Can someone help please.

I originally posted this on the LX508 thread but I thought I'd post again for you that don't read the Pioneer topics with the hope you can help.

I'm getting some weird artifacts on my LX508. I have posted pics here (end of thread):

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=25223&st=0

I have 3 issues with pics to demonstrate them:

1. Lips seems to break out into horizontal lines when someone on-screen talk to camera. Combing? This doesn't happen all the time but notice it mainly on CH7 and SBS.

2. Macro blocking?? Not sure of the term. Happens rarely but have captured it on camera.

3. Rolling news text at bottom of screen breaks into horizontal lines randomly.

I have fired up my AE700 projector this morning to test and I'm NOT getting these artifacts on that, especially the rolling text one.

I'm using the USER settings at the moment that have been tweaked. If I change to Optimum mode the rolling text issue dissapears.

I've run out of ideas? Surely there must be a setting that will fix this.

Can one of you guys see if you are getting this effect while watching TODAY or SUNRISE?

This happens on both the Toppfield PVR and Internal tuner and only while on OPTIMUM setting, on USER it's fine.

cheers

Edited by thudabot

yeah the ones at the end of thread names 1. 2. 3.

the biggest concern at the moment is the scrolling text lines at the bottomof news shows, image 3.

sorry i'm not at home at the moment but where can i change "i-p mode"??

• 2 months later...
That to me looks like it's just weaving two interlaced fields together to produce the frame.

have to bring this topic up again as i'm still seeing these artefacts.

ch 010 (10 SD) during 5pm news shows it now, i have seen it on SBS etc.

i use the internal tuner 90 % of the time for viewing.

would it have anything to do with the panel being 1080p and being able to show more pixels therefore showing more of the crap broadcast quality?

i have not seen this interlacing / combing whatever it is on any other brand panel that i have watched - friends, family etc all 720p plasmas

I have 3 issues with pics to demonstrate them:

1. Lips seems to break out into horizontal lines when someone on-screen talk to camera. Combing? This doesn't happen all the time but notice it mainly on CH7 and SBS.

2. Macro blocking?? Not sure of the term. Happens rarely but have captured it on camera.

3. Rolling news text at bottom of screen breaks into horizontal lines randomly.

I have fired up my AE700 projector this morning to test and I'm NOT getting these artifacts on that, especially the rolling text one.

I'm using the USER settings at the moment that have been tweaked. If I change to Optimum mode the rolling text issue dissapears.

I've run out of ideas? Surely there must be a setting that will fix this.

Can one of you guys see if you are getting this effect while watching TODAY or SUNRISE?

This happens on both the Toppfield PVR and Internal tuner and only while on OPTIMUM setting, on USER it's fine.

You appear to be saying that if use OPTIMUM there is no horizontally scrolling text issue for your Kuro (issue 3). And that if you use USER, the two other issues (1 and 2) disappear.

Perhaps there is a setting under USER that will also fix your issue 3.

I'd note that your picture 1_low.jpg shows gross failure of deinterlacing. Unless that was due to a temporary problem at the broadcaster end, your set was wrongly adjusted or faulty. It is less likely your set is faulty than that you haven't got the settings right!

Someone (brisvegas1) has already mentioned the 'i-p' mode. Have you been able to change that setting? Perhaps owners of these sets could provide further suggestions.

have to bring this topic up again as i'm still seeing these artefacts.

ch 010 (10 SD) during 5pm news shows it now, i have seen it on SBS etc.

i use the internal tuner 90 % of the time for viewing.

would it have anything to do with the panel being 1080p and being able to show more pixels therefore showing more of the crap broadcast quality?

i have not seen this interlacing / combing whatever it is on any other brand panel that i have watched - friends, family etc all 720p plasmas

With problem 1 the TV is weaving the interlaced fields from the TV boradcast. It is essentially performing no deinterlacing. If you watch a fast motion sport such as AFL the effects of weaving will be far more obvious with sawtooth effects everywhere.

More info on deinterlacing in the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

to update the thread:

MLXXX - thanks mate I have solved the scrolling text by turning Text optimisation ON

I'm using the best settings I have found on these forums and from AVS.

The deinterlacing problem is still there and it seems to be more prevalant on the SD channels.

I've posted about this in numerous sections.

I'm just not getting any feedback here about other users experiencing this on this model or other 1080p panels and how to fix it. Lots of guys are telling me what it is.

I want to know:

1. Is there anything can be done to get rid of this interlacing if the broadcast is crap to begin with?

2. Are 1080p panels more receptive to this problem?

3. Can blocking be minimised or eliminated through the settings?

1. Is there anything can be done to get rid of this interlacing if the broadcast is crap to begin with?

If the material was captured by a television camera at standard definition of 720x576i50 and then put to air as 720x576i then the TV ought to be able to deinterlace it and not give you an image such as your 1_low.jpg

It seems your set might have a problem. What i-p mode have you selected?

If the material was captured at 720x576i50 but then broadcast in a higher resoution format such as 1920x1080i then there are three processes required at the broadcast end:

a. De-interlace the 576i50 to 576p50

b. Upscale it to 1080p50

c. Re-interlace it to 1080i50

Step 'a' should be done at high quality by the broadcaster.

However, if something were to go wrong and the broadcaster makes a mess of the processing, a TV will probably not be able to do much about it. This situation should not arise in the first place!

2. Are 1080p panels more receptive to this problem?

As I say, the problem shouldn't arise. If the broadcast is at 576i50, any late model Australian released TV should be able to deinterlace correctly and display a good picture. 1080p panels should be able to do this as well as, say, the 1366x768 panels.

If the broadcaster makes a mistake in the processing it is hard to predict which sets could correct it. But there is no reason why 1080p sets would be any worse at correcting broadaster error than other sets.

It it true that the better resolution of a 1080p screen might make broadcaster error more visible if what is being broadcast is in a 1920 x 1080 format. Howver there should be little difference in visibility of the error if the broadcast is in the 720x576i format.

3. Can blocking be minimised or eliminated through the settings?

Only reduced in obviousness I'd suggest. Sometimes there is simply too much going on in the image and the broadcaster's MPEG 2 encoder has to operate at a chunkier level of resolution for parts of the image, in order to stay within the bitrate limitation for the broadcast. A flock of small birds taking off is very hard to encode: there is too much rapidly changing detail that cannot be 'predicted'.

Edited by MLXXX

What i-p mode have you selected?

I have it on i-p 2 but have tried 1 and 3 doesn't seem to make a difference.

These seem to happen on the SD channel, I can't really fault the HD programs.

A lot of ads seem to display these artefacts too.

Should I still be worried?

Thudabot, this is really a matter for other owners of LX508s to advise you on, but as they have not been forthcoming, perhaps that is becuase there is no apparent answer to suggest. You may need to consider getting a service tech to look at the set.

Below is an extract of some settings from a post in the owners' thread.

Pro Adjust:

Pure Cinema: OFF (for progressive source) & STANDARD (for interlaced source)

Film Mode: ADV

Text Optimization: Off

Intelligence: Off

Other:

I-P Mode: 1