Dead Harmony 880 Ac Power Adapter

I've had a Harmony 880 for a few years now (including two replacement charging cradles). It's been working great - but now the AC adapter has stopped working, I'm sure something inside has burnt out (it smells a bit burnt).

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement - or have an alternative method of charging the battery?

I know places like Dick Smith's and Tandy have power adapters - but most of them are huge (when compared to the minuscule harmony adapter), and I haven't found one where the cable and plug would actually fit into the underside of the cradle.

I've had a Harmony 880 for a few years now (including two replacement charging cradles). It's been working great - but now the AC adapter has stopped working, I'm sure something inside has burnt out (it smells a bit burnt).

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement - or have an alternative method of charging the battery?

I know places like Dick Smith's and Tandy have power adapters - but most of them are huge (when compared to the minuscule harmony adapter), and I haven't found one where the cable and plug would actually fit into the underside of the cradle.

I have a Harmony 880 and I know that the plug size is the same size as the Nokia phone chargers (not the latest really small ones) and the battery is very similar to the Nokias.

I don't know much about electronics but Nokia chargers come in a variety of voltages and currents and people still use them interchangeably without issue. It may be worth trying one out if you have one lying around, may take a little longer to charge the battery.

I take no responsibility if this stuffs your base or remote :)

Ben

I have a Harmony 880 and I know that the plug size is the same size as the Nokia phone chargers (not the latest really small ones) and the battery is very similar to the Nokias.

Thanks for that, I didn't think of phone chargers.

I found a couple of older Nokia chargers and the plugs do fit although the voltage is a little low (3.7v) where the Harmony is 8v, it does seem to charge the remote, so at least I won't be without it while I try to find a proper replacement.

My daughter has a newer Nokia charger, and that has a slightly higher voltage (around 5v) so I may use that one.

The main problem with these is the thickness of the cable - it's just a little to thick to fit in the channel on the bottom of the cradle.

I found a couple of older Nokia chargers and the plugs do fit although the voltage is a little low (3.7v) where the Harmony is 8v, it does seem to charge the remote, so at least I won't be without it while I try to find a proper replacement.

My daughter has a newer Nokia charger, and that has a slightly higher voltage (around 5v) so I may use that one.

The main problem with these is the thickness of the cable - it's just a little to thick to fit in the channel on the bottom of the cradle.

u need to get an apdter which can handle the voltage and the current. if u under or over volt the battery u can damage it, if u get ac adpter which has a lower current rating u will damage that, if u get one too high u it is fine

Adrian, my 880 has given up the ghost If you replace yours with something else I would be happy to buy it from you.

Cheers

Rob

Adrian, my 880 has given up the ghost If you replace yours with something else I would be happy to buy it from you.

I'm happy enough with the remote - I just need the charger unit. But, if I do replace it, the only model I'd consider would be the "One", and that hasn't been released yet.

Edited by AdrianW