Bsa Ltd Is Desperate To Find Foxtel Installers Offering $3000 Start-up Bonus

A decent sparky will always take a stand against ruthless intimadatory bastards like BSA and I have no doubts that decent sparkies were also involved in taking a stand against ruthless pit owners a hundred years ago so that decent sparkies can earn $100k in the mines today.

The main driver behind sparkies being able to get that sort of money in the mining industry is the severe lack of skilled workers.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How soon people forget history, you should be applauded for your perseverance. As for 100K in QLD that would be fine if we were all single with no family ties.

Anyone trying to support a family would only take up a job with BSA as a last resort. The turn over rate for Austar installers up here is quite impressive.

Anyone trying to support a family would only take up a job with BSA as a last resort. The turn over rate for Austar installers up here is quite impressive.

Some due the job because of its flexability it should not require that a "sub cpi" situation be dictakded.

Sidor,

It is clear that you are a very disillusioned person but it is time to stop whingeing and start doing. I am a sparkie who decided 5 years ago to become a technician/installer/contractor with BSA and from day 1 at various meetings and stocktakes was subjected to techs' whingeing their tits off about rates etc.

BSA/Downer/Foxtel techs' have been ripped off for the last 10 years. In 1996 pay TV techs' were being paid $160 per install with all materials supplied by East Coast TV. Contrast that with today's rate which, according to the BSA contractor intro on their website, is $80 nett of materials with an annual net income of $76K which incidentally, according to their own documents, was $78K in 2001. This annual income is based on 3.5 installs per day, 6 days per week for 46 weeks, deduct from this running costs for vehicle,insurance,super,phone,tools,ladders,meters etc. etc. and you are left with an income of approx. $36k, which for the responsibility involved, is a pittance. When I was confronted for the umpteenth time, in August last year, by a tech whingeing I decided, following consultations with other senior techs, that we neede to call a meeting of techs to air the issues and determine a plan of action. A list of greivances was compiled and forwarded to BSA and the techs asked me to act as spokesman at a meeting with management. The response of BSA was basically it was all the fault of Foxtel re rates and other issues were simply dismissed.

BSA hoped that it would go away as it has in the past and since February have refused to provide me with work. I have been told that I am not terminated, not suspended, have committed no transgressions but will not supply me with work and will not provide me with a reason but unlike other techs in the past I am not walking away. Techs need to understand that they are being ripped off to the tune of $1500 due to manipulation of the rates by BSA.

The techs in our area are keen to take action and we have had several meetings but because we only represent a small area of approx. 50 techs a strike without the support of the capital cities would be futile. However, this may not yet be necessary as having carried out research to try to resolve the problem I believe I have found a way. I urge all techs to contact me so that I can give you all the info. on neversaydie47@live.com.au

The techs in our area are keen to take action and we have had several meetings but because we only represent a small area of approx. 50 techs a strike without the support of the capital cities would be futile. However, this may not yet be necessary as having carried out research to try to resolve the problem I believe I have found a way. I urge all techs to contact me so that I can give you all the info. on neversaydie47@live.com.au

So tell me what did you actually do there ?

Did you and you other techs singed that paper to ACCC to get a permit for collective barganing ?

If not - just contact CEPU and sign one.

We all did over here in Melbourne ...

BSA does not even talk to CEPU and that's why it so important to get collective bargainning approval from ACCC.

After that all techs can join and under CUPU/TSCA and talk to BSA management.

Otherwise BSA is saying that you all are on individual contracts and it is illegal to bargain collectively according Howard legislation custom made for large companies like BSA/Foxtel/Telstra to screw small businesses like we have.

neversaydie,

It appears that you are also disillusioned.

The reality is, potentially earning 100k plus in the this industry is more than achievable when you do the numbers.

Based on $280.00 per connection. If you do an average of 3 IQ connections per day over 42 weeks = $176k (before stock)

and with IQ starting to become the norm, what's there to complaint about.?

No formal qualifications, no quotes to do, next to no paperwork, get your work electronically and away you go.

Ultimately, we can exercise our democratic right and do something else.

I'm "Notabadinstaller" so as a contractor running a company, I'll take it whilst I can.

No formal qualifications

Don't IQ installers have to connect a phone line to the box?

If that's the case, there is a minumum qualification of holding an ACMA restricted cabling licence.

Based on $280.00 per connection. If you do an average of 3 IQ connections per day over 42 weeks = $176k (before stock)

since February have refused to provide me with work

Not being provided with any work (and subsequently no income) is, in my opinion, something to complain about.

So tell me what did you actually do there ?

Did you and you other techs singed that paper to ACCC to get a permit for collective barganing ?

If not - just contact CEPU and sign one.

We all did over here in Melbourne ...

BSA does not even talk to CEPU and that's why it so important to get collective bargainning approval from ACCC.

After that all techs can join and under CUPU/TSCA and talk to BSA management.

Otherwise BSA is saying that you all are on individual contracts and it is illegal to bargain collectively according Howard legislation custom made for large companies like BSA/Foxtel/Telstra to screw small businesses like we have.

As I said in the earlier posting I believe I have found a better way to resolve the situation which I will be discussing with the CEPU next week as the state secretary is away this week. The info and the approach I am taking I am not going to flag publicly but if you wish to contact me my email address is in the earlier post and I will send you the info. As to the CEPU, most of the techs in the area joined but did not sign the collective bargaining agreement because of the problems and because as I said there is a better way which will bring BSA screaming to the table, which involves using Independent Contractors Act, Industrial Relations Act NSW and also the Trade Practices Act

neversaydie,

The reality is, potentially earning 100k plus in the this industry is more than achievable when you do the numbers.

No formal qualifications, no quotes to do, next to no paperwork, get your work electronically and away you go.

I'm "Notabadinstaller" so as a contractor running a company, I'll take it whilst I can.

Notabadinstaller,

we are all suffering just because of techs like yourself,

- who takes all the sheet from BSA, picking up all sheet jobs,

- accepting unfair treatment from BSA,

- doing disconnections for $18,

- accepting unfair 3-day warranty backcharge fines, which is not even in contract

- how many times did you travel to BSA warehouse to come to pick-up boxes and cards spending $15-20 on travel and BSA told you they they run out of them? and you just keep you mouth shut full of sheet ?

- Do you know that BSA promised 4% CPI increase each year ? and you actually got only 2% ?

- Didnot they took payment for ADSL filter ? Answer yourself how many ADSL filters you had to install 1 year ago and how many filter you will be installing in 2-3 years when EVERYONE will be on broadband ?

- No paperwork ? you must be kidding ? Are you checking how they pay you for your jobs at all ?

How many jobs you had where they did pay less than suppose or not paid properly ? How many jobs just disappeared from your payment ?

- How much you spend on mobile phone bill ? How long BSA/Foxtel keep you on hold to answer ?

- are you saying you are getting 3 IQ installs per day ? BullSh1t

how many times did you travel to and customer not home ? Are you also counting these to your $176k ?

mate, if you do not have all these issues above your are an id1ot ! or you are just part of BSA ...

If everyone were aZholes like you back in 2004, everyone would be getting paid $21 for phone line for IQ box ...

Edited by Sidor

neversaydie,

Yes, I am disillusioned but unlike techs in the past Who merely whinged and did nothing but walk away I am going to stay and fight the bastards for a better deal not only for myself but also the other techs and people entering the industry.

As to your calcs re 3 IQ installs you are pretty much on the money, the problem is that a lot of households have the infrastructure in place and so most jobs into the future will involve upgrading from a standard box to IQ and there is a world of difference in the rate and this is when you will find out how devious BSA are in manipulating the rates to rip off the techs. E-mail me and I wiil send you the evidence.

Also if you are performing a full IQ install you will need at least a RCL to connect the T.O into the telstra network, which is hardly no formal qualifications, as to being not a bad installer, I have an electrical contractors licence in addition to a master cabler licence and I am regarded by my customers and peers as being a good tradesman.

I am fighting because BSA have intimidated the workforce for too long and I cannot believe how cowed and frightened techs are for their future, there is no future if we as a group do not take a stand. Just because you believe "I am all right Jack" does not mean that your fellow workers are.

I do not contract to BSA.

Come on, can't really say that a 1 - 2 day Restricted Cable License course is all that formal.

I am a contractor like you guy's when it stops becoming feasible, I'll move on.

Perhaps we should attempt to make things "sustainable' NOT JUST "FEASABLE" NOTABADINSTAL.

I do not contract to BSA.

Come on, can't really say that a 1 - 2 day Restricted Cable License course is all that formal.

I am a contractor like you guy's when it stops becoming feasible, I'll move on.

Notabadinstaller, why would you EVER move on if you are doing 3 installs each and every day and making $176k a year ?

Just tell the guy (auspool.net) who was asking about the job for BSA to come and join BSA and start doing 3 installs a day from the day one, and $176k a year ...

If he makes less than that you just cover the difference ...

Come one EVERYONE, as per Notabadinstaller, BSA is the best company to work for !

Anyone wants to make $176k a year, do not waste your time and join BSA !

Edited by Sidor

You stated:

No formal qualifications

Call it what you like, it's illegal to perform the (phone) cabling work without a licence, with penalties of up to $15,000.00 for doing so..... I'd call that very formal!

Granted, it's not a long course, however the two days doesn't cover the study time to learn the regulations, or to sit the exam.. oh and there's a small matter of cost... around $300 for the course... $600 for the mandatory "Communications Cabling Manual" and that doesn't even include the cost of the licence exam, or if successful, the cabling licence registration.

So far, I have not seen a single phone line installation to a Foxtel or Austar box that complies fully with the regulations.

Most are just strewn across ceilings, in breach of segregation requirements from other services, eg: power cables, gas and water pipes and other cabling under floors, laying on the ground surface.

I'm guessing that most installers are taking short cuts and not installing this cabling to the mandatory regulatory requirements, due to pressure to complete the job quickly and move on to the next one.

The customer usually doesn't see the cabling and the public are generally unaware as to what the cabling regulations require of the installer, so what's not seen, is not mentioned.

So Notabadinstaller, are you also saying that apart from doing 3 IQ installs a day, you also adhere to the cabling rules and ensure segregation and clip all cabling to the building frame?

Call it what you like, it's illegal to perform the (phone) cabling work without a licence, with penalties of up to $15,000.00 for doing so..... I'd call that very formal!

I'm pretty sure its illegal to do any sort of fixed cabling without an appropriate licence - telephone, data, electrical... and most probably the coax used by Foxtel / Austar too.

I'm pretty sure its illegal to do any sort of fixed cabling without an appropriate licence - telephone, data, electrical... and most probably the coax used by Foxtel / Austar too.

A licence is required for all of those, except TV cabling (at this time) plus alarms.

Pay TV boxes are a grey-area, in respect that some connect to a telephone network.

It may be (and probably would be) argued that the coax TV signal is isolated from the phone line, however, that was exactly the same scenario as alarm panels with cabling from sensors to the panel, for which any cabling work on the 'data' side did not initially require a licence, however, a cabling licence is now mandatory for all cabling for alarms and fire panels, regardless if they connect to an exchange line or not.

Given that a cabling licence is required for installing coaxial cable for data, it may be just a matter of time before this regulation is applied to FTA/Pay TV installations.

get ready for the next wave of disgruntled foxtel intallers. They are being recruited in South Africa. Shock horror, lets treat the local workers like sh!t, pay them six fifths of bugger all and then tell the government we can't get any workers. 457 Visa, here they come.

And hey they'll do the crap jobs for $38 per install, otherwise its back to getting chased by Lions at the safari park.

get ready for the next wave of disgruntled foxtel intallers. They are being recruited in South Africa. Shock horror, lets treat the local workers like sh!t, pay them six fifths of bugger all and then tell the government we can't get any workers. 457 Visa, here they come.

And hey they'll do the crap jobs for $38 per install, otherwise its back to getting chased by Lions at the safari park.

are you serious ?

A licence is required for all of those, except TV cabling (at this time) plus alarms.

In VIC at least you also need a security license for alarms. Not a 'technical' license I know but I thought I'd clarify.

Edited by llama_boi

are you serious ?

Why not? they did it with the wharfies under Howard, when they trained guys in Dubai and then set dogs on the wharfies and that is only about ten years ago

I need verification of something a tech told me the other day, that is BSA pay techs doing telephony work $25 for NIA's and dirty tickets, whereas the Foxtel techs have to wear it. Can anybody confirm this?

I heard the same but about Service Sream on I&M telephone lines contract.

They are getting paid $25 for NIAs, but for certain jobs.

If BSA has telephony contract in QLD (through Silcar I believe) they may still get paid for NIAs ...

BSA lost all Telstra contracts in VIC and it was a right decision from Telstra side ...

Edited by Sidor

$3000 Start Up Bonus!

Do You Want Constant Work ? Then Read On...!!

BSA LIMITED Is a leading Australian communications and technical services company. BSA delivers technical services on behalf of its customers - which are some of Australia's largest corporations. Technicians are deployed throughout Australia to install, repair, maintain and support equipment and services thousands of times each day.

As one of the leading communication installation companies you can JOIN us in providing services on behalf of FOXTEL, Optus, TELSTRA, and AUSTAR.

We are looking for;

# Existing Contractors to come over to a well established team

# Open to existing contractors who want to expand their business by additional vehicles

# People who are looking for direct employment

# No experience? Do not worry, read on!

Not only can we organize and provide you regular work, working with our team, you will also receive a $3000 start up bonus after a qualifying period for approved applicants. (Conditions apply.)

Applicants will require access to an email, ABN, a tidy van or utility and basic tools. Training can be provided to approved applicants with a background in building, other industries will also be considered.

Positions are available for FOXTEL, Optus, TELSTRA and AUSTAR nationally. Waste no more time and join us in providing a quality service in the region.

INTERESTED? Please make sure to specify what Division you are applying for.

Forward your application to:

work@bsa.com.au or call Bash on 02 9475 2876 or Aga on 02 8748 2400

http://jobs.careerone.com.au/texis/jobsear...pany=Herald+Sun

------------------------------

It looks like BSA is desperate to get people to do their sheet work for Foxtel and Optus and offering $3000 start-up bonus

Last year they only offered $500 ... It is a big difference isn't it ?

Before you ring them - read How it is like to work for BSA and how they treat subbies:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...amp;p=-1#bottom

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=900378

Also their are saying about having ABN, but you will need to have Pty Ltd company registered.

And also be prepared to do

- $18 pick-up box jobs from customer house,

- digging customers' front yard to lay a new pipe from the road (sometime up to 10 mt of rock-hard soil) - they do not care - you just HAVE TO do it

- face back-charge fines if dodgy Foxtel box got faulty within 3 days after you install it

- work every 2nd Saturday or you will be fine $100 per job if you refuse to work on Saturday (if you got 5 jobs you will be fined $500 in ONE day)

- be prepared to travel up to 100-150km a day

- if you lose crappy $50 Foxtel box they will fine you $700 or $150 for smart card

- and the last but nor the least if BSA Ltd Managing Director sold $150'000 worth of share just a month or so ago - does it mean BSA Ltd is doing well or not really ? :

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/showA...?idsID=00795771

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/showA...?idsID=00805287

Talking to an ex-tech today who trained and put on the extra contractor and were told they would have to wait three months for payment, whereas I understand that new techs signing up get paid straight away. This is what BSA Chairman calls looking after our contractors. Go figure

Talking to an ex-tech today who trained and put on the extra contractor and were told they would have to wait three months for payment, whereas I understand that new techs signing up get paid straight away. This is what BSA Chairman calls looking after our contractors. Go figure

BSA is known for holding payments.

I know a guy who has not been paid for the job done a month ago.

but 3 month to wait payment does not sound right.