Playtv

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yer I know 3 shows a week isnt really using it. Whats the most you can fit on say 30GB then, seems that would be a safe size to say whats left on my HD allowing for 5GB spare

All depends on what you record. SD or HD? Go! or ABC? PlayTV just records what is broadcast, it doesn't recompress. Each channel has a different bitrate and therefore each program takes a different amount of disk space. Go! and ABC2 take the least space. You could record 15+ hours of Go! in 30GB. Or only about 4 hours of 7HD if you also add buffering to the start and end of a show.

so say I wanted to record channel 7 HD Movie. I cant select it to record in SD, it will only record in HD correct?

That's right. But as 7 SD and 7HD are now the same you could just choose to record that movie on 7 SD.

As far as I can tell, there is no longer anything broadcast in HD only in Australia so you always have the SD option. And of course more and more content is SD only.

Edited by boric

If it records HD, I'll probably pick one up.

Will need a 500G Hard Drive and a splitter. 2 tuners in the PlayTV and 3 tuners in the IQ2. Use the PlayTV for free-to-air and IQ2 for payTV. Too bad, we can't upgrade the drive in the IQ2.

Pick up a Slim when my fatboy dies, and I'll have bitstreaming HD Audio. Pretty lights on my receiver. Pretty....

It's all good.

Thank you SONY!!!

Edited by auswoffer

You can't watch TV through the PS3 using the PlayTV device can you?

I still need to have my Digital Top Set Box to watch digital channels through my TV?

Yes of course you can! LOL that's what PlayTV is, it's a STB/PVR for the PS3.

No you dont need a seperate STB, just plug your arieal cable in to the playtv and your away!

Yes of course you can! LOL that's what PlayTV is, it's a STB/PVR for the PS3.

No you dont need a seperate STB, just plug your arieal cable in to the playtv and your away!

That's amazing. So I can use my PS3 for playing BluRay movies, Play PS3 games, and now I can even use my Ps3 to watch all the digital channels and even record programs onto the PS3 HD??????? This is incredible.

can you use an external hdd to record onto or will i need to upgrade my internal ps3 40gb hdd?

you can only record to the internal ps3 HDD, but im pretty sure you can move those recordings to an external HDD

for those of you who are looking to pick this unit up, keep in mind that you have to power the PS3 on each time you want to set timers, or watch any recordings you made or watch live TV (unless you have a working aerial splitter and can watch DTV through the tv)

it takes around 2 minutes to get playtv running and you have to select it from the XMB each time. there is no auto launch for play tv.

i had a UK unit for a day and i sold it, and will be buying a dedicated PVR instead that can record 2 HD channels at once and has barely any startup time. Also the picture quality of the PlayTV is noticeably worse than my built in tuner. hopefully the aussie version will be better than the UK version.

oh another issue is that i had to turn on my receiver each time to get playTV audio becasue the ps3, being my blu ray player is hooked up to the receiver.

a dedicated PVR can connect straight to the tv and use the tv speakers.

Edited by darockk

you can only record to the internal ps3 HDD, but im pretty sure you can move those recordings to an external HDD

for those of you who are looking to pick this unit up, keep in mind that you have to power the PS3 on each time you want to set timers, or watch any recordings you made or watch live TV (unless you have a working aerial splitter and can watch DTV through the tv)

it takes around 2 minutes to get playtv running and you have to select it from the XMB each time. there is no auto launch for play tv.

i had a UK unit for a day and i sold it, and will be buying a dedicated PVR instead that can record 2 HD channels at once and has barely any startup time. Also the picture quality of the PlayTV is noticeably worse than my built in tuner. hopefully the aussie version will be better than the UK version.

oh another issue is that i had to turn on my receiver each time to get playTV audio becasue the ps3, being my blu ray player is hooked up to the receiver.

a dedicated PVR can connect straight to the tv and use the tv speakers.

If you set the region to 'Australia' it won't let you export recordings, but you can change your region to 'other', export, then change back to 'Australia'. Personally, I've never exported anything, just watch and delete.

Don't know if PQ has improved since the version you used, but I see no difference on PlayTV vs the Digital STB I was using before (45" 720p).

With a recent PS3 firmware update, you can now have multiple audio outputs, so you can connect via HDMI to a receiver for Blu-Ray watching, and via standard Red/White audio cables to the TV for PlayTV. This of course depends on which video output is being used, if using HDMI and using the receiver to switch inputs, you'll still need the receiver on.

Good point, I have a HD settop box in my media room and my tv in the living room has one built in so shuoldnt be an issue for me

Also the picture quality of the PlayTV is noticeably worse than my built in tuner. hopefully the aussie version will be better than the UK version.

Really? I would of thought that if anything you could improve the SD content by using the PS3's upscaling abilities.

Can anyone confirm the image quality from playtv? will the PS3 upscale SD content?

will the PS3 upscale SD content?

Yes, PlayTV has it's own SD upscaling routines (which Sony have recently upgraded). Upscaled SD is surprisingly good.

PlayTV picture quality is very good. For HD channels it is identical to my TVs inbuilt tuner, for SD it's better (depends how good your TV is at upscaling of course).

Guest clay_tone

Launching PlayTV from the XMB menu should not take 2 minutes - it takes around 15 seconds for me.

I find the image quality as good as the Beyonwiz HD-PVR via HDMI on a 46" LCD, for both SD & HD material.

Using the remote play function of the PSP & PS3 I can view recordings, set timers etc anywhere in the house using the home network, and anywhere in the world with a wi-fi connection, with suprisingly good results.

Using the remote play function of the PSP & PS3 I can view recordings, set timers etc anywhere in the house using the home network, and anywhere in the world with a wi-fi connection, with suprisingly good results.

Clay_tone, can you stream content from the PS3 HDD to a PC - eg if I store all my music on the PS3 HDD, can I play it back on my PC also????

Clay_tone, can you stream content from the PS3 HDD to a PC - eg if I store all my music on the PS3 HDD, can I play it back on my PC also????

No. At least not officially. There was a 'open remote play' hack floating about but I understand that was blocked by a firmware upgrade.

Edited by boric

So is the Australian version PlayTV exactly the same as the one from UK?? I am still thinking whether I should pre-order it from Game for $149 or import from UK.........the main issue would be warranty as if I import from UK.......its not covered in Aust for warranty if anything gone wrong. Also, do I just turn my PS3 to standby (red light) and the Playtv would turn my PS3 on once my recording commences?? Just wanna make sure.......thanks !! Which RF splitter you guys using ?