Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
suldaman

Playtv

Recommended Posts

What really stands out, and works in the PlayTV's favour is ....

...it's pedigree in terms of the tuner/demodualtor that it should have in it.

This comes from DiBcom, a key player in the design of leading edge chipsets.

There are many products that have DiBcom chipsets in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Curious about that myself! Or whether you can just update the software as per the normal method and it will include the australian features? (fingers crossed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FInally got my playTV from UK today, very happy except for one small issue,

The EPG is set to GMT+0:00 (9.5 hours out of sync for SA) and cannot be changed (even by changing the ps3 system clock).

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, or if it has been fixed with an update.

Unfortunately for me, i cannot get broadband where i am, so it looks like i'll be sitting on version 1.00 for a while :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The time sync issue was fixed with the update of playtv, so you need to find a way to hook your ps3 up to the net and update it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


The time sync issue was fixed with the update of playtv, so you need to find a way to hook your ps3 up to the net and update it.

Thanks, looks like ill have to hook it up at a relatives house.

Does anyone know if you have to have playTV hooked up to an antenna when updating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the comments on the PS3 PlayTV Blog:

Posted on June 25th, 2009 at 1:19 pm by Mark Bunting

Scott, thanks for the post, UHF scanning will be fixed too.

The tuners are capable of HD but this is actually done in the software and we have no plans to change the hardware as you have said it works well on MPEG-2 (in the UK it is MPEG-2 at the moment) and we are perfecting it for MPEG-4.

Michael is correct but there may have been some information lost in translation, the work to ensure that HD works consistently well in all modes needs to be done for each country as broadcasters are different (even in the same country) so what he was inferring is that we will test HD in Australia and optimise it for there.

For example, one of the broadcasters use progressive playback and this is not done anywhere else so we need to make a change to ensure that PlayTV handles that correctly.

The stuttering that you get is also caused by the significant amounts of data carried by MPEG-2 HD (MPEG-4 HD carries less) so we need to get that to the HDD properly and we are in the process of testing the work we have done to reduce the stuttering.

Cheers

Mark

Posted on June 25th, 2009 at 1:21 pm by Mark Bunting

D4RhR4in, I have put more detail in the reply to Scott @176, so in summary for you the answer is we have no plans to change the hardware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My PlayTV has arrived from GAME UK today in the post... took just over a week to arrive. Paid 60.95GBP incl postage. Looking forward to getting it installed and up and running, but I think I'll wait until the 500GB PS3 HDD upgrade I have ordered arrives :) Hardly any space left on the 40GB drive right now!

Great news regarding Australian release (and I guess FW) in the 4th QTR too... ^_^

Cheers,

Doc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


No release date, but they are now saying to be released in time for Xmas this year...

He [sony Computer Entertainment Australia chief Michael Ephraim] said the local firm also plans to launch the Sony PlayTV, an HD-capable personal video recorder that plugs into the PS3, before Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone want to buy my Playtv, ordered from Game, I live in the not compatible area and it can not scan in channels (wish i had of checked this before hand).

$125 firm. Cheers Dean, pm me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know the latest goss on whether or not the UK PlayTV will be able to have, or is getting, a software update so it will work properly in OZ? I read that the hardware in the Oz release will be the same as the UK's so there's a 99% chance it will... but that other 1% is holding me back!

Edited by jmtheo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Has anyone got one of these who lives on the goldcoast working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Has anyone got one of these who lives on the goldcoast working?

It won't work on the Gold Coast. Unless you can pick up a signal from Brisbane...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Does anyone know the latest goss on whether or not the UK PlayTV will be able to have, or is getting, a software update so it will work properly in OZ? I read that the hardware in the Oz release will be the same as the UK's so there's a 99% chance it will... but that other 1% is holding me back!

It is the same hardware. Sony don't appear to be in the habit of releasing regional versions anymore. 99.9% certain an update will appear 'soon'.

Edited by boric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with the pound now around 55p there is no excuse for those that cant be arsed waiting for the aussie version!

probably like $120 delivered now...:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno, it's either early-mid 2010 along with the HD video store download service or its not coming at all :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that set in concrete like the rumoured release for the Beijing Olympics in 2008? :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is that set in concrete like the rumoured release for the Beijing Olympics in 2008? :ninja:

...and the UK one is still giving me stress free recordings!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the next firmware meant to fix up the UHF issue anyway? I'd guess that once they fix the issue and release the firmware they'll look at shipping to Aus soon after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...