New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

I think I am pretty much settled on getting a 50" PX80a. I sit about 2.2-2.5m from the TV so 50" should be optimal. I did consider a 42" but after reading a lot of threads, it seems the bigger the better!

I'll be watching far more movies and TV than gaming (I don't own a console yet) but would this TV be ok for say a Nintendo Wii or PS3? I have it in my head that an LCD is better for gaming.

There is so much choice out there but after reading some reviews, I reckon Plasma is the way forward for me.

PS. Seriously, should I try and save the extra for a 46" or 50" PZ800 or are these for people who can discern differences in picture quality or with Blu-Ray players?

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd post here as well as the "how much you pay" thread.

Seems like the big retailers are getting these in properly now. Good Guys Alexandria have store floor price for the 42PX8A at $1448 (apparently not much room available on that price though). Have one of these set up in my bedroom now. Looks good so far - immediately much superior to my old M61 Samsung LCD & actual near blacks rather than backlight-bleeding grey. Now to get all the settings right!

I'd let your own eyes make an opinion for you, Stinhambo, although finding a store display that recreates your home setup may be difficult. I suspect the opinions I read in these threads are quite honest, but they're also very subjective. Some are easily swayed by the specs of an expensive screen, while others think a cheaper one with lesser specs is equal through the Mk I eyeball.

I guess I'm a plasma fan, but I did think a few expensive LCDs were very good though not big enough. More recently though I would concede many cheaper brands have caught up to the better plasmas and LCDs, at least through my eyes and considering my viewing position/habits. Some good LCDs would most certainly be on my short list and I'd have to do some serious browsing through stores if I was buying a big screen now. There's always a compromise somewhere no matter which technology you choose.

Well I have my transfer date for 6 weeks from today. Is there any chance I could get a 58" PZ800 before I go or is that going to be a massive longshot?

not a chance. those pz800s will i think be the last model of the panas to be released. aug/sept maybe.

definately the one to watch out for tho : P

Hi all,

this is my first post at this forum. I do apologise if my post is not appropriate.

I am in the market for flat panel since few weeks ago after my reliable CRT TV turning to purple, red, and green colour like a dart board. I was still uncertain to buy LCD of plasma and it brought me to visit many electronic stores at eastern Melbourne area. My main purpose is just FTA contents and few DVD viewing.

The sort list then:

a. Samsung LA40M81BDX

b. Panasonic TH-42PX80A

c. Panasonic TH-42PZ700a

I can't go bigger than 42" since my lounge room is not big enough. My lounge room got a lot of windows and very bright, so I suspect reflections become another issue. Full HD is not mandatory feature but its a big bonus, I don't want to buy another flat screen in the next few years when Blue Ray DVD becomes main stream.

I put Sammy on the list because its clarity, non reflecting screen, less power consumption, and full HD, but the sound quality is not so great, a lot of opinions that LCD is not there yet for TV and movies.

Pana 80a, it has better colour and clarity compare to 70a and cheaper compare to M1BDX and PZ700a. But, it does not have full HD, reflective screen. I went to see this model to JB Hifi and found the reflections from ceiling lights was quite annoying.

Pana PZ700a, its full HD and non-reflective screen give extra credit. But I did not so impressed with its clarity and colour, when it sat next to Bravia W series, PZ700a picture quality far below Sony. So I am hoping next PZ800 will better.

I still can't make decision between three of those which one I should buy. Any though please?

I rang to a friend of mine who works for Clive Peters, I can get Pana 80a for $1450-ish, but I need to wait for a couple of weeks. Pana 700a may be I can get it for $1850-ish but the stock is very rare. He informed me as well that PZ800 will be available on June 18, and the list price is about $3400, please take it with a grain of salt.

I think PZ800 will be out of my budget. Does anybody know if Pana PX85 will be available at Aussie?

I am pending my purchase until next model of Pana available.

Thanks

It will be at least end of June, early July.

I can deal with that, probably take that long to move the CRT anyhow.

Anyone know if these 800u reviews are useless? (different actual panels?) or will the 800u reviews be of some relevance to the 800a unit?

Panasonic To Launch Web Enabled Plasma

Some excerpts

It is expected that the Japanese Company who are the market leader in plasma TV sales in Australia will roll out a new version of their Viera HDTV range for 2008, including the 46-inch TH-46PZ80 plasma and the 37-inch TC-37LZ800.

Another interesting feature that could be announced in their top-end plasmas is IP-enabled TV, letting people watch YouTube videos and access other websites (e.g. photo-sharing site Picasa) directly from their TVs. Meanwhile, the LCD Viera range boasts a native contrast ratio of 1200:1.

While we have not offically been told the sizes that Panasonic will push running into the Olympics we suspect four models - the 46in TH-46PZ850, the 50in TH-50PZ850, the 58in TH-58PZ850 and a monstrous 65in TH-65PZ850.

Just wondering, I see that there is a TH-58PZ850 and an 800 model. Are they both the same with the 850 being the american model or are both models for the Australian market?

Don't quote me but I think there's an 800 and an 850 in the US - the 850 has some kind of internet or web stuff, it's the ultra deluxe I guess and I don't think it's coming out here.

Don't quote me but I think there's an 800 and an 850 in the US - the 850 has some kind of internet or web stuff, it's the ultra deluxe I guess and I don't think it's coming out here.

Typical hey, us Aussies always miss out on the good stuff or we get it 10 years after the rest of the world

Typical hey, us Aussies always miss out on the good stuff or we get it 10 years after the rest of the world

Don't jump to conclusions just yet...nobody seems to know exactly which of the higher end models we will get ;)

I picked up the pan 42" px80 for $1550 at meyers and it was the first one the local myers had sold.

Hi trognierrrr,

I tried to send you a PM but couldn't.

Can I have a copy of receipt, please? :-)

My email: sontoloyo3 at gmail dot com

Thanks

Sonto

Edited by sontoloyo

Anyone know what the cost price is on the 42PX80? I'm guessing it's around the $1000 mark?

That's definitely NOT an Interest Free deal.

The website says "no deposit 4 years to pay". Even still, I wouldn't enter into such a contract.

Edited by pneu

yeah i wonder what the 'fees and charges apply to outstanding balance' means haha

it wouldnt be bad though if you wanted to just get it and pay it off over 2 mths or something..i dont mind it if theres no exit/early payment fees

The interest rate on that deal is ~18%. The application charge is $25 and you have to fill in a bunch of forms and wait for approval. Then you get a hit on your credit record from dodgy bros finance company. Then you can't pay it off in <1 month so you get charged the interest.

Still sound like a good deal?

Anyone know what the cost price is on the 42PX80? I'm guessing it's around the $1000 mark?

The website says "no deposit 4 years to pay". Even still, I wouldn't enter into such a contract.

$1000 for a px80 is a long way off.

the best price for the 7a is just under that.

the best price i have for a 80a is $1489.

best price for 8a is $1345

i also live in country nsw, so this is only a online price.

Edited by weewaa

I just saw the TH-50PX80A up and running at JB brand new out of the box as i walked in.My first impression is a really nice tv.The picture with Rush Hour 3 playing was stunning and made the 58" Samsung 1080p model beside it look very ordinary indeed.Black levels are the best i've seen outside of a Pio and as the 508XDA seem to be sold out everywhere this is the next logical choice.One thing is for sure,all thoughts i had of buying a LX508A have evaporated if i can get one of these babies for half the price :D