Sony Bravia Making Humming/buzzing Sound

Hi

i just called sonys repair centre and asked where are my #$@# fans!!! It has been 2 weeks since the technition came out to have a look... Now she told me it will be here next week (21st) as they are coming from Singapore!!! I was told last week they will be here this week!!! I bet you that they will not receive it for another month! Anyway i asked whether they are new design fans or just the old ones and she said that they are new design so they should be less noisy! Also about the firmware upgrade apprently it is available and the technition will upgrade it if necessary! So i guess i will update on the results next week some time when the fans actually come in!

Thanks

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The technician came out today, I was not home but my wife called me as soon as he arrived.

He said the noise is not that bad - I told to pull his ears out of his arse... well not exactly but I politely disagreed. He told me that Sony have a software upgrade for the fan noise. He also said that Sony acknowledge a fault with the fans as there have been many complaints from customers. When I confirmed if Sony know there is a fault, he said 'yes that is why they have brought out a software upgrade'

Well that was all I needed to hear. I told him to load the software anyway. It didnt work and he has to come out next week.

NOT ONCE DID HE MENTION CHANGING THE FANS.

With that info I called the place I purchased from and told them I want to return the item as it is faulty and Sony have acknowledged fault. He is organising a return on Monday.

I got home and I **** you not, the noise is actually worse. This is not my imagination as now with the volume on 17 I could just hear from it 3 mtrs away.

As great as this TV is PQ wise, there IS NO WAY I could live with it, reduced noise or not. Nothing worse then thinking the noise may come again.

I'll be glad once its gone but will miss the free playstation though...

Edited by SRS13

Replacing the fan means he will put the exact same fan in, which may mean the exact same noise? How do any of us know if the knew fan will work.

The worst part about it is after watching Die Hard 4.0 on Blu ray, the picture looked fantastic. Enough to make me think twice on what I do, which really is frustrating.

I will let you know by next week, whether the "new design" fans actually improve the problem at hand! I hope it does!

Thanks Drazman2000 - look forward to your update.

I am still waiting on the local SONY service centre to send out a technician to check my Dec07 - 46X3100 noisy fans................

Is it definitely true that the 52X3100 does not have any fans in it ???

(eg Can anyone confirm that, when on mute, the 52X3100 does not emit any noise that can be heard beyond approx 3m ???)

Edited by Jonesman
Replacing the fan means he will put the exact same fan in, which may mean the exact same noise? How do any of us know if the knew fan will work.

Probably because the faulty fan would be replaced with a non-faulty one. Presumably there was a bad batch that went into the manufacturing stream at some point (certainly AFTER they made mine :) )

Hey everyone I'm so thankful that I found this topic. I was going nuts and just assumed that I had a faulty tv. I called Sony and of course they gave me the run around. Then I called where I bought the TV and h said it was dust in the unit which made no sense because the TV is new. One thing I have noticed and not sure if anyone else has. Once the buzzing sound starts there are 2 things I can do and the noise seem to go away.

1st one is once the noise begins turn the unit off real quick then back on.The noise will go away. Of course I'm not sure that is good for the TV.

2nd is and this is real easy. Once you hear the noise change the input to another mode. The noise will instantly quit and you can even go back to the mode you were watching before you switched the input mode and the noise is gone. That seems weird and not sure why switching the input mode would stop the noise but it seems too.

Let me know if anyone tries this and it works for them. I'd also love to hear anyone if they think of any reason why this would stop the noise. Thanks

Hi,

Well, my set has just come back from it's firmware upgrade and upon my first 5mins of viewing it seems the problem has been largely rectified. When the set is turned on you do hear the fans spool up as they used to but then they seem to slow and be reasonably quiet. The firmware upgrade probably reduced the RPM they run at. I am happy for now but it will take a few days and many movies to be sure.

Cheers.

Hi,

Well, my set has just come back from it's firmware upgrade and upon my first 5mins of viewing it seems the problem has been largely rectified. When the set is turned on you do hear the fans spool up as they used to but then they seem to slow and be reasonably quiet. The firmware upgrade probably reduced the RPM they run at. I am happy for now but it will take a few days and many movies to be sure.

Cheers.

did they upgrade the firmware on the spot at your house? or did you have to repackage the tv for them to pick it up?

also how long did it take?

ta

Edited by songaz
did they upgrade the firmware on the spot at your house? or did you have to repackage the tv for them to pick it up?

ta

He came to my house and tried to install the firmware upgrade but couldn't. He didn't have the right software. Told me if he had known the serial number he could have brought it with him :blink: He could have asked for it before coming out as they were aware of the issue I was having.

Now I have to wait until next Friday :angry2: As every day passes I feel like calling the retailer and organising the refund he promised me...

Edited by SRS13

How have people gone with this?

It has taken me a while to get a technician to come out but he's finally due to come out this afternoon. I won't be home unfortunately but I have someone home to let him in. I will be calling when he is there though.

I a little worried. What if the fans don't fire up when he's there? What if he does a firmware upgrade and it's then louder? Is the slower fan actually good for the TV?

Not sure what to do. I'll be very unhappy if he comes out and says that it's normal. They told me over the phone that they charge $150 if there is nothing wrong and because I'm not there to show him, he might just brush it off.

How have people gone so far? Is the firmware upgrade worth it or are the replacement fans better? I love the TV but seriously thinking of just taking it back and getting something different if they can't get rid of this sound.

Also, how to I tell the manufacture date? Is it on the TV or in the manual somewhere?

I think I'm going to cancel the technician.

I won't be home when he turns up in an hour and I got the person at home to turn the TV and test once more that the fan kicks in but it's not working. I don't want to be stung $150 for something where the technician doesn't here anything.

I can't figure it out though. Did your fan kick in straight away when the technician was out? I haven't noticed it the past few weeks but I've had the sound up or maybe it has stopped.

I really should have checked all this out before the technician came.

I cancelled the technician. I had someone at home leave it on for 15 mins and I couldn't get the fan to start.

I'm starting to think that maybe it was me and I only noticed the fans after the TV had been on for a certain amount of time. I guess it's normal for the fan to kick in after a certain amount of time. I guess the problem is that it is still loud so maybe I should just look at getting replacement fans put in or getting the firmware upgrade to lower the noise?

Not sure what to do now.

ta

I dropped the set off on Tuesday, Firmware updated Wednesday, pick up Thursday. It would have taken longer if I didn't deliver and pick up the set. From what I understand they should be able to update the firmware at your home. Although it seems some others have not been having a lot of luck with the techs.

I dropped the set off on Tuesday, Firmware updated Wednesday, pick up Thursday. It would have taken longer if I didn't deliver and pick up the set. From what I understand they should be able to update the firmware at your home. Although it seems some others have not been having a lot of luck with the techs.

Don't they just update the firmware by sticking a thumb drive in the USB slot?

They're talking about the motor that drives the fan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_DC_electric_motor

I'm VERY surprised they wouldn't use brushless fan motors in a product like this.

How bad was your flashlight issue? My Aug 2007 40X has mild flashlighting in the top right corner, though it's not so obnoxious that it intrudes 99% of the time.

OK I have a 46x3100 manufactured August 2007 (One of the first)

Noisy HUM. By chance my brothers work is the warranty repairer for Sony. He installed two new fans which made stuff all difference. However what we did notice is that when the fans were not plugged in the noise went away. But it wasn't the fans making the noise. It was the boards driving the fans. As soon as the fans span up and the boards drew a current load they began to hum. I am going to try the software upgrade but that is a prick in itself.

Firstly i had to see if my tv had a green dot in a specific part of the rear grill as this determined what type of chipset I had. As mine does not have a green dot and falls in a specific serial number range i also need to get a tuner replacement before the software upgrade can be installed. And as i know this will slow the fans down i am a little reluctant. Slowing the fans down will reduce the load and thus the boards will not produce as much hum.

How have people gone with this?

It has taken me a while to get a technician to come out but he's finally due to come out this afternoon. I won't be home unfortunately but I have someone home to let him in. I will be calling when he is there though.

I a little worried. What if the fans don't fire up when he's there? What if he does a firmware upgrade and it's then louder? Is the slower fan actually good for the TV?

Not sure what to do. I'll be very unhappy if he comes out and says that it's normal. They told me over the phone that they charge $150 if there is nothing wrong and because I'm not there to show him, he might just brush it off.

How have people gone so far? Is the firmware upgrade worth it or are the replacement fans better? I love the TV but seriously thinking of just taking it back and getting something different if they can't get rid of this sound.

Also, how to I tell the manufacture date? Is it on the TV or in the manual somewhere?

The fans wont change a thing. They are crappy sleeve ones and they are no different to the ones already in there. The manufacture date is on a sticker on the rear of the tv. My hum did not start until 2 months after i had the tv. See my other post regarding fan drive boards. They are making the noise. These little fans are nothing more than a typical cpu fan hanging off an older cpu. They seem to draw air in from top and push air across the inverter boards on each side of the tv. I have some happy snap pics of the inside if anyone is interested. I can show you exactly where the noise is emitting from

The fans wont change a thing. They are crappy sleeve ones and they are no different to the ones already in there. The manufacture date is on a sticker on the rear of the tv. My hum did not start until 2 months after i had the tv. See my other post regarding fan drive boards. They are making the noise. These little fans are nothing more than a typical cpu fan hanging off an older cpu. They seem to draw air in from top and push air across the inverter boards on each side of the tv. I have some happy snap pics of the inside if anyone is interested. I can show you exactly where the noise is emitting from

Yeah i'd be interested, email is pepper150@optusnet.com.au.

Would also be interested in your brothers opinion of which is a better model 46x/xbr or 52x/xbr. I'm returning my second 46xbr for 3 bright pixels and clouding and considering upgrading to the 52x3100. Other than the obvious size increase and fan deletion, are there any other differences ie. less prone to clouding ??

Hey guys

does any one know if the 46xbr model have the fan problem as well, or is it just the lower model w and x?

I have the 46xbr model. See my posts above - i have the fan problem big time. In fact, as demonstrated to the technician, you can hear the noise from 8m+ away from the TV.