Sony Bravia Making Humming/buzzing Sound

I will let you know by next week, whether the "new design" fans actually improve the problem at hand! I hope it does!

Thanks Drazman2000 - look forward to your update.

I am still waiting on the local SONY service centre to send out a technician to check my Dec07 - 46X3100 noisy fans................

Is it definitely true that the 52X3100 does not have any fans in it ???

(eg Can anyone confirm that, when on mute, the 52X3100 does not emit any noise that can be heard beyond approx 3m ???)

Edited by Jonesman
Replacing the fan means he will put the exact same fan in, which may mean the exact same noise? How do any of us know if the knew fan will work.

Probably because the faulty fan would be replaced with a non-faulty one. Presumably there was a bad batch that went into the manufacturing stream at some point (certainly AFTER they made mine :) )

Hey everyone I'm so thankful that I found this topic. I was going nuts and just assumed that I had a faulty tv. I called Sony and of course they gave me the run around. Then I called where I bought the TV and h said it was dust in the unit which made no sense because the TV is new. One thing I have noticed and not sure if anyone else has. Once the buzzing sound starts there are 2 things I can do and the noise seem to go away.

1st one is once the noise begins turn the unit off real quick then back on.The noise will go away. Of course I'm not sure that is good for the TV.

2nd is and this is real easy. Once you hear the noise change the input to another mode. The noise will instantly quit and you can even go back to the mode you were watching before you switched the input mode and the noise is gone. That seems weird and not sure why switching the input mode would stop the noise but it seems too.

Let me know if anyone tries this and it works for them. I'd also love to hear anyone if they think of any reason why this would stop the noise. Thanks

Hi,

Well, my set has just come back from it's firmware upgrade and upon my first 5mins of viewing it seems the problem has been largely rectified. When the set is turned on you do hear the fans spool up as they used to but then they seem to slow and be reasonably quiet. The firmware upgrade probably reduced the RPM they run at. I am happy for now but it will take a few days and many movies to be sure.

Cheers.

Hi,

Well, my set has just come back from it's firmware upgrade and upon my first 5mins of viewing it seems the problem has been largely rectified. When the set is turned on you do hear the fans spool up as they used to but then they seem to slow and be reasonably quiet. The firmware upgrade probably reduced the RPM they run at. I am happy for now but it will take a few days and many movies to be sure.

Cheers.

did they upgrade the firmware on the spot at your house? or did you have to repackage the tv for them to pick it up?

also how long did it take?

ta

Edited by songaz
did they upgrade the firmware on the spot at your house? or did you have to repackage the tv for them to pick it up?

ta

He came to my house and tried to install the firmware upgrade but couldn't. He didn't have the right software. Told me if he had known the serial number he could have brought it with him :blink: He could have asked for it before coming out as they were aware of the issue I was having.

Now I have to wait until next Friday :angry2: As every day passes I feel like calling the retailer and organising the refund he promised me...

Edited by SRS13

How have people gone with this?

It has taken me a while to get a technician to come out but he's finally due to come out this afternoon. I won't be home unfortunately but I have someone home to let him in. I will be calling when he is there though.

I a little worried. What if the fans don't fire up when he's there? What if he does a firmware upgrade and it's then louder? Is the slower fan actually good for the TV?

Not sure what to do. I'll be very unhappy if he comes out and says that it's normal. They told me over the phone that they charge $150 if there is nothing wrong and because I'm not there to show him, he might just brush it off.

How have people gone so far? Is the firmware upgrade worth it or are the replacement fans better? I love the TV but seriously thinking of just taking it back and getting something different if they can't get rid of this sound.

Also, how to I tell the manufacture date? Is it on the TV or in the manual somewhere?

I think I'm going to cancel the technician.

I won't be home when he turns up in an hour and I got the person at home to turn the TV and test once more that the fan kicks in but it's not working. I don't want to be stung $150 for something where the technician doesn't here anything.

I can't figure it out though. Did your fan kick in straight away when the technician was out? I haven't noticed it the past few weeks but I've had the sound up or maybe it has stopped.

I really should have checked all this out before the technician came.

I cancelled the technician. I had someone at home leave it on for 15 mins and I couldn't get the fan to start.

I'm starting to think that maybe it was me and I only noticed the fans after the TV had been on for a certain amount of time. I guess it's normal for the fan to kick in after a certain amount of time. I guess the problem is that it is still loud so maybe I should just look at getting replacement fans put in or getting the firmware upgrade to lower the noise?

Not sure what to do now.

ta

I dropped the set off on Tuesday, Firmware updated Wednesday, pick up Thursday. It would have taken longer if I didn't deliver and pick up the set. From what I understand they should be able to update the firmware at your home. Although it seems some others have not been having a lot of luck with the techs.

I dropped the set off on Tuesday, Firmware updated Wednesday, pick up Thursday. It would have taken longer if I didn't deliver and pick up the set. From what I understand they should be able to update the firmware at your home. Although it seems some others have not been having a lot of luck with the techs.

Don't they just update the firmware by sticking a thumb drive in the USB slot?

They're talking about the motor that drives the fan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_DC_electric_motor

I'm VERY surprised they wouldn't use brushless fan motors in a product like this.

How bad was your flashlight issue? My Aug 2007 40X has mild flashlighting in the top right corner, though it's not so obnoxious that it intrudes 99% of the time.

OK I have a 46x3100 manufactured August 2007 (One of the first)

Noisy HUM. By chance my brothers work is the warranty repairer for Sony. He installed two new fans which made stuff all difference. However what we did notice is that when the fans were not plugged in the noise went away. But it wasn't the fans making the noise. It was the boards driving the fans. As soon as the fans span up and the boards drew a current load they began to hum. I am going to try the software upgrade but that is a prick in itself.

Firstly i had to see if my tv had a green dot in a specific part of the rear grill as this determined what type of chipset I had. As mine does not have a green dot and falls in a specific serial number range i also need to get a tuner replacement before the software upgrade can be installed. And as i know this will slow the fans down i am a little reluctant. Slowing the fans down will reduce the load and thus the boards will not produce as much hum.

How have people gone with this?

It has taken me a while to get a technician to come out but he's finally due to come out this afternoon. I won't be home unfortunately but I have someone home to let him in. I will be calling when he is there though.

I a little worried. What if the fans don't fire up when he's there? What if he does a firmware upgrade and it's then louder? Is the slower fan actually good for the TV?

Not sure what to do. I'll be very unhappy if he comes out and says that it's normal. They told me over the phone that they charge $150 if there is nothing wrong and because I'm not there to show him, he might just brush it off.

How have people gone so far? Is the firmware upgrade worth it or are the replacement fans better? I love the TV but seriously thinking of just taking it back and getting something different if they can't get rid of this sound.

Also, how to I tell the manufacture date? Is it on the TV or in the manual somewhere?

The fans wont change a thing. They are crappy sleeve ones and they are no different to the ones already in there. The manufacture date is on a sticker on the rear of the tv. My hum did not start until 2 months after i had the tv. See my other post regarding fan drive boards. They are making the noise. These little fans are nothing more than a typical cpu fan hanging off an older cpu. They seem to draw air in from top and push air across the inverter boards on each side of the tv. I have some happy snap pics of the inside if anyone is interested. I can show you exactly where the noise is emitting from

The fans wont change a thing. They are crappy sleeve ones and they are no different to the ones already in there. The manufacture date is on a sticker on the rear of the tv. My hum did not start until 2 months after i had the tv. See my other post regarding fan drive boards. They are making the noise. These little fans are nothing more than a typical cpu fan hanging off an older cpu. They seem to draw air in from top and push air across the inverter boards on each side of the tv. I have some happy snap pics of the inside if anyone is interested. I can show you exactly where the noise is emitting from

Yeah i'd be interested, email is pepper150@optusnet.com.au.

Would also be interested in your brothers opinion of which is a better model 46x/xbr or 52x/xbr. I'm returning my second 46xbr for 3 bright pixels and clouding and considering upgrading to the 52x3100. Other than the obvious size increase and fan deletion, are there any other differences ie. less prone to clouding ??

Hey guys

does any one know if the 46xbr model have the fan problem as well, or is it just the lower model w and x?

I have the 46xbr model. See my posts above - i have the fan problem big time. In fact, as demonstrated to the technician, you can hear the noise from 8m+ away from the TV.

Hi Steve_mac,

I have a 46X3100 (Dec07).

Would appreciate if you could send me the pictures of the internals and the details of what is causing the noise.

I am still awaiting a technician visit.

Many thanks,

Jonesman.

Email: jonesman@netspace.net.au

Got my Bravia 46 inch X-series 2 days ago, started watching a movie last night and was distracted by the fan noise. This is completely unacceptable for a product of this price range. TV manufacture date is Jan08.

Now that I see others have the same issue I am not happy with placing a warranty call given the TV is brand new. I will be requesting my money back or a unit that does not have this issue. I have sent Sony Australia and email via their website requesting a formal response, and will be talking to the retailer next.

:angry2:

Im getting mine replaced thursday!!! YAY finally, i hope he can install the firmware thu, apparently they use a sony pro duo card to install it! And yes they need to know what type your panel is (type 1 or type 2) not sure how they determine it though!

Don't they just update the firmware by sticking a thumb drive in the USB slot?

Nope - the updates are done from a Memory Stick, which gets inserted in the Memory Stick reader slot at the back of the TV (yes, THAT is what's behind the little "Service Only" cover :) )

OK I have a 46x3100 manufactured August 2007 (One of the first)

Firstly i had to see if my tv had a green dot in a specific part of the rear grill as this determined what type of chipset I had.

What I've been told more than once - including by the Sony-appointed tech who looked at mine - is that the dot sticker indicates that the TV had its firmware updated in Australia before being shipped. My sticker is orange by the way.

As mine does not have a green dot and falls in a specific serial number range i also need to get a tuner replacement before the software upgrade can be installed.

A tuner *replacement*? Surely not. Firmware update for the tuner, I would have thought would be more likely.

What was the serial number range quoted to you?

so it is safe to say that the firmware upgrade has done its job by reducing the amount of buzzing noise the TV produces?

What I've been told more than once - including by the Sony-appointed tech who looked at mine - is that the dot sticker indicates that the TV had its firmware updated in Australia before being shipped. My sticker is orange by the way.

so basically orange means that the firmware has not been updated? where abouts is this "dot sticker" located?

also would someone be able to post up the number i would have to call to talk to a sony technician?

thanks

so basically orange means that the firmware has not been updated? where abouts is this "dot sticker" located?

I don't think the colour is relevant. The Sony-appointed tech said he expected green but the fact there was a dot sticker there at all meant the firmware had been updated already, something he confirmed anyway by attempting an update.

also would someone be able to post up the number i would have to call to talk to a sony technician?

thanks

Sony doesn't actually have any technicians; you call their support line and if they deem you need a visit, they farm the job out to one of the companies they hire to do the work.

A couple of weeks ago i was debating getting a technician out or trying the retailer again - i opted for the latter. Fortunately he was very understanding (Sony Central) and has replaced my 46xbr with one that's just arrived in Australia. this one's got manufacture date jan 08 and no sticker on the back BTW. just turned it on and couldn't hear a thing, for the first 6 or 7 seconds, then the dreaded noise started again. I don't think I can go back to the retailer for a third time, after all, it's not his fault there's a bunch of crappy tvs he's been provided with, so I'll try putting in a call to Sony and getting a technician out.

I can't believe a supposedly premium tv has these problems at all and i'm p1ssed off that none of the reviews i saw on various websites noted this issue. I wish now i'd been a complete n00b and done no research into the supposedly "best" lcd out there - a cheaper samsung or similar brand not only would've saved me a couple of thousand bucks but would've saved me all these headaches.

Has anyone else had the firmware upgrade done? Any feedback?

I am going to wait until this is done and then make the decision if I will keep it or not.

Besides the Kuro there is nothing else on the market that I want. The 52 inch would be nice but I dont want to spend another $2000 for a slightly bigger TV.

For lack of better words, this is crap.

Seems like there is no fix for this problem. How can that be? This is a premium TV. If the 52x wasn't an extra $2,000, I'd be demanding this be returned and getting that one.

I'm still thinking about demanding money back or something and getting a different LCD but I do really like the Sony.

Is it pretty much confirmed that a tech can't fix anything? Whether they replace the fans or upgrade the firmware? Are we stuck with this problem?

The original Bravias 2006 had fans.,,.,, people complained.

The digital 2007 models had no fans, no one complained.

The 2007-08 models all have fans. People like yourself have complained. It's not a fault but the basic cooling technology used for LCD

When people see any TV in a show room it's invariably noisy and the set is turned up LOUD.

On the HD ready TV's like the V3100 series the fan is on full always.

I haven't noticed the X series because I own a x2000 series and it has no fan.

Circuit boards strapped to a hot LCD panel are going to be hot. Like some PC owners there are Mods that have been done to reduce the fan noise.

When I get a x3100 or XBR series to play with I will see what can be done.

BTW If you try to disconnect it - the fan fail circuit cuts the powersupply.

I noticed a Bravia shut down at 42C ambient temperature during our minor heat wave last month. internal temp sensor said 61

>generally the outside ambient temp is 23C and the internal temp sensor is 36C

> a note : coloured dots stuck to your 3100 series model number stciker indicate that a firmware update was done for Australian only TV sound transmission conditions, but nothing to do with the fan noise.

Edited by hideous62

I just checked my TV and it is an August 2007 one.

If anyone else has a Jan 2008 one, I'd like to know if the buzz is there because I'll return this if it looks like the problem was fixed in the later models.

Interested to hear how the fan replacement goes though too.

I am supposed to get the technician come in on Friday and install the replacement fans. However, the girl from the warranty service company has not even the slightest technical idea or willingness to understand what she is talking about. The sad impression I got from her is that the replacement fans are exactly the same as the original ones.

Meantime, a friend's cousing bought the 46" Samsung TV which has an LCD panel made in the joint factory with Sony - almost identical to the one in Bravia series. Yes the Samsung is presumably using the fans to cool the LCD panel.

Yet the Samsung is not making any noise. I repeat, the Samsung does not make fan noise.

Therefore, it is not a good excuse to blame the technology of the TV. If Samsung can be quiet, so can the Sony.

We all know that it is the fan causing the noise, so it is sonys fault for not inspecting the quality of the fans before installing them into the tvs, or for not choosing a better fan that does not make much noise!!! I will keep you all posted, and i will take note of the new fans and the old fans to see if they are of different design!