New Panasonic 8 Series Plasmas - Cheaper?!?!

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I hope they are actually sub $2k when released. For $2249 it's not much of a jump to the $2650 people are paying for the Pioneer 508XDA.

They are not even here yet. Wait until they land and you'll soon see some real price dropping. But if you are comparing it to a Pio XDA, I'd go the Pio. The Panasonic is only playing catchup with the new model.

Yeah, if it's not $2,000 and below, I might as well get Pioneer one since it's really all the TV I can ask for. Well unless for some reason this entry level PX80 can miraculously match (or at least come very close to) the performance of Kuro...

Picture performance taken out of the equation, the Panasonics have some nice features like EPG support, fast channel changes and don't suffer from the SBS resync issue, but if your comparing 768p screens, then the Pioneer is hard to go past....when you include 5 year warranty, wall mount delivery and installation.

Picture performance taken out of the equation, the Panasonics have some nice features like EPG support, fast channel changes and don't suffer from the SBS resync issue, but if your comparing 768p screens, then the Pioneer is hard to go past....when you include 5 year warranty, wall mount delivery and installation.

What is actually fast channel change? How slow is it to change channel in Pioneer?

If you haven't experienced channel changes on DTV, they are longer than analogue. Whereas analogue was almost instantaneous, DTV takes about a second or so between channel changes for the next channel picture to appear on a good unit. The Pioneer tuner is a little slower ~3 secs. You can get around this if you watch TV through a PVR/DVR. It's not a big issue, but just takes getting used to.

Guest Tawny
They are not even here yet. Wait until they land and you'll soon see some real price dropping. But if you are comparing it to a Pio XDA, I'd go the Pio. The Panasonic is only playing catchup with the new model.

Looking at either the Pio XDA or waiting for the Pana PX80 - 1st HDTV and I'm new to this.

Will mainly use for SD content - FTA and SD DVD and I sit about 2.6M (8-9') away. Not planning on Bluray or other HD sources at this point.

2 questions:

1. Re: playing catchup - would a good strategy be to wait until release of PX80 and then decide whether it has caught up sufficiently to warrant a buy? Best prices I have seen in SA for Pio 8s is 42" $2,696 50" $2,999. Appears 42" PX80 will be around $1.7k and 50" $2.3k - $700 saving (I assume some Pio 8s will still be around - I'm in no hurry).
  2. Given primarily SD viewing at 2.6M I assume 42" would be more than adequate (although I note the disparity in comments regarding screen sizes and distances in this forum and other places) - any help with 42" or 50" choice for my situation?

Thanks

I posted this in another panny thread, thought i'd post it here aswell.

I went to Harvey Norman(Burnie. Tas) today and they said they should be expecting the 50px80's any day now, they also mentioned a price of $3500, but that the price wasn't final... I sure hope not. The 7 series has been completely wiped off the database and it's all 8 series from here on.

They also mentioned they are expecting the new Samsung LCD's any day aswell, one of the models he mentioned was the a550 if anyone's interested.

We will be seeing alot of new Tv's in May.

Hey guys,

Just ordered my TH-50PZ800A. Delivery Early to late July.

I personally don;t mind that the other models will not get here - this will be a fair leap from current imho.

Can't wait :)

Cheers

Brad

Can we ask how much you paid for it?

Guest seaney1503561960

A mate of mine went into HN's here in Mildura this week and they gave him a price of $2400 for the th42px80a!! that doesnt really line up with anything ive seen on here, or on the electricdiscounters.com.au, am i missing something? RRP isnt even that high is it?

Looking at either the Pio XDA or waiting for the Pana PX80 - 1st HDTV and I'm new to this.

Will mainly use for SD content - FTA and SD DVD and I sit about 2.6M (8-9') away. Not planning on Bluray or other HD sources at this point.

2 questions:

1. Re: playing catchup - would a good strategy be to wait until release of PX80 and then decide whether it has caught up sufficiently to warrant a buy? Best prices I have seen in SA for Pio 8s is 42" $2,696 50" $2,999. Appears 42" PX80 will be around $1.7k and 50" $2.3k - $700 saving (I assume some Pio 8s will still be around - I'm in no hurry).
  2. Given primarily SD viewing at 2.6M I assume 42" would be more than adequate (although I note the disparity in comments regarding screen sizes and distances in this forum and other places) - any help with 42" or 50" choice for my situation?

Tough call, but the Pio is currently great value at street prices of ~$2700. Don't forget this includes 5 year factory warranty as well as choice of stand or wall mount, plus delivery and installation. If you are going to buy extended warranty and wall mount the Panasonic, the difference in price is almost negligible. Be aware there are some niggling issues with the Pio Tuner ATM, but the Panasonic seems to be a well sorted unit.

I would go the 50" over the 42" even at that distance. My viewing distance is about 3m, and my 50" just doesn't look big enough anymore :(

A mate of mine went into HN's here in Mildura this week and they gave him a price of $2400 for the th42px80a!! that doesnt really line up with anything ive seen on here, or on the electricdiscounters.com.au, am i missing something? RRP isnt even that high is it?

Well RRP on the 42PX70 is only $1999, so yeah either they're ripping you off OR they messed up and quoted something else (maybe the 1080p model? 42PZ800?)

Guest seaney1503561960

well thats what i thought...but they were adamant that it was the px...im calling bulls*** but anyway, wont be buying from em

• 2 weeks later...