Sign in to follow this  
donkey33

Sony Bravia Making Humming/buzzing Sound

Add me to the list of X3100 manufactured dec 07 with the fan noise. It is so irritating, especially since its in a smallish room so if im watching at night im constantly hearing the fan noise. It really is quite unacceptable for a tv of that price. The fan noise is the only thing stopping me from fully enjoying this tv, however i'm going to wait for my ps3 to arrive and then decide whether i should keep it or not (as it seems getting a tech out isn't going to make much of a difference).

I've had the tv for almost 2 weeks now - does anyone think leaving it another month (presumably til ps3 arrives) would be leaving it too long to be able to take this up with the retailer, and then i'd have to battle sony for a refund/replacement??

I really don't think i'll be able to put up with the fan for the next 5+ years .....

If you have a good retailer they may allow you to exchange the tv. In regards to the W series they don't have fans in them at all, so that is why you cannot hear it :P . . . . .

The technician came out today (was booked for tomorrow). He performed the firmware upgrade which my wife said took 15 minutes.

The results... I CANNOT HEAR ANY NOISE AT ALL! THERE IS NO MORE HUMMING/BUZZING!!

I even went right up to the TV and put my ear as close as I could and I still could barely hear a thing. I am happy so far and will update you once I have more time to experience it.

There is no way I would have accepted a fan replacement but this is an acceptable solution. If your tech is unaware of the firmware upgrade, call the Sony centre and request new technicians. The tech that came around said Sony have specifically developed this upgrade to rectify this issue, so all techs 'should' be aware of it.

For all those with the fan noise in Sydney, the technician was from PES, Pinnacle Electronic Services. They are a authorised Sony Service Centre. Contact details are (02) 9853 2222. Located at Unit 1, 12 Tollis Place, Seven Hills NSW.

Good luck!

Edited by SRS13

The technician came out today (was booked for tomorrow). He performed the firmware upgrade which my wife said took 15 minutes.

The results... I CANNOT HEAR ANY NOISE AT ALL! THERE IS NO MORE HUMMING/BUZZING!!

I even went right up to the TV and put my ear as close as I could and I still could barely hear a thing. I am happy so far and will update you once I have more time to experience it.

There is no way I would have accepted a fan replacement but this is an acceptable solution. If your tech is unaware of the firmware upgrade, call the Sony centre and request new technicians. The tech that came around said Sony have specifically developed this upgrade to rectify this issue, so all techs 'should' be aware of it.

For all those with the fan noise in Sydney, the technician was from PES, Pinnacle Electronic Services. They are a authorised Sony Service Centre. Contact details are (02) 9853 2222. Located at Unit 1, 12 Tollis Place, Seven Hills NSW.

Good luck!

sounds great.......did u contacted Sony warranty line first and they referred this technician from PES for u ? Or should I contact PES directly ? Thanks !

sounds great.......did u contacted Sony warranty line first and they referred this technician from PES for u ? Or should I contact PES directly ? Thanks !

Sony referred me to them.

Even the wife said she couldn't hear the fans anymore.

Looks like I will be keeping this TV afterall.

Hmmm, maybe I will get a tech out for the firmware upgrade. It's the only option before I unload on Sony or sell it.

I also have fan noise on my 46X. It's in a large room though and spreads the sound so I'm in two minds about whether to do anything about it or not. If I moved to a smaller house or put the TV in a smaller room then definitely would persue a remedy.

Can the firmware upgrade to rectify this be done only by a tech?

Had the 2 fans in my 46XBR replaced today - see pix for fan location (which looks like it includes attempted sound insulation) and image of removed noisy fan . Much, much quiter, barely audible.

Details printed on old fan are:

Nidec UltaFlo

Model U40X12MLZ-7-53

12V DC J35 [the last 3 characters much further at the right]

0.05A

I really don't think i'll be able to put up with the fan for the next 5+ years .....

I'm the same. If they can't fix it i just can't live with a tv making this noise so i'll have to try to sell it.

Looks like the firmware update will do the trick, fingers crossed, to i'm gonna try all alternatives to get this fixed.

I must say I'm a little worried that the tech will take my tv away, listen to it in a relatively noisy room and not hear anything abnormal so return it with nothing fixed, charging me a call out fee in the process. i wonder if i show him this thread it'll prove it's not just me and there really is a problem. Has anyone actually had someone from Sony admit there IS a problem?

I'm the same. If they can't fix it i just can't live with a tv making this noise so i'll have to try to sell it.

Looks like the firmware update will do the trick, fingers crossed, to i'm gonna try all alternatives to get this fixed.

I must say I'm a little worried that the tech will take my tv away, listen to it in a relatively noisy room and not hear anything abnormal so return it with nothing fixed, charging me a call out fee in the process. i wonder if i show him this thread it'll prove it's not just me and there really is a problem. Has anyone actually had someone from Sony admit there IS a problem?

That's my worry also. All depends on the tech but if they charge me, I won't pay and I'll take it up with whomever I have to in order to raise the issue about Sony and the tech fee.

I guess I'll be trying the tech again then. Seems it is hit and miss to get one that understands there is a firmware update or understands replacing the fans.

It's really a joke that Sony are not competent enough to do something about this. I'm really annoyed.

I guess I'll be trying the tech again then. Seems it is hit and miss to get one that understands there is a firmware update or understands replacing the fans.

My techie (European Electronics, Moorabbin) as he was putting in the new fans said he'd never heard of a firmware fix for the noisy fans though there clearly is one (see above). Very ordinary stuff from Sony.

My techie (European Electronics, Moorabbin) as he was putting in the new fans said he'd never heard of a firmware fix for the noisy fans though there clearly is one (see above). Very ordinary stuff from Sony.

Yeah, European Electronics are the same people Sony sent me to the first time around so I assume I'll get them again possibly meaning that they'll have no idea about a firmware update.

If your tech is not aware of the firmware upgrade, get them to contact Sony or give them the contact details of PES (details given earlier) and get them to contact PES.

When the tech first came out he told me it was not that loud. I told him it was. They do not have to take your TV away. If they do, they are charging you and hurting their backs for nothing. All that is required is for you to advise the serial number of the TV. They obtain the correct firmware for that model. They come to your house and upgrade the system. It takes 15-20mins to perform the upgrade. In my case, no more humming/buzzing.

I would not accept a fan upgrade for this problem, but that is me.

I can report that since Thursday, the fans have not made a sound. In fact I am wondering if they are still on... in any case there is no sound whatsoever so the firmware upgrade definitely works.

For the person that asked, the tech advised that Sony ARE AWARE of this problem and hence why they created the firmware upgrade. I am not aware if the firmware upgrade is available in any other way.

I just scanned through the thread quickly but I must have skipped over this PES thing? Could you post what it is again because I might try the firmware upgrade.

Shame we can't perform it ourselves.

Good luck!

I contacted European Appliances again, and they said they will let the service manager know and contact me... It has been 2 full working days, still no contact!!! SO ANNOYING, i think i will have to call them again and this time i will give them the details of PES so they can call them to obtain this firmware upgrade! Its really annoying that i have to go through this! We should be able to obtain some compensation from sony for this!!! But the weird thing is i went in to David Jones the other day to listen to the TV (with my ear on the screen) and there was no noise coming from it, and it was an August 2007 model! I wounder if the noise could be due to how tight the screws are on the fan, maybe if they are too tight the fans are vibrating too much hence the noise???

just contacted the service centre who received my job from sony. fortunately they are aware of the firmware - they were advised late last week apparently. they said what the firmware update does is just slow the fans down. when i asked whether this would effect the operation of the tv they said no. i hope this is the case and the tv doesn't die from overheating.

lucky i live in tassie where the temp barely gets above freezing so overheating's generally not an issue ;)

I'm just staggered at how poor this has been handled. I'll try the firmware upgrade but I'm going to make a complaint against Sony I think.

My September 07 Build has buzzing noises also.

Gonna give Sony a call for the firmware update. Will get the tech to look at the clouding issue when in cold temps also while at it.

Has anyone else had the fans replaced or the firmware update applied? So far I'm tallying some that have gone ok and the sound is gone and some that haven't gone well and the sound remains.

I won't get a tech around until I can organise a day off work because I want to be there when he looks at the TV.

YAY! called European electronics today, and they are finally aware of the firmware upgrade, so they are coming out on friday to install it!!! Will let you know how it goes when its done!

Nice. That's who I'd be dealing with also so glad to hear they finally know about it.

Really hoping this fixes the problem as I'll book it asap because I probably won't need to be home for just a firmware update.

Had the 2 fans in my 46XBR replaced today - see pix for fan location (which looks like it includes attempted sound insulation) and image of removed noisy fan . Much, much quiter, barely audible.

Details printed on old fan are:

Nidec UltaFlo

Model U40X12MLZ-7-53

12V DC J35 [the last 3 characters much further at the right]

0.05A

Thanks waratahbay.

Found the following which appears similar to the OLD model fans you described: Nidec Fan Details

Obviously - from the general feedback - looks as though the firmware is a must in addition to any replacement fans.

Wonder if the fans in my X3100 are the same?

I am meant to be receiving my replacement fans and a firmware upgrade from Integrated Components in Hobart for my noisy Dec07 46X3100 at some stage next week. Will let you all know the result.

Query:

Does anyone have the details of the make/model/etc of the new replacement fans??

Edited by Jonesman

anyone have the number of the sony service department?

i will be giving them a call too to organize a firmware update

thanks

Hi

just received the firmware upgrade, and it fixed the problem for sure, although i can still hear the fans a bit, but not as bad as before...... The number is just the sony number and follow the prompts, then they will give you a recommended dealer to fix it for you

Thanks