panny_br..._australia.html

I've just tentatively ordered a TH50PX80A for $2200 delivered with 5yr warranty.

This is based on a mate of mine buying one as well, hence why i need to go back there this arvo.

Delivery scheduled for tomorrow

HN in Munno Parra - See Craig

Bob

This interest deal is the best. I guess it is the same everywhere. I did the 32 months interest free

deal at Harvey. Only 1 form to fill, the approve is immediatly. They gave me a GO master card

and charge me $25 upfront, one off. As long as I am still in debt, they 'll charge $2.99 per month

plus $0.50 if I use bPay to make the repayment. I can choose to pay monthly or pay the whole

sum at the end of the interest free period. So if you buy a $5000 plasma, do your math over 4 years:

($3 * 48) + $0.5 + $25 = $169.5 ( extra payment if you pay 1 lump sum by bPay at the end of interest free period )

or

($3.5 * 48) + $25 = $193 ( extra payment if you pay monthly by bPay )

You can put that $5000 into term deposit and lock it for 4 years at 8.5%. This give

$5000 * 8.5% = $1700 (interest) = at %30 tax it becomes $1190

Take away the $193, you still earn $1000

This interest free deal is only worth if you buy stuff over $3000. Less than that, don't bother

just pay cash.

Hi, I'm not sure if you missed that the digitalcentre deal is not interest free. I agree with the maths you have there, I'm just saying it doesn't apply to the digitalcentre "promo" price.

Hi, I'm not sure if you missed that the digitalcentre deal is not interest free. I agree with the maths you have there, I'm just saying it doesn't apply to the digitalcentre "promo" price.

Oops, I did really miss that. I thought it is 4 year interest free.

That's why their promo pice is so cheap. Thank for pointing it out.

For the record, I've just ordered a 50PX80A to be delivered on Monday :) Can't wait, it's going to be quite a step up from the old CRT. I ordered it through webprice who happen to be local and I liked the sound of the 2 guys I spoke to on the phone. None were in stock in the local B&M stores so it's a sight unseen cross fingers and hope kind of purchase, not the thing I usually do for a ~$2k purchase.

Edit: I should add a big thanks to this great forum, and thanks to those who took the time to answer my noob questions :)

Edited by twitch

120hz is US.

So? :(

I have multiple devices which output at 60hz, therefore 120hz would be kickass.

Infact! What the heck happens when I hook up my Xbox 1 and it ONLY does 60hz out? @ 1280x720 or 1920x1080? :/

My PS3 is ONLY 50hz (GRRRRRRRRRR) and my X360 is 50 or 60.

So? :(

I have multiple devices which output at 60hz, therefore 120hz would be kickass.

Infact! What the heck happens when I hook up my Xbox 1 and it ONLY does 60hz out? @ 1280x720 or 1920x1080? :/

My PS3 is ONLY 50hz (GRRRRRRRRRR) and my X360 is 50 or 60.

I think even the 7 series are 120hz frame doubling as there was absolutely no flicker on 60hz video on the 7A. There was no option for it in the menu though, only when the signal was 50hz did the option appear for "100hz", and in that case I had to turn it off to get flicker on 50hz.

Wouldnt worry about your xbox doing 60hz only, all panasonics have been 60hz compatible for quite a while.

As for the PS3 I thought the games all ran in 60hz now that they're HD?

$1000 for a px80 is a long way off.

I meant cost price as in what it costs the retailer, I shouldve said trade price or something similar. Anyway I am betting it costs them around the $1000 mark, please correct me if I am wrong.

Just had my 50PX80A delivered this morning.

Had to get back to work unfortunately so i'll have to wait until later to see what it's like.

Can't quite believe i'm going to say this next bit, but i've been really impressed with Hardly Normal so far!!

Bob

I think even the 7 series are 120hz frame doubling as there was absolutely no flicker on 60hz video on the 7A. There was no option for it in the menu though, only when the signal was 50hz did the option appear for "100hz", and in that case I had to turn it off to get flicker on 50hz.

Actually from your post, it sounds like the 50hz stuff it doubles and 60hz runs at 60 or a box saying 120hz would pop up.

Wouldnt worry about your xbox doing 60hz only, all panasonics have been 60hz compatible for quite a while.

As for the PS3 I thought the games all ran in 60hz now that they're HD?

Sony have opted for 50hz output in PAL territories, I too used to think with HD we'd solved the differences from country to country but no, 50hz 720p / 1080i here and 60hz there.

Some smart people (microsoft) offer both on the 360, Sony do not at all :/

Edited by scottylans

Actually from your post, it sounds like the 50hz stuff it doubles and 60hz runs at 60 or a box saying 120hz would pop up.

Well that could be true but do you think that an extra 10hz would be the difference between flicker and a rock solid image? It could be I guess....some tube tv's flicker at 50hz but not at 60hz.

Sony have opted for 50hz output in PAL territories, I too used to think with HD we'd solved the differences from country to country but no, 50hz 720p / 1080i here and 60hz there.

Some smart people (microsoft) offer both on the 360, Sony do not at all :/

That totally sucks! I cant believe they would force us to play games in 50hz again, they are just horrible at that speed, feels so slow.

Are you absolutely sure theres no way to switch games into 60hz mode?

Well that could be true but do you think that an extra 10hz would be the difference between flicker and a rock solid image? It could be I guess....some tube tv's flicker at 50hz but not at 60hz.

That totally sucks! I cant believe they would force us to play games in 50hz again, they are just horrible at that speed, feels so slow.

Are you absolutely sure theres no way to switch games into 60hz mode?

On the Xbox 360, when you chose a new resolution it asks you if you see it correctly- at 50hz, then a second time it asks you again at 60hz (at least, I'm pretty sure it does)

On the PS3 it asks you once and it flickers like a bastard on my HD CRT (especially 1080i @ 50hz)

I used to think 1080i was crap but when I found out my 360 does 1080i 60hz - I realised 1080i isn't so bad after all.

For that damned matter, Sony don't do 480p in Australia! They do 576p ONLY - they are just kind of naive assume that all PAL regions ONLY have pal capable hardware, in reality most pal devices do NTSC as well.

Flicker is a CRT issue, the screen pixels need to be “refreshed” often to control flicker due to the line scanning system employed by CRT’s.

Plasma’s use pulse width modulation to control the brightness of their pixels and each pixel is pulsed hundreds if not thousands of times per second so flicker is not an issue.

LCD’s use a constant backlight and cannot flicker, no matter what the frame rate.

Flicker is a CRT issue, the screen pixels need to be “refreshed” often to control flicker due to the line scanning system employed by CRT’s.

Plasma’s use pulse width modulation to control the brightness of their pixels and each pixel is pulsed hundreds if not thousands of times per second so flicker is not an issue.

That's exactly what I thought too, until I got a Panasonic plasma which to my surprise flickered exactly like a CRT unless you set it to 100hz , in which case you get a rock solid image. There was also no flickering whatsoever on 60hz video.

Care to offer an explanation? Is it possible they have added blanking in between frames in 50hz mode to increase the motion resolution (I did notice 50hz had less motion blur than 100hz)?

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/G6248

well dick smith has the price of the 50' 800 now at $3,654, when a week ago it had $4299...

very good sign...

If DSE has it for 3.6 you can be sure the reasonable places will do at least 10% cheaper than that, I'm going to assume all Panasonics are only 1 year warranty though, so it's more if you want to protect your investment?

That's exactly what I thought too, until I got a Panasonic plasma which to my surprise flickered exactly like a CRT unless you set it to 100hz , in which case you get a rock solid image. There was also no flickering whatsoever on 60hz video.

Care to offer an explanation? Is it possible they have added blanking in between frames in 50hz mode to increase the motion resolution (I did notice 50hz had less motion blur than 100hz)?

This kind of news is confusing and frustrating, I was also under the impression that both LCD and Plasma didn't 'need' 100hz or 120hz, none the less people are including it in their products, I can only guess this means it is needed to some extent.

Especially if you clearly noticed it, since I'm not considering a cheapie plasma in the 1500 -> 1800$ range - it would suck to have to pony up the extra 500$ for a 100hz model :/