Zoom On Xe1

Hi,

I can't seem to find any zoom function on the XE1?

My old Toshiba SDK320 which it has replaced has this feature wich was handy for watching 2.35 movies..

That is because its on your panel anyway, but most people would never do it.

Hi,

I can't seem to find any zoom function on the XE1?

My old Toshiba SDK320 which it has replaced has this feature wich was handy for watching 2.35 movies..

I don't want to sound condesceding but you do realise that zooming means you're actually chopping of the picture when you use the zoom? I know some people hate the black bars but getting rid of them means getting rid of about 12% of the actual film.

I don't want to sound condesceding but you do realise that zooming means you're actually chopping of the picture when you use the zoom? I know some people hate the black bars but getting rid of them means getting rid of about 12% of the actual film.

Yes, however I would rather loose 12% of the film than waste 24% of my TV with nothing.

Getting the TV to do the zoom makes the wiz bang upscaling of the XE1 a little pointless?

Taking my thread into the gutter aside......

Does anybody know if this feature is likely to be added?

I'm really struggling without it...

Well I dont know if Toshiba would ever include it, But the Sharp bdhp20u has a zoom function. Dont use it myself, but I do have some friends that cant bear to watch anything with

black bars. Maybe a switch to neutral will solve your problem. And as for the pros and cons of zooming each to their own I say.

I'm guessing your tv doesn't have a zoom function either ?

I'd say you are out of luck.

It does, however I fail to see the point of the fantastic upscaling of the XE1 if the TV is only going to reprocess the signal to add the zoom.

I'm much happier to loose 12% of the picture than waste 24% of my TV.... :rolleyes:

loose = lose

loose means your pants fall down

But really you are losing part of the picture no doubt as you never see it, but you don't really lose any of your TV. It's still there, you are just watching at a common width rather than a common height as the screen is fixed height and width unlike a cinema screen or projector. At the end of the day its up to you what you like to watch. But you don't lose any of your screen by watching at common image width at all, you just get black bars where no picture exists because of the dimension of your screen.

Do you watch fat stretched guys on 4:3?

loose = lose

loose means your pants fall down

But really you are losing part of the picture no doubt as you never see it, but you don't really lose any of your TV. It's still there, you are just watching at a common width rather than a common height as the screen is fixed height and width unlike a cinema screen or projector. At the end of the day its up to you what you like to watch. But you don't lose any of your screen by watching at common image width at all, you just get black bars where no picture exists because of the dimension of your screen.

Do you watch fat stretched guys on 4:3?

Not much 4:3 around these days and when I do watch it I watch it pillar box.

I guess I'm just disappointed to see this feature missing on a flagship model......